Submitted by Julien Houllier, posted on May 16, 2001

Image Description, by Julien Houllier

You can download and try current version of my OpenGL 3D engine, called KoolEngine v1.4.
  • I've coded a mini-raytracer for lightmaps calculation, but this one is not perfect, as you can see between some surfaces.
  • Collision is not perfect, but runs well.
  • There is many improvements that can be done on KoolEngine, and every suggestion is welcome...8-)

Try pressing F1 key to see stats.

You can download this demo on my website : http://point.free.fr in the folder "PROJECTS"

SeeU...and enjoy KoolEngine !

Julien Houllier

Vorteks

May 16, 2001, 03:53 PM

Nice looking picture. What is that object in the middle?

Can you elaborate on your raytracing/lighting? Is it precalculated or on-the-fly?

Kanda

May 16, 2001, 04:10 PM

L'ambiance est sympa. Bon travail.
    Par contre le ciel est etrange ? (mais il colle bien à l'ambiance ;o)
    On voit un point au centre du ciel (le haut d'un dome ?)

Les lampes colorées c'est hyper sympa ca donne vraiment une bonne ambiance...De même pour les ombres ! Même si il n'y a pas enormement de poly dans la scéne ca donne tout de suite une autre dimension !
    Les lightmaps sont longues à calculer ??

Bon courage...tu es sur la bonne voie !

SamS

May 16, 2001, 04:11 PM

I don't get it.. What's so special about this?

I guess you should maybe tell us more about how you are generating lightmaps via raytracing and what sort of performance hits you see from this.

Besdies that I don't really see anything too novel about your engine.

Christian Schüler

May 16, 2001, 05:00 PM

Your Web page is nice. Sadly I never had french in school.

BigB

May 16, 2001, 05:11 PM

Nice shot.
    It's special to the people who made it.

Bruno

MgFun

May 16, 2001, 05:17 PM

Ja dat dacht ik al...

Kurt Miller

May 16, 2001, 05:18 PM

">>I think the point of the iotd is not to bring here never seen stuff..and impressive new technology, the point is to bring projects people are coding, so stop saying that you don't see nothing special about it. "

Well said...

Lucid

May 16, 2001, 05:20 PM

Good job...

PS: I agree with BigB

George Ziniewicz

May 16, 2001, 07:13 PM

I had trouble getting your site to work in Netscape, clicking DOWNLOADS made a copy of the main page nested down and to the right, wierd, especially 4 layers deep. I switched to IE and got the code.

Comments:

I like the left/right click movement thing, I did that in a recent OpenGL app SkateZ (check my site zintel.com) but I used left/middle to move/brake.

It is a little disconcerting to see a shadow w/o the point source light that created it!

Are you limited to 16 bit color? The skybox suffers a bit.

I do alot of procedural textures, and recently played with continuously-generated lightmaps in my HiwayZ app.
    I would like to see a noisy vignetted fullscreen lightmap on a FPS, it would make for a neat effect, especially on a darkish map like yours.

Looks cool, like to see more, when RPG's are available!

BTW, the earlier comment someone made about "why post such stuff" made me think "If Julien shouldn't have posted his engine, then certainly I should not have posted my trivial HiwayZ image and codelink on May 13th.

We all have our "thing", and personally I want to see it all. Keep those IOTD's coming, yall.

zin

DragonWorx

May 16, 2001, 08:04 PM

I don't get it.. What's so special about this?

Is this some kind of competition? Do you get so caught up in the "world of game programming" that you forget what it takes to actually get to this level? Just to be a competent C/C++ programmer, a mathematician, and a graphics programmer takes a REALLY HIGH IQ, and a long time studying. If that is not "special" enough for you, i suggest that you pull your head out of this "game programming" world for a moment, and appreciate the sacrifice and hard work that any person wishing to do "just these basics" must go through.

This part of the site is a public gallery for people to share their work with others, it is not the OpenGL challenge, nor is it a place for insecure egos to try and feel superior.

This image looks cool, maybe you could make a gladiator game or something, although i realise that this image is simply just showing your own rendering in action.

Keep up the good/hard work, ;)

George Ziniewicz

May 17, 2001, 02:18 AM

"Blessed are the cheese makers..." - Life of Brian

Honk if you love cheeses.

That's a Gouda.

zin

Phantom

May 17, 2001, 03:34 AM

I like the sky. :) In fact, the whole atmosphere of the shot is great. Keep enjoying coding 3D stuff. :)

DragonWorx

May 17, 2001, 03:35 AM

...well, obviously he wasn't refering to the cheese makers, but rather, manufacturers of any dairy product...

;)

RyseFtk

May 17, 2001, 04:10 AM

Genau daran habe ich eben auch gedacht, gut das er das nochmal erwähnt hat, keiner von uns wäre darauf gekommen!

anubis23

May 17, 2001, 04:46 AM

SamS, do you have a website ???
    I'd like to see what great additions you've made to technology development...
    Post an IOTD that looks as good as this or better and
    even then you should talk like that about other people.
    Kurt, I think you should really open up an eye candy of the day galary for all those people who just want to show of there "cool"
    new technology.
    SamS did it ever occur to you that there are people who started programming just half a year ago or so ?
    IOTD is for people who want to show there work and get other peoples oppinion on it.
    this leaves room for constructive critizism but not for "you're work is shit" posts that seem to get more and more popular in GD forums.
    when i first saw flipcode it was much more about helping other people but the message forum gets more and more crowded
    with people who have nothing else to do but telling others what bad programmers they are.
    it really starts to piss me off.
    it gets really hard to find an entry point into the game dev world.
    sites like flipcode used to be places.
    you could talk to people with more experience, get help.
    and most of all nobody laughed about you when you said something stupid.

Firestorm

May 17, 2001, 04:50 AM

I'am looking forward to see your quake 4 engine :)

Nicely done, and I fully agree with BigB and DragonWorx.

Carlos

Jason Colman

May 17, 2001, 05:00 AM

This remnds me of Shadowman - kind of spooky and meanacing... nice :-)

Sgt Zim

May 17, 2001, 05:01 AM

Bien sur que si !!

geekster

May 17, 2001, 05:20 AM

Fedt nok med sådan et mange-sproget forum.

AndersO

May 17, 2001, 05:21 AM

printf("Nice work dude!n");
    if (Current IOTD whole lot cooler than your own engine)
    printf("Love to hear how you did <put cool stuff here>!n");
    else
    printf("You could make your stuff even better by doing <this & that>n");
    printf("Cheers!n");

There, everyone put that in your main loop.

And yea, I think it looks cool.

Cheers!.

geekster

May 17, 2001, 05:32 AM

That's what I've always thought too, this is a place for us coders to talk about and show the things we're doing. Maybe Kurt could write a little intro or faq or something for the forum so people could read what the philosophy behind the forum is.

That's why the description of the picture is just as important, if not more, than the picture itself... IMHO.

And I'll say this even thoigh MC Baxton doesn't want us to... Nice work! and I look forward to the day I have something to show.

Kurt Miller

May 17, 2001, 05:46 AM

"The comment forums, which you will find attached to various features (including the Image Of The Day, Code Of The Day, Tip Of The Day, and others), were designed specifically as on-topic, supportive, discussion forums. They are not free-for-all chat forums."

ector

May 17, 2001, 06:52 AM

javisst, multikulturellt diskussionsforum :)

MC BAXTON

May 17, 2001, 06:56 AM

I usually use MessageBox(NULL,"Mc Baxton","Mc Baxton",MB_OK);
    And I can suggest for you to use it aswell.

However, I dont want to say that your image is too dark. I would say 'it preserves evil atmosphere'
    I think that importance of light sources is extremely high in underlighted places. This way we can show the importance of light, sun, and at last( but not least) electricity. I always were fan of electricity.
    I see some magic things in your picture and I enjoy it.
    Also I hope that u'll create quake 5. If you not, we will friendly try to help you and share the profit, as well as code.

geekster

May 17, 2001, 07:11 AM

Sorry for my ignorance

Hikey

May 17, 2001, 07:44 AM

nice work man, whatever some people seem to think. you should really translate your site in english, doesn't take that much time and it's gonna give you ten time the audiance you could have with the french one. i had some trouble open it with opera, had to use ie as well.
    as for the prog, that's really nice, unfortunatly for me, my card still doesn't support multitextures so i still can't see the nice things you guys do, in particular your shadows. that would be nice to have a bit of source code as well.
    one last point, your mouse management isn't too good. you could do an easy smoothing of the mouse so it would look more, err, smooth...
    good work

Mournblade

May 17, 2001, 08:10 AM

Need to advertise it more. I never noticed it either.

DennisM

May 17, 2001, 08:32 AM

I usually use MessageBox(NULL,"Mc Baxton","Mc Baxton",MB_OK);
    And I can suggest for you to use it aswell.

Why?

Gareth

May 17, 2001, 09:08 AM

Hi.

Another thumbs up ! I personally like dark images, so there !

henry ludemann