Submitted by Warren Marshall, posted on July 03, 2001

Image Description, by Warren Marshall

This is a shot of the level editor for a Lode Runner clone I'm doing. The reason I'm doing it is to give my 2D GUI a good work out. So far it's performing well.

It uses DirectX 8 for rendering. The GUI, and this editor, are entirely 2D applications but the renderer DLL I have set up is capable of doing 3D as well. I'm doing this quick game to give them both a good run and see what breaks. Heh.

Using my GUI I was able to get this editor up and running in a few hours. True, it's nothing too fancy, but it proves the GUI works under real world situations and that was the important thing.

A full description and more shots of the GUI can be found at my hosted site right here on Flipcode, http://epicboy.flipcode.com/.

lycium

July 03, 2001, 03:40 PM

i love to see some old classics coming back :)

valg3

July 03, 2001, 04:09 PM

Pretty cool. I can remember wasting hours away on Loade Runner :-)

fluffy

July 03, 2001, 04:26 PM

Ah, yes, the inaugural API test application. Good choice. :) Hopefully you'll find all the major architectural problems now, rather than after you've got a lot of code to rewrite.

Warren Marshall

July 03, 2001, 04:36 PM

"Hopefully you'll find all the major architectural problems now, rather than after you've got a lot of code to rewrite."

Yeah, that's the hope. :) Start off with something simple and work out the kinks. Better to find them now rather than when I'm knee deep in something more complicated.

Cranos

July 04, 2001, 03:16 AM

Oh man, the projects I've ended up abandoning due to bad API testing... Why is it that so many 'brilliant' ideas you can come up with turn out god-awful in practice? :)

Daxx909

July 04, 2001, 07:35 AM

Now all you need is some groovy graphics. Give me a reason to upgrade my current loderunner! :-)

Bemmu Sepponen

July 04, 2001, 08:44 AM

Give me some ideas what kind of classes would you
have in a 2D game with enemies, a scrolling background,
the player etc. preferably with parallax scrolling.

I was making a game and I had Puppets which were the
players and the enemies, then I had PuppetMaster which
was controlling them. Then I had TileArea which was an
area of tiles and you could have several TileAreas on
top of each other for parallax.

It was horrible. I don't know if it was because of the
poor decomposition into classes or what but it seemed
awkward and wasn't nice at all to work with.

Any ideas how to structure simple 2D games like that?

Bemmu Sepponen

July 04, 2001, 09:54 AM

And about the image of the day, well I think the graphics
are already very groovy. I wouldn't go changing them :).

Warren Marshall

July 04, 2001, 11:48 AM

"And about the image of the day, well I think the graphics
are already very groovy. I wouldn't go changing them :)."

Well, I'll have to eventually ... those are taken directly from the original game. :P

EGreg

July 04, 2001, 12:02 PM

LOAD RUNNER

HAHA

-Greg

Warren Marshall

July 04, 2001, 12:34 PM

"Lode"

fluffy

July 04, 2001, 02:41 PM

I somehow doubt Broderbund will mind. Didn't they go out of business a few years ago?

Tom Spilman

July 04, 2001, 02:52 PM

Hehe... when i first saw it i thought it was a Jumpman clone. =) Tom

Robert P.

July 04, 2001, 05:25 PM

Didn't they merge with some other companies to make some company called Game Studios or something?

Kurt Miller

July 04, 2001, 05:31 PM

I believe they merged with The Learning Company (primarily an educational software publisher) approximately 3 years ago.

EGreg

July 04, 2001, 09:21 PM

LOAD
HAHA
LOAD
RUNNAR!!!!!!!

what's the point of this said game?

-Greg

flsherman

July 04, 2001, 09:54 PM

Hehe Loade Runner, I think I still have that 5.25" disk somewhere lying around my x86 :)

Warren Marshall

July 04, 2001, 10:14 PM

"Those were the days when games fit into < 1MB...now look at them, what's your size?"

Most of a games size these days is it's assets ... if you want hi-res graphics, models, dolby audio, etc you're going to have to cough up some disk space. :)

Zeo

July 04, 2001, 11:01 PM

heh, I was asking that question last week (not here, at a different board, Game Developer's Refuge) and I got plenty of feedback. You can view the whole thread here: http://boards.swoo.net/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=3&TID=2414&SID=5131 . The post is called Collision detection and c++, but the messages cover the structure of a game in C++ (or any other capable OOP programming language for that matter), regardless of whether (sp?) it's 2d or 3d. In the thread, I'm Zeo (the confused one) and StoverTech and Mandrake do the majority of the replies. They both present slightly different methods, but you can do what I did and combine the good parts of each. Even if you don't get a full system laid out, the posts contain many, many good ideas and practices.

Hope that helps!

Raspberry

July 05, 2001, 04:23 AM

hm, fisherman is right, we do seem to use an innordinate amount of space to portray our games now. Gone are the days of downloading a good demo in fifteen minutes over your modem. (unless it happens to be a cable modem or ADSL router).

I am not suggesting that this is a bad thing, merely just something that I don't like about modern games. Or any modern app for that point, look how bloated word has got. Can anyone excuse the fact of a word processor taking up more than 100mb of disk space!

I understand that this is they way of things, but it don't make me like it.

BTW nice GUI. are you a sharing source developer?

DirtyPunk

July 05, 2001, 09:08 AM

Egreg is always right and nothing you can say will change that.

The world changes and morphs so egreg is always right.

j/k :)

Punchey

July 05, 2001, 10:01 AM

Punchey

July 05, 2001, 10:05 AM

Warren Marshall

July 05, 2001, 12:03 PM

Raspberry
"BTW nice GUI. are you a sharing source developer?"

Not at the moment. :) The GUI needs more spit and polish before I release anything publically. But since it relies on the rendering DLL and the core DLL that I have, it may be a while.

Punchey
"How are you drawing your text? Especially in your textboxes? How do you handle the formatting?"

Textured quads, with texture coords applied to a font texture. The formatting is handled by a text drawing function I have that accepts a rectangle and word wraps the text within that space.

"Also, how are you drawing your GUI components like your windows and stuff? Textured Quads?"

Yeah, everything is textured quads. Well, specifically, trangle lists ... sometimes fans. Depends on what's being rendered.

flsherman

July 05, 2001, 07:34 PM

I'm also gonna have to caugh up $$$ for a new comp :)

James Railton

July 16, 2001, 12:31 PM

I figure that games will start downloading their content dynamically as you advance. If you consider a game like EverQuest or Asheron's Call, it would make a lot of sense from a number of different perspectives (disk space, dynamic world changes, piracy, etc). We have streaming video. I see no reason why we can't have streaming worlds :)