Submitted by James Fingleton, posted on July 05, 2001

Image Description, by James Fingleton

This IOTD shows my engine (The FingleTron Engine) at work running my small version of Star Wars Episode 1’s pod racer game. The ‘game’ allows the player to control the pod using the mouse. It has sound (just the engines at the moment) and pretty accurate collision detection (polygon-polygon), which isn’t quite perfect yet. You can have a bit of a joyride around a track I knocked up. The pod racer itself was created by a friend of mine. The landscape is just a flat plane with various mountans and rocks, but the engine is not supposed to be a landscape engine.

The engine features loading of .3ds files (thanks to all who those in the forums at flipcode who helped me on this recently), OpenGL rendering, polygon perfect collision detection where filtering is done on the scene to speed things up, full scene hierarchy, object hierarchies, full 3d position sound (achieved through FMOD) and sky domes.

My VERY temporary web site where you can download the game is : www.uea.ac.uk/~u9937102

A friend of mine is currently in the process of building me a much much better website that will contain a lot more information about the engine, the games I will create with it, and hopefully projects other people will create using the engine.

Bye

James Fingleton

TunJin

July 05, 2001, 12:26 PM

FIRST?

looks nice!

especially the objects on lower left image.

Pants

July 05, 2001, 12:29 PM

That is cool!

So what are you going to use the Engine supposed to be for if its not a terrain engine?

_Venom

July 05, 2001, 12:38 PM

Ran the demo. Looks pretty good. It crashed on my when I tried to fly between the huge mountains. Most likely because all the textures were too big for my card memory. I have a (gasp) voodoo3 3000 (still) w/16MB ram. I can fly around everywhere but in the mountains hehe.
Anyway, no source code release? :)

Jesse Chounard

July 05, 2001, 12:54 PM

It crashes on my machine too. (I have Voodoo 3 2000, maybe there's a problem with Voodoo 3's.)

Before it crashes, it looks really good. How are you doing the shadows? Just projections onto the ground plane?

Jesse

Kurt Miller

July 05, 2001, 01:05 PM

It runs for a bit then crashes for me as well (TNT2). The controls were a little odd, as in I don't think the cursor keys correspond to 'look around' as described in the readme, but other than that, its looking very good... any idea about that crash bug we're having?

SientStrike

July 05, 2001, 01:20 PM

It runs for about 2-3 seconds, and then crashes on my system.

700 mhz athlon
GeForce 3
Windows 2000

EGreg

July 05, 2001, 01:31 PM

It's probably DIrectX at fault, hehehe

But seriously, you didn't take any data from pod racer it seems, except the look

-Greg

lycium

July 05, 2001, 01:39 PM

god forbid a game engine isn't a terrain engine!

Isaack Rasmussen

July 05, 2001, 02:02 PM

It crashes on my computer as well.

It isn't because of the textures, I think it's the collisionDetection engine.
Try and race out of the track, you can race for as long you want to. But as soon as you get close to a object, it crashes.

Jukka Liimatta

July 05, 2001, 02:24 PM

EGreg, you're still my idol. ;-)

-wogston

davepermen

July 05, 2001, 02:34 PM

hey, looks great so far, i look if i can download it sometimes, but first i try if my account now works, letz hope it and thanks, kurt miller

sea cow

July 05, 2001, 02:45 PM

So how did you get around Yoda's axiom of "do, or do not, there is no try" during your collision detection? Nice scenes!

DooMWiz

July 05, 2001, 03:49 PM

whooo, it was awesome for the 3 seconds it ran before it crashed. =]

blowndisk

July 05, 2001, 04:00 PM

Nice engine!

It IS the collision detection! I moved out of the map and when I re-entered the track and was about to collide with something, it simply crashed.

Caba

July 05, 2001, 04:03 PM

Fix it!

elikez

July 05, 2001, 04:49 PM

hmm... looks good but as everybody said - it crashes.

Ps. are those 3dsmax textures? (

absurd

July 05, 2001, 04:50 PM

Yep. Really nice game and engine. And even nicer after you fix that bug. (I'm really pleased to see that my replies went on good purpose:) I also think that the bug that causes the crash is in collision detection. It doesn't crash if you drive to the open land at start.

Jeff Quesnelle

July 05, 2001, 05:04 PM

I'm not going to download it seeing that I also have a Voodoo3 3000 w/ 16MB RAM. I'm pretty sure of the results. But it *looks* good form the screens. Did you model the pods yourself?

Defiant

July 05, 2001, 05:15 PM

He said a friend did it for him.

Looking really good!

EGreg

July 05, 2001, 05:16 PM

Is that supposed to surprise me? How are you different from everybody else who views my posts?

I am kidding in the above line. Do not blaspheme and idol worship.

I'm serious.

Greg

davepermen

July 05, 2001, 05:37 PM

btw, you have nice window-buttons on the right-top of your windows, minimize, maximize, close and whatahell else?

not yet downloaded.. currently at other stuff..

but i will do:)

James Fingleton

July 05, 2001, 06:00 PM

Yeah! I'm finally here to answer a few questions:

Firstly, sorry about the collision detection bug! It has nothing to do with the gfx card, because I've had a chance to test on a range of gfx cards....probably something to do with my slightly buggy code :)

The collision detection is archived by doing:
- Firstly a sphere-sphere intersection test (this eliminates the majority of the objects in the scene).
- Then a OOB-OOB test
- Then a polygon-polygon test

...so somewhere along this line, there's an error which only occurs on some systems. Damn

Some of the textures are from 3ds Max. The pod and pod texture were created by a friend of mine (apoccrow@crosswinds.net), he has also just completed Sebulba's pod, which I will implement as soon as possible.

The extra buttons you can see in the top right are winamp buttons (through a plugin).

The engine is a 3rd year project of mine, and I'm trying to create an engine that is generic as possible. So it will not only do scenes like the above, but also indoor scenes, space scenes etc...
Eventually www.fingletron.com will be completed, and you will be able to download the sdk with sample code etc...The developer will be able to create plugins for the engine. This is how they will write application specific code.

Thanks

James

cubicle

July 05, 2001, 06:12 PM

yup same here on my geforce1 ddr celery 300@450 192mb w2k system it crashes too.
looks nice the first few seconds or whenever i am not close to anything... but just like in podracer could you up the speed limit... i'd love to fly those suckers at ludicrous speeds (hit da break) :)

FuMo

July 05, 2001, 06:47 PM

gefore ddr 256mb ram ath 800 w2k Does a WHOLE lap!! (and then I got bored). Just a minor thing... When you turn it stays at that angle would be nice if it over time re ajusted back to horizontal if u see what I mean. oh and if the cables moved around that would be cool. Other than that very cool.

MC BAXTON

July 05, 2001, 07:10 PM

The code above crashes after pressing rigt/left mouse button and holding it for approx (1-3 seconds). Because initially player is looking at the ground obviously looking for 'small important items', player has natural wish to look higher. After some manipulations using two mouse buttons and desperate mouse movement player sometimes achieve his/ her goal, usually after 5-7 seconds.
Gameplay is very short and it ends quickly with nice dialog box "Illegal operation". After just one more legal operation(ok button), game finishes. But player also has a possibility to debug code, by pressing abort button (if VC++ is installed), and practice some of his/her debugging skills.

1) it saves your time
2) it can help to improve your skills

so its extremely recommended for daily use

flsherman

July 05, 2001, 07:32 PM

hmmm those min requirements are to be followed...my PII350 didn't like the framerates very well ( < 3fps) It looked good though..hehe :)

Isaack Rasmussen

July 05, 2001, 09:16 PM

*LOL* Nice one, Warren.

erik robson

July 05, 2001, 10:59 PM

I almost hate to say it... but is the poly-poly collision detection really necessary?
Once you've done a trivial reject with the spheres, and you do OBB-OBB, does it really need to get higher-resolution than that? If you have individual boxes for the two engines and the pod, there isn't much more to it, is there?

(I just hate to see processor power going into making one element "perfect" when "good enough" is cheaper and gets the job done.)

Stefan Karlsson

July 06, 2001, 12:28 AM

well.. i mean like.. perfect collission detection is (i think it is atleast) VERY important.. since it gives you the feeling its real.. and i believe more games could use more advanced/sophisticated/cheat-more-get-it-look-real collission detections... Altough it only has to be perfect where the player is :) (Yes, this is a problem on network games.. but since we all know there will be cheats anyways.. lets skip making the game not-so-easy-to-crack since they will be anyways.. and make them look/feel good :)

Also.. Hardware T&L proper used takes gives you so much cpu power on an athlon box (Not that I have one.. but soon most likely everyone will )

Ok.. There is some more crap you want cpu for.. ai etc (not for network games tho.. or well.. not much atleast:)

And so on.....

Maybee a big company should fixx some FAST HARDWARE for servers in each country.. and build their own cpus for collission detection etc when it comes to network games.. could make it non-cheatable and real cool ;p (ok.. small companys can say good bye.. but it will improve the gaming market iam sure :)

go ahead and flame my post.. iam very tired.. slow laptop iam on.. but the keyboard feels nice.. makes me horny.. iam writing alot because of it.. BANG my penis exploded ;p