Submitted by David, posted on June 19, 2001

Image Description, by David

My game uses OpenGL, runs at about 25 fps on a first-generation G4 400 with an ATI Rage 128. The characters use animations from my animation program and interpolate smoothly between them.

The bottom-left picture shows the blue player turning invisible while stabbing the red player with his swords. The green stuff is a group of alphablended particles that swirl around when you turn invisible. You can see the invisible guy because he blocks particles but you can see the background and other characters through him. The background is slightly distorted when you look at it through invisible people but it's hard to see that in this picture.

The top-left picture shows my muzzle flash and blood effects. The muzzle flash is just a few yellow starry sprites that start out big at the muzzle of the gun and then get smaller farther out with random rotation. The blood is red stars that splatter out and fall and get smaller with time.

The top-right picture shows one of my skyboxes and the sword trails. Whenever the swords are used to attack or block they leave a trail behind, this is with a triangle-strip with two new vertices at the tip and base of the sword added every 1/10 of a second or so. Here the black ninja robot guy's attack is blocked by the yellow ninja robot guy.

The bottom-right image shows the red guy after being hit in the head with some lightning causing it to start smoking. The smoke is made up of a bunch of sprites with a smoky texture which slowly rise, spin, and fade out.

The center image shows my lightning effect which is made up of a lot of randomly generated alphablended triangle strips which target various parts of the target's body, make them start smoking and send the target flying across the map. In this particular screenshot the yellow guy used to be invisible but has just died and is now becoming visible again.

-David

ROOKIE

June 19, 2001, 02:17 PM

Cool! Is there a demo available? Are you developing this game commercially? I think the particle system stuff gives it a very distinct feel.

_Mike_

June 19, 2001, 02:18 PM

That looks kind of cool... I especially like the top right and middle one the best. Good work.

AblazeSpace

June 19, 2001, 02:29 PM

Wow the flash effect in the middle screenshot is amazing and the lighting is extreme cool! RESPECT!

David Olsson

June 19, 2001, 02:43 PM

Binaries, any ?

Nick Rolfe

June 19, 2001, 02:48 PM

Cool, we don't see enough Mac stuff around here!

David20321

June 19, 2001, 03:36 PM

Hey thanks for the feedback! I'm amazed my image of the day got up so fast, I submitted it an hour or two ago :). Anyways, no it's not commercial, if I release it all it will be freeware for mac. I was working on it for about 4-5 months and am kind of sick of it :(.
It's not quite finished yet, no main menu, music, etc. yet.

-David

baui

June 19, 2001, 04:23 PM

reminds me of the game Marshmallow Duel...

David20321

June 19, 2001, 04:30 PM

That's where I got the idea from in the first place for a 1v1 fighting game type thing. Marshmallow Duel is great :).

-David

bwalmisley

June 19, 2001, 04:38 PM

The lightning effect is extremely nice. Any chance of a large pic of this?

Benedict

Hannu K.

June 19, 2001, 04:49 PM

Nothing can beat marshmallow duel :)
The middle shot looks very cool

valg3

June 19, 2001, 06:43 PM

Nice effects! Especially the lightning and the sword trail. Nice job, I too would like to see a demo.

a_j_harvey

June 19, 2001, 07:26 PM

Gotta love the "black ninja robot".
Lightning is very nice - how well does it animate?

Evil Bill

June 19, 2001, 07:32 PM

Nice sky textures in the Invisiblezapped.jpg pic :) Any chance of a copy of them?

Ta, Steve

bluestone

June 19, 2001, 07:45 PM

Great work!, but a question : Why this game looks like ONI?

David20321

June 19, 2001, 08:10 PM

Black ninja robot is way cool :)
The lightning is kind of like it would work in real life, it shoots out a spark every 1/10th of a second or so which fade away so it's just kind of a ZAAP and they fly away. Sky textures were made in bryce by just rendering in all 6 directions with 90 lens and 73 zoom or something like that and spending a long time touching them up in photoshop. I'll upload the island and lava sky-boxes if you want.
Alright made a skybox page for the lava and island skyboxes. I hope JPEG didn't ruin them too much.

The characters look kind of like the ones in oni because apparantly oni uses the same kind of animation system, where all the body parts are actually not the same model, but they're put together so they look like one model. This makes animation much easier and makes it so I can easily cut someone's arm off at the elbow etc.

-David

T0ad

June 19, 2001, 10:01 PM

Nice shots David. Runs really well on my Powerbook G3 (Firewire).

BTW, I'd like to see much more Mac stuff here! I'm a huge fan and would like to see what others are up to.

Kezza

June 19, 2001, 10:16 PM

Is it just me, or have the last four IOTD's been way above the normal standard that we've been used to seing here...

We've seen :
1 This... very polished with beautiful particle effects and an almost complete game

2 Yesterday ... another very polished almost complete game, a 3d puzzle to boot! not to mention the nice graphics and presence of the almighty crate of Nehe

3 Ray Tracing... i didn't know motion blur was something that raytracers did like that! Caustics and god knows how much other cool stuff

4 SGI workstation with a killer particle system.... that greek thing on fire was awsome nuff said.

While its good to see all this.... it kinda scares me, i've got a long way to catch up!!!

Khrob

June 19, 2001, 10:23 PM

Great stuff...

have you got the ai going? or is it 2 player?

if you have could you tell us a little about it?

love the sword trail!

Khrob

June 19, 2001, 10:25 PM

I hear ya Kezza...

XycsoscyX

June 19, 2001, 10:29 PM

Very nice indeed. So is the lightening solid triangles? Or is it a blurred type of texture (since the lightening looks blurred in the picture, but it looks like it's supposed to be like that, which is how it should be since lightening is supposed to be realllllly fast :-) Also, do you use any type of kinematics for the models, or just premade squences and such?

David20321

June 19, 2001, 11:12 PM

The animations are pretty much premade. Thx kezza putting my IOTD in the same category as the last three. :) That motion blur IOTD looked awesome.

Hey Toad I don't remember giving out my link to the program so I'm not sure what it is that runs really well on your powerbook g3, but if you want my newest released version is http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/davidrosen1/Media/Game%20v.45%20Beta.sit . It's only for mac :( and I think it requires a pretty fast computer to run well. A G3 400 should work fine, as long as it doesn't have that really old rage pro thing that can't run anything. I would port it to PC but a) I'm not done yet and b) I don't have one which makes it kind of difficult :(.

The lightning has a blurryish texture, http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/davidrosen1/Media/EatThatQ3Lightning.jpg for a closer look.

It has AI and 2 player working, if you download my program be sure to read the readme, almost every key on the keyboard does something, including caps and lowercase. My game is a 1v1 fighter that is kind of 2d/3d like Super Smash bro's and games like that... the gameplay is based loosely on marshmallow duel. You can jump around and shoot people or stab them or use a jetpack or zap them or blow them up with grenades etc. It also has an in-game map editor which is kind of cool, if you want you can have one person running around while the other person is changing the map and stuff. I don't have a main menu yet though, and it's still kind of in 'debug' mode, as in you can change guns by just pressing a key and give yourself infinite ammo.

-David

shrike

June 20, 2001, 12:25 AM

Wow, when i saw it, i thought marshmallow duel too. I can't believe that so many people have heard of it.

warjo

June 20, 2001, 03:38 AM

I'd love to here how you do this... :)) please :)

Johan Persson

June 20, 2001, 07:50 AM

"I like the water and the island reflection... are they dynamic.. with ripples....??? I'd love to here how you do this... :)) please :)"

Read the post! (Skybox)

Nice pic by the way!

morgan

June 20, 2001, 09:24 AM

The upper right is the "indiana jones" shot where he shoots the nunchuck guy :)

-m

TechBucket

June 20, 2001, 09:42 AM

Did you use Vue d'Esprit for the Skybox?

I'm a great fan of that program. :D

Johan Persson

June 20, 2001, 10:07 AM

Read the f**kin' post ;)

"Sky textures were made in bryce by just rendering in all 6 directions with 90 lens and 73 zoom or something like that."

MC BAXTON

June 20, 2001, 10:25 AM

Quote of the year:

"the yellow guy used to be invisible but has just died and is now becoming visible again"

Morgan Aldridge

June 20, 2001, 12:01 PM

David,

Great job! Looks even better than the last time I saw it. Nice to see your getting the praise you deserve! I really like all the cool particle effects.

And for those of you who have never seen this in action (I've only seen it pre-particle effects stage) the animation is amazing! Very smooth and realistic!

David, I know you've been considering dropping this project. I hope this publicity will encourage you to finish it, it's really a cool game :)

Morgan