Submitted by Jacco Bikker, posted on July 12, 2001

Image Description, by Jacco Bikker

These are shots from a game that I am developing for PocketPC. The game plays like the old 8-bit Metal Gear games. I wanted a game with more story and less action then the average PocketPC game; the PocketPC doesn't lend itself very well for fast action, and the platform completely lacks adventure games.

About the shots: The top-left shot shows the menu, with a spinning mesh at the left side, and the playfield visible through the menu. Top-right: This looks like action, I know, but it isn't: Here the player finds out that the exit is blocked. Lower left: A shot from the 'full version' of the game (under development). Lower right: The inventory screen.

Some remarks about technology: The game uses MikMod for 4-channel module playback (a port of MikMod is available for PocketPC, and runs quite well). The game demo uses 4Mb of graphics data, compressed to 2Mb. I use ZLib to read the compressed data at run-time. The game is controlled using the cursor keys or the stylus (on the PC: The mouse). This is because not all PocketPC devices have good cursor keys, in that case, the stylus works better. The game can be compiled (unmodified, and without defines) on PocketPC and PC. The PC support is a bit flaky on slower machines (some problems with Windows events) but is good enough to do the development completely on the PC, wich saves uploading to the device and eases debugging. To accomplish this I wrote a library, EasyCE, that completely hides platform differences between various brands and Win9x.

O yeah, I did all the art myself, except for the music and some meshes that I stole from 3DCafe. :)

The PC demo (and PocketPC versions of course) can be downloaded from http://pizza.hvu.nl/~kouwenhs.

goltrpoat

July 13, 2001, 01:58 PM

my theory is that mc baxton accounts for 70-75% of the eastern european reefer market.

-goltrpoat

MC BAXTON

July 13, 2001, 02:03 PM

Seems like Mr. E. A .D eninger wants that I repeat my post over and over again. Just want to say that you can be sure in following: every my post is completely unique and will remain unique for ages
Amen

L.e.Denninger

July 13, 2001, 02:10 PM

Yup.

MC_Baxton's theory of life :
"It's plain to see, you can't change me, 'cause I'm gonna be a butthole for life!" :)

fluffy

July 13, 2001, 02:16 PM

Wow, Cosmi's still around? They did all sorts of kick-ass games back in the C64 days... Defcon 5, Mediator, Forbidden Forest... they ruled. I'm surprised that they haven't gone out of business like all the other good gaming companies of the 80s.

NEGA

July 13, 2001, 02:38 PM

-I don't want to understand him or love him!
-I just want to know what the hell he means by "2.34665 3D" and "possible fitting best graphic accelerators in this PC and do not need water cooling system".

Never mind, i don't even want to know what he means. This cant be drug enduced, it must be some kind of birth defect retardation. I always enjoy looking at the IOTD's until MC posts something. This one is especialy good, and reminds me of Chrono Trigger( the bottom left pic, looks like a room from future world).

JCAB

July 13, 2001, 03:38 PM

But what's wrong with "action"? Games can't have enough!

I disagree. I'd say SOME games can't have enough.

You ever played Stars!? :) For the first month of playing a game you're not likely to see much action, but the game is still very cool.

Mournblade

July 13, 2001, 04:56 PM

> Well, at least for me with this 1200x1600 res, it doesnt take up
> much screen space..

1200x1600? You have your monitor on it's side?-)

plek/Solar

July 14, 2001, 10:03 AM

sodemieter toch eens op met dat bekvechten!

hike1

July 21, 2001, 12:35 PM

Your 'Demo' page comes up blank in Opera.