Submitted by Aaron Pfeiffer, posted on May 24, 2001

Image Description, by Aaron Pfeiffer

Here are a few angles of a game I just completed, called Antris. Antris is sort of the dual to Tetris, in that the roles of the player and the computer are reversed. In this game the player constructs the pieces, and the computer attempts to fit them in. Since the roles are reversed, the goals are also reversed. You lose points for horizontal collapses, and beat the levels by forcing the computer into a situation where it can't fit any more pieces. If the computer survives until time expires, you lose.

Features:
  • OpenGL rendering, with texturemaps
  • 3D everything: buttons, menus, board, and pieces
  • Fancy transition effects for menus and the board
  • Free-look camera (use the W,S,A,D and arrow-keys to move)
  • Sound effects
  • Solver for Tetris moves
  • Demo mode, where the computer plays against itself
  • Two difficulty settings
  • Five levels, each with a different block texture scheme
  • With all the times you lost to Tetris, wouldn't you like some revenge?

Revenge available at: http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/~apfei/antris.html

Aaron Pfeiffer

[Currently seeking employment in graphics and games!]
    resume: http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/~apfei/resume_aaron_pfeiffer.html
    web: http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/~apfei/
    email: apfei@cs.uoregon.edu

EGreg

May 25, 2001, 02:42 PM

One word
    AIAIAI
    -tris

-Greg

Jeff Quesnelle

May 25, 2001, 03:47 PM

Whoa! This is execelent! If I had a company I'd hire 'ya!

337

May 25, 2001, 04:20 PM

Best source I've seen in a while, most is pretty convoluted, but I like your style.

SigmundSEGV

May 25, 2001, 04:25 PM

Almost makes one consider legally changing one's name to Hasbrosuckstris. And then naming a game after yourself. :-)

Nice work on Antris! Definitely in agreement with its being in the 'why didn't I think of that?!?!' category!

ecko_53

May 25, 2001, 04:48 PM

nice idea, I love this game...

Aaron Pfeiffer

May 25, 2001, 05:02 PM

Wow, thanks for all the responses!

I have a question for those of you who've found closed-form solutions: do you find those to be effective on the 'Hard' setting as well?

Christian Schüler

May 25, 2001, 05:43 PM

I think it's a bit pale. Too many shades of grey in the game.

Christian Schüler

May 25, 2001, 05:46 PM

Why not name it "Tret es!" ?
    Why? Because this name is free. It's German and means "Kick it!" ;-P

/ / / T / R

May 25, 2001, 07:38 PM

Awesome concept.

Ditto on the too much greyness. Color, color, color. Also the score counter blurs quite a bit (to the point where it is illegible) depending on the scale.

Also, in full screen mode, the screen flashes (as if every other frame were a blank screen) and the game is unplayable.

Aaron Pfeiffer

May 26, 2001, 04:13 AM

Too grey eh. Well, I live in Oregon, USA, and it rains most of the time here, so... shades of grey look bright and vibrant to me : )

Good suggestions. I've got a nice list going for revisions and additions... as soon as I graduate in a couple of weeks.

I haven't been able to replicate the full-screen screen-flashing problem. If anyone else has experienced it, I'd be interested to know(I welcome direct emails too, though I will be checking this page on and off).

Nebog

May 26, 2001, 09:03 AM

No, because it cheats and limits you to 2 pieces a lot of the time.

[-WD40-]

May 26, 2001, 09:38 AM

I've found a way to win all the time...make a cross everytime you can. Or else make those blocs:

8,7,6,5:

###

###

##

[-WD40-]

May 26, 2001, 09:40 AM

shit that's all fucked up sorry...
    here are the real blocs:
    8,7,6,5:
    ###

###

##

Daxx909

May 26, 2001, 09:54 AM

Hmmm, how many *real* words end on 'tris'? Makes me think of Planescape Torment. There's this riddle: There are only 3 words that end with GRY. The first two are 'angry' and 'hungry'. What's the third? I still haven't found out, and it drives me crazy! :-)

Goalieman

May 26, 2001, 10:01 AM

The infamous "three words ending in GRY" teaser
    The problem with this brainteaser is that it is not always presented in the original form. This causes a great deal of confusion as the puzzle is not meant to send you searching for obscure words, the original puzzle is in fact a play on words. Watch the punctuation! Here is the original brainteaser:

"Think of words ending in -gry. Angry and hungry are two of them. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everybody uses everyday. If you have listened carefully, I've already told you what it is."

First you are lead astray by being asked to think of words that end in "gry" and given only two examples. Read the next sentence carefully, it asks nothing about words that end in "gry".

The answer to this teaser is, of course, ..... language. the third word in "the english language"

So as not to disappoint those people that have been searching for other words ending in GRY I have compiled the following list:

aggry: meaning a word of unknown origin

puggry: a light turban or head covering
    meagry: meaning to have meager appearance
    mawgry: maning in spite of
    gry: a measure equal to 1/10th of a line

Nick

May 26, 2001, 10:03 AM

If you really wanna know (by cheating), just type "gry" in Google. The first link already has the solution...

It's almost impossible to find unless you're an English expert. It's not a 'normal' word :)

Nick

MC BAXTON

May 26, 2001, 11:18 AM

hehe :) U must be misunderstood me.
    In fact, my intenion WASn't to give name for this game. Yes it could be called Teris or Toris or anything else but not Tetris. (yep, trademark). YATC would be even better name ( translate it)

BTW it's horribly SLOW, maybe author should dedicate one more week for optimization.

kewldude

May 26, 2001, 12:17 PM

Go talk to the puzzled skeleton, you then exchange riddles, then he gives you the answer. Maybe you need a big intelligence(i had 18-19 at that time :). Very kewl game!

Nebog

May 26, 2001, 12:22 PM

This has been discussed already, but it doesn't work on hard.

Christian Schüler

May 26, 2001, 02:56 PM

Hey, come visit me in Hamburg, Germany I think you shoud feel at home instantenously!!!

But I can go to the disco and the colors are much flashier there so that's maybe where I have the reference from :-P

Impossible

May 27, 2001, 12:54 AM

Wow, I've never seen this many replies to an IOTD... Anyway this is the first IOTD that has actually been from a fun, innovative, finished game, and that deserves major props, far more then the standard cool looking landscape shots. Btw, the blocks are...

8,7

# #
    ###
    # #

6,5
    ###

##

EGreg

May 27, 2001, 01:29 PM

Use the Rhyming Dictiopnary online :)

BTW nothing rhymes with SILVER and ther are a few other words.
    Try it in the dictionary, see if anything comes up though.

-Greg

Daxx909

May 28, 2001, 04:00 AM

Damn, I went for *Wisdom*! :-)
    But I feel enlightened anyway, heheh

vodzurk

May 29, 2001, 12:35 PM

Looks like one of those strange machines you find next to the urinals in pubs.

(very constructive comment there huh)

NatureMan

June 01, 2001, 10:25 AM

yes it was invented by a russian programmer but this was back when the game first appeared for nintendo I think. it's not like "checkers" or "Chess" where no one knows who invented it and so any one with the equipment and/or desire can make one