Submitted by Bunnz, posted on May 11, 2001

Image Description, by Bunnz

Here's a screenshot of the game Hase and I developed. It's a 2d side scroller, but uses 3d interface of DirectX 8.0.

Some features:
  • hardware alphablending, rotation, ....
  • splines for movement of the enemies
  • level is described by some scripts
  • ...
  • You can download the game at: www.Bunnz.com

Have fun
    Bunnz

iCodeSuk

May 11, 2001, 05:53 PM

Looks like Swiv, or whatever that game was. Cool!

BigB

May 11, 2001, 06:05 PM

A great game you have there :)

Hannu K.

May 11, 2001, 06:17 PM

I downloaded the game and it was quite smooth. And I'll try it with a friend tomorrow :). Now that you're using 3d card to draw stuff, you could add some serious particle effects at least - the explosions were a bit simple.

Rico

May 11, 2001, 06:27 PM

Kinda like the late-80's Silkworm, eh? Looks pretty cool!

Cubanismo

May 11, 2001, 07:08 PM

Lovin' it. This games lots of fun, I gotta get someone controlling
    that helicopter, its killin' me. :-D

EGreg

May 11, 2001, 08:00 PM

Can oyu tell me about the split-screen stuff?

-Greg

StiNKy

May 11, 2001, 08:45 PM

Kinda feels like Metal Slug (1/2/X?) when both players get bonuses, and one's the helicopter and ones the tank... hehe :)
    nice!

StiNKy

May 11, 2001, 08:55 PM

AWwww what the! I ran out of enemies!! I completely own in that game by myself! left hand controls the keyboard (helicopter), right hand controls the mouse (tank). Hey uhm, while I was playing... is the sky meant to be occasionly drawn over the health meter? (I saw this on the tank's health meter).
    also love the stereo sound you got there :)

iMalc

May 11, 2001, 10:26 PM

Looks pretty snazzy dude!

Even the text looks really nice.

zed zeek

May 12, 2001, 12:18 AM

silkworm lives.
    question are u only using d3d cause of the lack of alpha blending in directdraw or are there other reasons?

Phantom

May 12, 2001, 02:59 AM

Bravo! Kurt removed some MC BAXTOR posts! (and my angry response too:). Way to go Kurt.
    Great shot btw. I've been working on a 2D shoot'm up for a while too, it's a genre that is virtually absent at the moment. The PC needs a classic shoot'm up that uses the power of nowadays machines. Man that would be cool. :)

Ramon Smits

May 12, 2001, 03:39 AM

It sure looks like SWIV / Silkworm as iCodeSuk posted earlier. Silkworm sure ruled!

I will try if WinUAE will run a silkworm disk image :-)

NeukuM

May 12, 2001, 04:03 AM

hmm.. the link doesn't seem to work for me here

too bad... it looks like a pretty nifty piece of software!

well done!

Akiratf

May 12, 2001, 04:34 AM

cool stuff,
    this reminds me on the good old amiga days!

the game ist a lot fun

Akira

tcs

May 12, 2001, 04:40 AM

Yes ! My post was also removed, but at least he also kicked the nonsense of this guy ;-)

Tim

tcs

May 12, 2001, 04:41 AM

Cool, nice work man !

This really reminds me of the good ol' days with SWIV (Uppercase, you ignorants ! ;-)), this was a cool Jeep + heli game ;-)

Tim

D.P.

May 12, 2001, 05:04 AM

Looks very professional and cool. I remember when a game like that would be the latest technology and would selll millions of copies. I should try making a 2d game sometime, it will be a lot more productive than fiddling with 3d.

shrike

May 12, 2001, 06:21 AM

BROKEN LINK!

Mournblade

May 12, 2001, 06:43 AM

Silkworm was the sideways scrolling version, and SWIV (which was apparently no relation to Silkworm) was the top-down effort which I didn't like as much.

tcs

May 12, 2001, 08:19 AM

I would rather say that SWIV was the bird's eye version of silkworm, because it was released long after silkworm. SWIV = Silkworm IV, so it has a relation to the original title. Actually comparing SWIV to Silworm is like comparing doom to Quake, SWIV had much better graphics, faster gameplay and was simple a very very cool follow up that was better than it's first version. Do you think those guys make a 2nd version just to reduce the quality of the game ? ;-)

Tim

MC BAXTON

May 12, 2001, 08:42 AM

More work for kurt: remove this post
    I'll try to make u work on sundays

Mournblade

May 12, 2001, 09:05 AM

SWIV iirc wasn't written by the same company who wrote the original Silkworm, though I think it was published. The official title for SWIV was Special Weapons Dar-De-Dar - I can't remember what it was exactly, but I remember having this argument at school about 10 years ago (some things never change).

I can't really be arsed to look it up on google (too much effort for a hot Saturday afternoon), so I'll wait until my brother wakes up and ask him.

[][]aRRaY[][]

May 12, 2001, 09:33 AM

bunnz.com doesn't seem to be working..
    If anyone has already downloaded the game, could they please put it up somewhere ?? :)

iCodeSuk

May 12, 2001, 09:41 AM

Thats what I was thinking of. But there was a game called Swiv wasn't there?

Dr.Mosh

May 12, 2001, 09:49 AM

I love the look of that game, got to try it when I get home.

MC_BAXTON, go on and show us something you've made already. I'm sure we are all eagerly awaiting anything done by you.

tcs

May 12, 2001, 10:22 AM

Dammit, and I guess my old AMIGA magazines lay around somewhere in the cellar of my parent's house, so I guess we are never going to find it out ;-)

Tim

Dr.Mosh

May 12, 2001, 11:59 AM

I can help here. Old amiga buff boy me.
    Special Weapons Intercept(ion?) Vehicle

Loved that game, still have it somewhere.

Mournblade

May 12, 2001, 12:29 PM

Something like that. Ta'. My brother is still not on the 'Net (ICQ) so he's either off playing B&W or out. Unlike him (he actually thought of calling in sick when B&W was released).

Mournblade

May 12, 2001, 12:30 PM

We've tried baiting him with that one before and it never worked. Maybe one day he'll turn up with something, but somehow we doubt it.

Jeff Paciga

May 12, 2001, 01:59 PM

I always guessed it was Silkworm With Isometric View :)

Then they probably realised that wasn't marketable enough, so made it stand for something cooler.

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 ... out of 2) Next Last