Submitted by Luke Hodorowicz, posted on July 11, 2001

Image Description, by Luke Hodorowicz

This is a screen shot from once of the scenes in a demo I made called 'Electric Hairgel Rave'

The demo is powered by my 3D engine, Vapor, which I have been developing in my free time. You can download the demo and see a few more screenshots on my website: http://gollum.flipcode.com/

PsyVision

July 11, 2001, 01:13 PM

Damn that looks nice, i love your engine !

z66831

July 11, 2001, 01:16 PM

I've been following the Vapor engine for a while, and it's looking really good. I like to see engine coders that understand the importance of gameplay enough to build prototype and test games on top of graphics technologies without waiting until all the "neato" features are in.

This shot looks really cool, and different from any of the other stuff you've done with it. Kudos!

-z

lycium

July 11, 2001, 01:34 PM

nice! what happened to the racing game though? i've been wanting to play that wipeout 2097 style racer for a while :)

Warren Marshall

July 11, 2001, 01:36 PM

"I like to see engine coders that understand the importance of gameplay enough to build prototype and test games on top of graphics technologies without waiting until all the "neato" features are in."

In fairness, engine coders are generally not the ones responsible for the gameplay.

lycium

July 11, 2001, 01:36 PM

egad, just saw on your site that you killed it! nooooo... if i get enough people to say they want to play it, will you release what you've got? :)

Kurt Miller

July 11, 2001, 01:42 PM

">>if i get enough people to say they want to play it, will you release what you've got"

You do realize he's had a demo of the racing game on his site since January, right? Perhaps you were refering to changes since then, but if not, check out his downloads page.

z66831

July 11, 2001, 01:48 PM

I meant, specifically, in the free project "hobbiest" arena. I realize that, in a professional setting, these are different jobs... it's just refreshing to see an independent engine that isn't all graphics features and no scene graph, etc.

-z

mice

July 11, 2001, 01:48 PM

Ass kickin'!!
And you've done it ALL yourself!!

richard

July 11, 2001, 01:54 PM

That demo is absolutely brilliant!

I love it :)
(especially that waterfall scene)

Alexander Blach

July 11, 2001, 02:04 PM

I can only agree!

Great demo! I loved it.

lycium

July 11, 2001, 02:09 PM

aha, the many interesting things one finds when one looks...

thanks for the kick up the arse :)

Warren Marshall

July 11, 2001, 02:12 PM

OK, in that case I agree. Too many people label their projects as "game engines" ... what they really are, are "graphics engines".

Fifth

July 11, 2001, 02:24 PM

I'd just like the say that the scene with the viewscreens looking upon other viewscreens looking upon other viewscreens... That was cool. :)

Jonathan

The Wolf

July 11, 2001, 03:27 PM

Very nice, Is your engine still BSP/PVS? have you considered any other partitioning scheme?

Rectilinear Cat

July 11, 2001, 03:31 PM

Haven't tried the demo, but the shots on your site are absolutely spectacular! Especially the water and fog mixing thing.

Speaking of water, how do you handle it? Do you animate the vertices or the texture coordinates to similate the ebbing of the water? I've been trying to implement a system where the texture coordinates are shifted over time to make the water swirly (kinda like Quake), but I can't get it to look right. Any tips?

Blaze

July 11, 2001, 03:36 PM

You are so tight!

Prince

July 11, 2001, 03:44 PM

Very Nice. I think those little messages are a nice touch. And it runs great on my system. P2 350 64mb Voodoo 3 2000

z66831

July 11, 2001, 04:48 PM

Very well put. :)

-z

z66831

July 11, 2001, 05:00 PM

I just downloaded and watched the demo.

DAMN.

Very cool. Solid artistically, and very impressive tech-wise. Ran smooth as glass (1G Athlon, GF3, 256MB).

-z

Mark Friedenbach

July 11, 2001, 05:05 PM

Nice pic.

Back when you started work on the racing game, you said you might release the API specs for your engine, so others could mess around with it. What ever happened to that?

I for one am very interested.

David Olsson

July 11, 2001, 05:55 PM

I interested too. More the layout than using it. After reading "elements of an engine", I'd really like to see what the api look like.

Buster

July 11, 2001, 06:27 PM

Nice, reminds me of running for the C train in the morning!

Phased

July 11, 2001, 07:57 PM

Just tried the demo. What can I say. WOW! You did ALL that yourself. Thats a lot of work. Very impressive. Now that is what I call dedication.

Kezza

July 11, 2001, 08:38 PM

Nice,
This is one of those iotd's that you sit back and admire for its grapihical beauty (can't download it thanks to dial-up speed)... then freak when you realize that you need to do 900+ hours on your own project to get it to look half as good.

or in my case, multiply the figure by twelve

Douglas Cox

July 12, 2001, 12:46 AM

Hehe... You should see the kinda crap we put poor Luke through at work.. Not to mention the fact that he has to put up with me all day :).

Very nice btw! Now if only we were doing an indoor FPS....
-doug

DirtyPunk

July 12, 2001, 02:09 AM

I was wondering when this was going to go IOTD :)

This demo rocks so much and its good that its finally made it to the site. Anyone who's been to New England (And specifically Boston and even more specifically Academic Cambridge) might recognise this picture as based on the Redline T :)

Luke and I rode it together in Boston - its a freaky experience.

Joakim Hårsman

July 12, 2001, 03:54 AM

Freaky, I downloaded the demo a couple of days ago and then it turns out as an Image of the day. Good work, especially the church part looked _really_ good.

.-wXm-.

July 12, 2001, 11:41 AM

humm.. saw something strange in the last scene of the demo.
the dancing blue lady is spinning with the scene but with a great distance off center..

the trees. are you planing on puting leaves on them?
Im braindancing on trees my self. think yours looked nice.

real good work even did the music. great..

LordDaha

July 12, 2001, 04:14 PM

looks very professional. Would get you a game job if you didn't have one allready :-)

FatNinja

July 12, 2001, 07:19 PM

It is a 1st person game, didn't you hear? We changed the design yesterday! Time to start over.

Luke - very nice work. I really like your music too.

Wayne