Submitted by Shaigan, posted on May 21, 2001

Image Description, by Shaigan

Here are some screenshots of my first game, Tetris Master. I wanted to make a clone of tetris that looks like the snes version (the best version of tetris for me) with some improvements.

The game runs with DirectX 8.0 so I can take advantadge of 3d cards (for the moment only for alphablending). To draw an image, I cut it in smaller part of 256*256. Then I put the textures on basic squares with 2d coordonates. Working in 3d is really cool because for example I can make 2d font with antialiasing and some other effects.

You can check out the game and download it at : http://www.tetrismaster.be.tf

Shaigan

Kippesoep

May 21, 2001, 03:55 PM

Looks nice. It's good to see more 2D shots lately.

Ant

May 21, 2001, 04:24 PM

Cool lookin! Any plans for network play?

Trolocsis

May 21, 2001, 04:27 PM

Nice screen shot. Finally one that is not a landscape engine.

incinx

May 21, 2001, 04:29 PM

Notice the multiplayer option in the upper left shot

danthalas

May 21, 2001, 05:08 PM

Not another Landscape Engine but it will look better with a geo mipmapping terrain rotating in background. :-)

Nice to have another Tetris clone to play with it. I'm sure not the only one who continues playing Tetris from time to time to relax my mind.

Ant

May 21, 2001, 05:35 PM

Actually, yes, I did. But that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be network play. But I guess it would have been called 2 player mode if it was side-by-side same-keyboard same-screen competition...... or would it? Anyways, your assumtion is probably right.

Punchey

May 21, 2001, 05:59 PM

I'm sorry, but your lense flares don't look right at all!!! And you need to work on your detail texture too. Not to mention your terrain LOD algo totaly sucks! Oh, wait, , nice Tetris clone! :-)

Punchey

May 21, 2001, 06:13 PM

ARGH! I should have previewed that! I forgot that angle brackets don't show up nor do anything between them. There should have been (snapping out of terrain engine mode) between the commas. Oh well... live and learn.

Kurt Miller

May 21, 2001, 06:24 PM

">>Finally one that is not a landscape engine."

Just before the previous 2 images was a non-landscape shot...
Why is it that people only remember the landscapes? :]

Vorteks

May 21, 2001, 06:46 PM

That's a classic. It seems everyone wrote a tetris clone when they were learning to program games. I never got around to it though...

Anyway, good job!

Betelgeuse

May 21, 2001, 06:54 PM

I wouldn't classify this as "learning to program games" though. This even looks professional.

DarkReaper

May 21, 2001, 06:57 PM

Wow, an actual game? And it doesn't have terrain? And it has a link to the download? Wow...what is this place coming to? ;)

Great program, nice to see a great re-make of a classic. =)

DragonWorx

May 21, 2001, 07:59 PM

Nice looking Tetris mate,

You must feel good actually finishing a game. The interface looks very neat and efficient, well done.

Mournblade

May 21, 2001, 08:31 PM

You need to use < and > to effect that.

It's good to know HTML:-)

Timothy Barnes

May 21, 2001, 08:37 PM

You know what I've always wanted to do? I've been wanting to make a tetris clone just so I can use the ozma remix of the tetris theme song. :)

phizch

May 21, 2001, 09:17 PM

Goodlooking Tetris clone... be careful though, Hasbro might sue you :)
(They've sued about everybody else who have made games with the same "look and feel" as their patented Atari games!)

By the way how did you make that nice "blocky" effect? :)

Seriously: nice screenshot

Thunderbird

May 21, 2001, 10:11 PM

How have the hasbro suits been coming along? I thought that nightmare with Hasbro was over @#%#@!#% it. Oh yes, and that is a very nice game. I assume you have had lots of programming experience before this or something. Or did you mean this is your first completed game? Either way, this is very nice. Forget the terrain engine comments, it's nice to see something for once that isn't even 3d.

-Thunderbird

fluffy

May 22, 2001, 01:18 AM

Because the hardcore algorithmic shots don't have enough eyecandy, I guess.

Lau

May 22, 2001, 03:44 AM

congratulations shaigan :o)

shaigan

May 22, 2001, 04:12 AM

Ok, thanks a lot for all your comments...and no I will not put a landscape in the background of the game lol :o)
For the moment, I'm working very hard on the multiplayer code. I think that the game will be great with that mode ! :o)
I have receive some e-mails that warned me about the copyrights of tetris.
In the beginning, I'm made the game just for me. I wanted to make a cool tetris :o) So I have call it tetris master and I have taked the original nintendo musics because I thought that there were cool.
Now I would like to know. If I change the name of the game and the musics... Can I distribute the game ?
And yes it's really my first game, I have taked the time to do it great :o)

Shaigan

ps : for Timothy Barnes : You can play the mp3 that you like with my game...just go to the datamusics sub folder and replace one of the three musics :o). I think I will add a support for other mp3 and meaby playlist later :o)

Kurt Miller

May 22, 2001, 05:59 AM

">>If I change the name of the game and the musics... Can I distribute the game ?"

When Hasbro filed suit against those developers allegedly copying their games, at least a couple tetris clones were included. One that comes to mind is "Bricklayer." In other words, changing the name to something completely different certainly isn't enough to be "safe."

freakyboy

May 22, 2001, 07:27 AM

i'm not a lawyer, but hey, i think you just worry a little to much about those shitty copyrights! damn, you're not writing a commercial game, you won't earn $, so just go ahead. just give credit to those things that are copied! .. i think this should be enough to be "safe" .. nice game by the way :)

Mythomania

May 22, 2001, 09:03 AM

well done, but i discovered a bug (actually more than once, although i played only 5 minutes...)
when i move a stone in the last possible moment it doesnt fall down any further although it should fall in a hole...
looks like your collision testing stops before the user input or something like that
apart from that good clone

ROOKIE

May 22, 2001, 09:22 AM

Your clone looks great. I was wondering about the boxes that surround the text. Is the darkened interior the alpha blending that you were referring to? Are the box outlines bitmaps or do you have a routine for drawing squares with rounded edges? Is the text from a bitmapped alphabet?

shaigan

May 22, 2001, 09:41 AM

For the collision bugs, I will fix it for the next version...
The derkened interior of the boxes that surround the text are not alpha blended exept the box of the pause menu wich is alphablended.
For the text, I have a tool that convert a true type font and construct a large alpha bitmap with the letters.
Then I blit the alpha texture with the tint that I want.

Punchey

May 22, 2001, 10:05 AM

You *might* get away with changing the gameplay significantly (like instead of getting four in a row, like fice virtically of the same color - something completely different than Tetris). But even then I've seen companies sue just because they can. Really rediculous. However, if you're just a guy and you don't have that much money to begin with, they might not sue you just because they can't get anything out of you besides making you stop selling a game they don't like. What a world we live in eh?

Punchey

May 22, 2001, 10:07 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, if you're talking about distributing it as freeware, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's only an issue if you receive money for it either through selling it or through other means such as selling advertisement through it.

Jesse Chounard

May 22, 2001, 10:21 AM

While giving it away might mean that nobody would care enough to sue, it wouldn't put him in the clear. Hasbro could make a good argument that because he's giving his version away, nobody would be willing to pay money for their version. I doubt they'd go to the trouble, though. (Unless, of course, it becomes wildly popular and you get like 2 bazillion people downloading it.)

Very nice work, looks great.

DarkReaper

May 22, 2001, 12:34 PM

Recently, a UT Site - UT Builder - was given a "Cease and desist" order by Lucas Arts. The owner of the site was distributing Star Wars maps for UT, for Free, and Lucas Arts made him stop...They probably realised that he was making better content for free than their games were, lol.

Willem

May 22, 2001, 12:54 PM

Cool looking game. You might want to put something in the background part of the playingscreens to give it that "edge".