Submitted by Eric Fortier, posted on May 31, 2001

Image Description, by Eric Fortier

I decided to send you a picture from a tutorial I'm currently writing for DirectX 8. My tutorial builds on the basic triangle sample in the DX SDK up to what you see in this picture.

This image contains fog, lighting, black-light effect, mip-maps, Anisotropic filtering of textures, hardware T&L, backface culling and z-buffering. This scenes takes less than 1 ms to render in windowed mode on my P3 450, with an Asus v7100 GeForce 2 MX video card. As you can see there's not much polygons to draw!

As a sidenote, the lamp post was modeled and textures in Milkshape 3D, and imported using an import class, which imports native .MS3D objects.

All of these will be covered in my tutorial which will be posted on my web site soon. I'm finishing the second part, and as soon as I'm done with lightmaps, I'll post them. Site is at: http://www.techlogic.ca/directx

Spalter

May 31, 2001, 02:53 PM

FIRST!! ;))
looks pretty dark...

Shot

May 31, 2001, 02:54 PM

2nd... and still dark!

hdmx

May 31, 2001, 03:04 PM

too dark :-)

hdmx

Morlith

May 31, 2001, 03:06 PM

1353th!

I like the dark nightvision-look!

Ready4Dis

May 31, 2001, 03:25 PM

It's to bright, you may want to tone that light down a bit. It's nice to see a tutorial for something that you wrote. If a pictures worth a thousand words, and you give a .txt file with 1,000 words than you just doubled the worth of the picture :). And to top it all of you can have it up and running (with said tutorial) and whatch tons of pictures that all render in less than 1ms. Very nice work, an actual helpful IOTD, I know this is going to catch a lot of people of guard.

tcs

May 31, 2001, 04:03 PM

How are you doing the light ? PPA, projected texture, cubemaps, DOT3, higly tesselated vertex lighting, static lightmaps ?

greets,
Tim

Chris 12345

May 31, 2001, 05:01 PM

It looks like projected light map, you can see enlarged light texels in the the brightened image

Anthracks

May 31, 2001, 06:11 PM

That looks cool, really atmospheric. You just know there's a shady mafia deal going down in that store ;). I like it!

Anthracks

Eric Fortier

May 31, 2001, 07:10 PM

Actually, the light is a simple green point light, located just under the lamp post ;)

Revolver

May 31, 2001, 07:42 PM

My guess is that the "light texels" you mentioned is really just vertex lighting at work. I can't really make them out very well though, so I can't say for sure.

iMalc

May 31, 2001, 10:43 PM

Gee, that was brave submitting something this simple and very dark. I guess you are expecting a lot of criticism?

I suppose you've done more than a lot of beginners that I know could.

Thanks to hdmx I can actually see your picture.

Keep it up, perhaps we'll see something more advanced from you later.

---------------------------------------
When you stop learning you start dying.

dan ogles

June 01, 2001, 12:16 AM

???

It's a nice image and a tutorial, which I think should be commended rather than disparaged. It wasn't too dark on my monitor (I believe there are differences between Mac and PC gamma - correct me if I'm wrong).

bigdave

June 01, 2001, 02:00 AM

It was far too dark on mine and I'm running a PC. Oh, Great pic though. It is hard to spot the blacklight effect though.

MC BAXTON

June 01, 2001, 04:27 AM

1) it's nice
2) it's dark
3) It has its own STYLE !

NOtice how important looks green thingie with barely understandable text.
Sometimes unknown thingies are incredibly important. Oh, boy, we can learn a lot from this picture ! :)

I also suggest submitting totally black picture, named "Sorry, no electricity today", or "We want to save your monitor's age", ... or "Somewhat in the Dark", or "The beauty of Darkness" ..., or "Adjust your monitor please" ... etc..

NatureMan

June 01, 2001, 10:08 AM

I agree that the posted image was too dark, but is all of the sarcasm necessary? isn't it enough to say that it was too dark?

as to the difference in gamma between Mac and PC if it was adjusted correctly there wouldn't be a difference that's what color profiles are for. if you run a Mac or Windows then you need to set up your color correction for your monitor. there should be an ICC profile for your brand, mine uses "generic"

other than that, the second pic looks too bright it seems to me that it would look more seedy if the area's not lit by the lamp were a couple of shades more toward the "Murky Blackness" side

Scrambled Monkey

June 01, 2001, 11:55 AM

Yeah, I'd say that's a tad too dark. :) BUT, it's definetly a great idea, it's good to give beginners something to aim for after the obligatory spinning triangle tutorials. I commend you for trying to help out others, especially in game development where critics are all over, and they can be quite brutal. :)
Dan

Mockery

June 01, 2001, 12:15 PM

I went to your site just to look around and to my horror I saw that the tutorial is for... Delphi! While I have nothing against Delphi, I am a C/C++ person myself, and I was really looking forward to this tutorial. :(

Oh well, keep up the good work anyway... :)

Willem

June 01, 2001, 12:17 PM

That's due to Mac's having a standard gamma value of 2.2, IIRC.

EGreg

June 01, 2001, 01:02 PM

First image too dark, thanks for whoever cleared it up.

Did youw rite th tuts yet?

Marius

June 01, 2001, 05:35 PM

Well, we Delphi users are always having to convert C/C++ code to Pascal, so it won't hurt you to go the other way once in awhile :)

icewolf

June 02, 2001, 11:31 AM

Doom3 is darker, and what's wrong with dark? I like dark and
iMalc.. can you do any better?