Submitted by Jacco Bikker, posted on July 12, 2001

Image Description, by Jacco Bikker

These are shots from a game that I am developing for PocketPC. The game plays like the old 8-bit Metal Gear games. I wanted a game with more story and less action then the average PocketPC game; the PocketPC doesn't lend itself very well for fast action, and the platform completely lacks adventure games.

About the shots: The top-left shot shows the menu, with a spinning mesh at the left side, and the playfield visible through the menu. Top-right: This looks like action, I know, but it isn't: Here the player finds out that the exit is blocked. Lower left: A shot from the 'full version' of the game (under development). Lower right: The inventory screen.

Some remarks about technology: The game uses MikMod for 4-channel module playback (a port of MikMod is available for PocketPC, and runs quite well). The game demo uses 4Mb of graphics data, compressed to 2Mb. I use ZLib to read the compressed data at run-time. The game is controlled using the cursor keys or the stylus (on the PC: The mouse). This is because not all PocketPC devices have good cursor keys, in that case, the stylus works better. The game can be compiled (unmodified, and without defines) on PocketPC and PC. The PC support is a bit flaky on slower machines (some problems with Windows events) but is good enough to do the development completely on the PC, wich saves uploading to the device and eases debugging. To accomplish this I wrote a library, EasyCE, that completely hides platform differences between various brands and Win9x.

O yeah, I did all the art myself, except for the music and some meshes that I stole from 3DCafe. :)

The PC demo (and PocketPC versions of course) can be downloaded from http://pizza.hvu.nl/~kouwenhs.

Octopussy

July 12, 2001, 04:55 PM

WOOoo.. I never seen Pocket PC games.. this is just impressive !

LacrosseGoalie

July 12, 2001, 05:20 PM

Jacco, this game is simply amazing!!! I can't wait until I get my PocketPC repaired to play this!!!!

TrapZZ

July 12, 2001, 05:28 PM

wow that looks awesome! - I've never developed for a hand held but i'd like to someday. What do you use for a graphics API? - or do you have to write your own?

Uthman

July 12, 2001, 06:02 PM

I remember easyce and lemmings and all that stuff... i wanted to start with it, but the easyce site was down for like 2 weeks and i couldnt get any of the information :(((((((....izit back up jacco?

Murazor

July 12, 2001, 06:53 PM

Well Jacco, finally an IOTD for Nutcracker! Great stuff, but I must have mentioned that before.. :)

Richard

lycium

July 12, 2001, 07:10 PM

nice, i've fumbled a bit with gameboy advance programming, was quite cool, but hard to speed things up (without resorting to assembler, and not x86 asm for that matter).

carry on with the "too fast to be fun" thing :>

Buster

July 12, 2001, 07:26 PM

Cool, I like it. But what's wrong with "action"? Games can't have enough!

BTW, yes programming for the Gameboy Advance is brutal! Hopefully we will switch to X-Box. :)

Gryphin

July 12, 2001, 07:34 PM

very cool, it's always great to see new and cool things for unusual platforms. I've always thought that there could be some cool things done with the old style scrollers for the PDA market. I'd love to see some games like Raiden or Abuse on my PocketPC.

MauMan

July 12, 2001, 10:07 PM

Looks really good. Once you're close to finishing it and if you want to publish it look into Cosmi's Palm/PocketPC arm. A friend of mine has published a game pack through Cosmi and they have treated him well. To learn more about Cosmi read this writeup in Inc.

Note: I do not get anything from cosmi for promoting them :)

MauMan

July 12, 2001, 10:10 PM

Sorry. The Inc article is http://www.inc.com/articles/details/0,3532,CID22304_REG3,00.html

Dan MacDonald

July 13, 2001, 02:39 AM

Jakko works for a game company :) i'm sure he wont have any problems getting it published if he wants to.

Great job jakko, you make the coolest PPC stuff around. What happenend to the Voxel Engine?

Phantom

July 13, 2001, 03:01 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the kind stuff! Some answers:
TrapZZ: I use GAPI, a free API that provides frame buffer access. Sadly, the frame buffer is different on each device, so I wrote my own API to compensate for this (EasyCE).
Uthman: EasyCE is now updated and available from the tech page on the link that I posted below the IOTD.
Murazor: This IOTD is to celebrate your vacation. Boy, I needed that. :)
Buster: There's nothing wrong with action, except when you're playing with a pencil on a fragile PocketPC screen. :)
Grayphin: Abuse would be cool... Wasn't the source code to that game released? I'll have a look. :)
Dan MacDonald: The voxel engine will eventually be used in a game. :)

Greets,
Jacco

Ramon Smits

July 13, 2001, 04:01 AM

I first saw the walls in the picture and thought "Hey the wall structure looks like Metal Gear" and then the text to read "The game plays like the old 8-bit Metal Gear games".

Downloaded the PC version and ran it for some minutes.

Nice little game indeed!

L.e.Denninger

July 13, 2001, 04:08 AM

Two thumbs in! ..erhm.. up Jacco :)
Looks pretty!

Murazor

July 13, 2001, 06:23 AM

"Murazor: This IOTD is to celebrate your vacation. Boy, I needed that. :)"
Good old Jacco, not capable of saying anything nice... :)
BTW... why didn't you take the chance to show off a bit more with your cool home-written multi-color-on-dual-color CE graphics-lib here? That's not like you at all... :)

MC BAXTON

July 13, 2001, 06:30 AM

WooohoAAA !!
Incredible stuff !
I have never had pocket PC, but 'probably' it roxx !
And now I'm almost sure that this probability is even higher than before...
THis game is almost 2.34665 3D ! THat is simply incredible... enuff said.
mmm... BUt not sure that is possible fitting best graphic accelerators in this PC and do not need water cooling system, which could easily take 5 more pockets for that...

Mournblade

July 13, 2001, 07:16 AM

The look reminds me of a game on the PSX that game out by Gremlin, which I can't remember the name of, with artwork by someone I can't remember the name of either. What I do remember was that it was very gory, quite fun to play and a MCB himself pointed out 2.5D.

Murazor

July 13, 2001, 07:20 AM

Is it just my limited knowledge of the fine english language, or is this guy typing under influence?

Murazor

July 13, 2001, 07:26 AM

No hard feelings btw, mr Baxton... I just don't seem to get the last sentence... but then again.. it's probably me... :)

L.e.Denninger

July 13, 2001, 08:04 AM

Nah, you're right...

It's publicly accepted on Flipcode that MC_Baxton can either
a) not read/write English very well
or
b) say something other people can understand / relate to.

It doesn't really matter, we love him just the way he is :-)

Plek/Shortcut

July 13, 2001, 08:17 AM

i'd like to ask mr. baxton and led to remove those amazingly annoying signatures ;)

plek/karma

L.e.Denninger

July 13, 2001, 08:20 AM

Christ, I was already wondering when someone would ask :)
It even started to annoy *me* :-)

So this is it for the last time :)

Dodger_

July 13, 2001, 09:44 AM

> Christ, I was already wondering when someone would ask :)
> It even started to annoy *me* :-)

How about you drop YOUR annoying signature? That Legal Notice crap is complete fluff
that wouldn't be asserted in court and you only need the first sentence up to the comma
of the Disclaimer. Sheesh, what's with people and "must have more signature than signal!"?

That EasyCE lib looks pretty interesting. If I ever develop any games for my iPAQ, I might
have to look at it more closely.

Dodger_

plek/Solar

July 13, 2001, 10:06 AM

keihard op de lul slaan!

Lucid

July 13, 2001, 10:37 AM

How about you drop YOUR annoying signature?
Thats what he was refering to... He said he was gonna drop it... oh well, its not very annoying.. Well, at least for me with this 1200x1600 res, it doesnt take up much screen space..

.-wXm-.

July 13, 2001, 10:48 AM

isnt it suppose to be 1600x1200 :)..
nice.. same as me :)..

LacrosseGoalie

July 13, 2001, 11:57 AM

I agree

Willem

July 13, 2001, 12:13 PM

Auw, dat doet pijn, jonguh! Hij's een beetje blauw

L.e.Denninger

July 13, 2001, 12:21 PM

Dodger - you dumbass :)

>How about you drop YOUR annoying signature?

What, did you think I was referring to YOUR signature..?
Or Santaclaus's signature..?

Nah, I was referring to *MY* major-pain-in-the-butt-signature ofcourse :)

Jesse