Submitted by James Bond, posted on July 07, 2001

Image Description, by James Bond

After months of on and off working, I finally finished my game. It's a Busta Move clone, in some places Puzzle Bobble, which I created in C, using the Allegro games library. Found at, www.allegro.cc. One day I really got into this game, so I decided to create my own version of it which is what you see today. As far as the technology goes, it's nothing too special. I recently read an article on particle flow in Game Developer, so I decided to put that into the title screen of the game. I hope you like it.

The Busta Move game can be found at: http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~raider1/busta.zip

David Frey

July 07, 2001, 01:37 PM

Wow, that looks great! Hope it plays as good as it looks. :)

Michel Stol

July 07, 2001, 02:16 PM

Hey (my first post here at flipcode :))

It doesn't play at all here :(

System: win2k, 128mb, 1 GHz Thunderbird, Voodoo Banshee (...)

But the screenshot sure looks good! :)

Grtz

Paul

July 07, 2001, 03:04 PM

Nice game. I played for 30 minutes, but I couldn't get past level 3 :) Good job.

Alexander Blach

July 07, 2001, 03:44 PM

Well, I tried to play it.

But it doesn't seem to run on Windows 2000 (lack of DOS support?).

Otherwise it sure looks cool!

iMalc

July 07, 2001, 07:55 PM

Bust A Move rocks. I guess this doesn't support two player though. That is the best part.
Looks nice anyway.

DynaByte

July 07, 2001, 08:06 PM

Very nice. I'm addicted to Snood (www.snood.com) which is basically the same concept, a Puzzle Bobble clone.

Good job.
DB

MC BAXTON

July 07, 2001, 08:12 PM

In fact its one of the best iotd. Seems that not all understand that. But .. Im dissappointed that its a clone. However, its interesting and finished. And most if not everyone here should learn to finish game, and not just mast...... on engine basis.
Too bad u havent tested it on win2k but on win98 it works good. But, just notice that I would hate to use *.bat in my games. It makes game look .. unfinished (?)

maddoc

July 07, 2001, 08:18 PM

Nice game, I like the animations of the green aliens but
there is a "logical error" in the game menu
If you try to abort the game the phrase "GAME OVER" pops up. (By the way it takes to long until the user is able to do something.)
So the player tries to exit the game, what does he/she do?? Push ESC continually but the programm wants the user to hit the SPACE Key.
And you know the Users!! ;-)
To your particle system I like to say the following: It looks great from the point of movement but just white dots moving around?! Why not small sprites of these balls?! Hehe I don't know Puzzle Bobble maybe these balls have names?! ;-)
The game idea is pretty cool!
And guys don't forget ALL I said was just constructive!! The game is really cool!

Buster

July 08, 2001, 01:40 AM

It hangs my system when I try to quit. (windows 2000)

maddoc

July 08, 2001, 04:07 AM

lol

raiderr1

July 08, 2001, 07:00 AM

I just wanted to thank everybody for their very nice comments on my game. I realize their are still some problems with it, such as not running in win2k, but I'm happy with it, and very proud to say it's finished.

Jesse

July 08, 2001, 01:49 PM

in total agreement :-)
Jesse
www.laeuchli.com/jesse/

TheMadGoblin

July 08, 2001, 05:36 PM

You're darn lucky I don't have epilepsy! Good God!

FlySwat99

July 08, 2001, 05:52 PM

Its rather easy to fix this game to run under Windows 2000 (or NT4 for that matter). Instead of using DJGPP to compile it, recompile it using MingW32 (And the Ming port of allegro of course). It will make a native 32 bit windows application instead a of a DOS program and it should run fine under windows.

If you don't know how to do this, Send the source to me and I'll be happy to send you a win32 binary in return.

--FlySwat99

phueppl

July 08, 2001, 07:12 PM

Nice IOTD... still wating for the win32 binary though (NT4.0 forever :p)..

I just liked the contrast of one posters system:

Thunderbird 1 Ghz with a Voodoo Banshee.. heehe... wow... Is ist a Server? j/k

cya,
Phil

tuler

July 08, 2001, 11:05 PM

Very nice gameplay, I played for 1 hour or so. I didn't know that game.
There are a few bugs in the game itself, sometimes a ball disappears.

Good work!

Kurt Miller

July 08, 2001, 11:17 PM

Very cool game. Mouse support would be nice. I still play "Bubble Puzzle" every now and then (freeware Bust-a-Move clone), and I've grown used to a much faster-paced game using the mouse to aim. Anyway, congrats on finishing a game.

Zemedelec

July 09, 2001, 03:30 AM

stupid

LordDaha

July 09, 2001, 04:50 AM

are you?

Michel Stol

July 09, 2001, 09:28 AM

Hehe, my dad bought me the system, but it was an emergency upgrade (as my motherboard died), so he didn't buy me a new videocard :(

And I don't have enough money atm to buy one :(
(you are free to donate me one though ;))

INFerNa|

July 09, 2001, 02:01 PM

It looks fine and for those who cannot get past level 3.. you just suck. this game and bustamove rule and are easy and fun.

I did however ahev a problem with the sound.
it came in all garbly and scrathy. very awful sounding.
i use a pII450,tnt2u vid,sblive! value.

INFerNa|