Submitted by Lennox Antoine, posted on May 02, 2001

Image Description, by Lennox Antoine

I had a previous release of the engine a while back (I pollute flipcode with landscape shots). This fixes a lot of things that were wrong, and overall better performance. The things present in this demo are :
  • Lod landscape (improved, very simple)
  • 3ds file import
  • Multiple actors controlled through scripts
  • Progressive meshes
  • Simple physics
  • particles posing as birds/fairies (just sprites)
  • Get it at : http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/stu/lbantoin/

There are however a lot of stuff that I left out so that the speed would be acceptable for most users. These include rippling water and realtime swaying fractal trees. Feedback/flames would be greatly appreciated on what is missing, or what you would like to see.

-Lennox Antoine

ROOKIE

May 02, 2001, 12:21 PM

I get an invalid page fault when I attempt to run the demo on my junky work machine. Is there a fixed requirement for available video RAM?

Kurt Miller

May 02, 2001, 12:27 PM

It worked fine on my TNT2...
    I got about 6/10/12 fps for the 3 detail levels (high/medium/low) at 640x480x16.
    Nice work;

Taharez

May 02, 2001, 12:41 PM

Nice.

25-35fps running high detail, 640x480x16
    p3-450
    384Mb RAM
    Riva TNT2 Ultra 32Mb
    Windows Me

lxnyce

May 02, 2001, 01:04 PM

I guess I should have supplied one. I am guessing 32 megs is overshooting it, so do you at least have 16megs of memory? Email me (lbantoin@ic.sunysb.edu), I will work it out with you. Oh yeah, what platform are you running it under also?

Acidtil

May 02, 2001, 01:07 PM

Nice...

I got about 40fps in 640x480x16 in detail mode 1... And about 20 in high detail.

Keep up the good work !

1c4i4

May 02, 2001, 01:34 PM

ouch,

nice work,

jurgen

Cornholio

May 02, 2001, 01:39 PM

Yo there!

Nice post but...

are you sure the framerate is right? I got 30 fps (ok 50 when starin at the ground) at maximum on my pIII 500 GeForce2GTS and that makes me think... (ouch! it hurts...)

By the way are the "actors" Q3 models or it is all your stuff?

Vorteks

May 02, 2001, 01:45 PM

Pretty! Especially those trees. Now that you have an engine, are you going to make a game with it?

Brainiac

May 02, 2001, 01:50 PM

Nice soundtrack but everything seems quite slow for me. I'm following the development of the XONNEL engine for many years now and it has always been this: a long feature list but slow like hell. This one is not much different (around 20fps on my V5-5500 on a PIII-900 at 1024*768 with 2xFSAA).

lxnyce

May 02, 2001, 01:57 PM

I apologize to all the people with the high powered machines. I won't take advantage of your cards superiority yet. No hardware tnl, no blitting polygons to the video card yet and mostly unoptimized code. I want everything to be finalized before I make such a change to the architecture. It is kinda easy to push all the visible polygons to the card, but it wouldn't be later on if I change it now. By the way, I am guessing the sound is too fast if you are getting 20+ fps, so let me know. I will patch it up.

337

May 02, 2001, 01:58 PM

13.2 fps on geforce 256 athlon 500. And also, you should really do something about that falling off the edge of the world thing, it is dangerous.

lxnyce

May 02, 2001, 01:59 PM

yeah, those are quake 2 models. I just loaded them in for test purposes. I really want hiercharcial object though.

lxnyce

May 02, 2001, 02:02 PM

Sorry man, I guess I really should start to make the optimizations for high end pc's. Thanks for following xonnel though, I promise to make it faster in future updates.

Brainiac

May 02, 2001, 02:08 PM

No, it wasn't meant that way. You don't have to apologize for anything. You are in this 3d stuff for years now and i really appreciate that. It's just that every engine version (even the old dos based ones) i tried was rather slow and after seeing an older version (already called xonnel 2000) where you gave the user the possibility to draw the outlines of the octree structure i came to the conclusion that you maybe put too much features into your engine and so you are ending up slower than you have to. The demo i'm talking about consisted of a rather simple room/house but it was heavily divided by that octree without any need.

lxnyce

May 02, 2001, 02:12 PM

Yeah, I remember. That was the last one, I will start to hook it up for you though. Not much people actualyl followed me from the dos days.

ZEN

May 02, 2001, 02:23 PM

win2k pro, geforce2mx
    medium detail
    1280x1024x32 10fps
    640x480x32 22fps

textures are kind of repetive on the land, other than that it is pretty cool

Scott Velasquez

May 02, 2001, 02:42 PM

Screenshots look nice. I'd say the only thing that really sticks out is not having any shadows, but other than that, nice work. ;)

lxnyce

May 02, 2001, 03:24 PM

-Zen
    I know the texture sucks. I couldn't get a good blend going on, but it supports multiple textures on the landscape without having to create textures for certain portions of the landscape. Every point can contain a mixture of 1-8 amount of textures currently. So that means that you don't have to create 1 big mesh to deal with all the textures, so it can easily be used with these previous iotd landscape texturers.

-Scott
    There are actually shadows made by the light source originating at that orange sprite (The sun) and the landscape, I just lightened them up, cause I thought that it would be too dark. Next time I will emphasis it, and probably try model/landscape shadows.
    Here are two screenshots of the shadows darkened.

Impossible

May 02, 2001, 03:50 PM

At least it looks like an actual game as opposed to a techgraphics demo or some weird landscape or image algorithm.

hdmx

May 02, 2001, 04:16 PM

Got around 40 fps (30 min, 80 max) on my machine (TB1300, 2GTS, W2K, DX8). Also I fall off the world and the sounds are really anoying. I guess these are small problems and besides this I think you made a nice engine. Others may be faster but you can actually do something with it.

hdmx

DarkReaper

May 02, 2001, 04:35 PM

Um...demo removed?

DarkReaper

May 02, 2001, 04:55 PM

Ah, sorry about that. The dates confused me =)

That was interesting. The controls were a bit awkward, but it looks pretty good. I only got about 15 FPS though =/

lxnyce

May 02, 2001, 05:13 PM

FIXES

If you got a page fault or any other crash, turn off sound by replacing config.sc in scripts directory with this file:

If you got the sound going crazy on you, just replace the file test.sc in scripts directory with this one:

Turns out that the cause of the crash is fmod, I am using the 3.25 version however. That is older than the newest one out.

lxnyce

May 02, 2001, 05:15 PM

Turns out that the sound is crashing it. The fix worked with someone else so try it.
    Replace the config.sc file in the scripts directory with this one :

The file is prob like 1k or something, so it should be easy.

lunar

May 02, 2001, 05:50 PM

Nice landscape. Like everybody says, its a little slow, but you know that. :) Take it easy.

Dean Harding

May 02, 2001, 05:56 PM

I love the giant :)

It says I was only getting around 12-15 fps, but it seems a lot faster than that to me, around 30-40. Anyway, it looks really cool!

Grugnorr

May 02, 2001, 07:26 PM

Nice work!. Are you sure your calculating the FPS right?. It looks more fluid than those 15 fps i get on my PIII 450,vodoo 3 3000, Windows 98.

Try improving the underwater look.

EGreg

May 02, 2001, 10:35 PM

This picture looks okay. However, I do not see the ponit of a game where a person carries a bridge. Also, the river is very small and the person is very big. The person can simply jump over it! Why do you have a bridge? Can you explain to me the purpose of everything being rather dark and the sky being white? Is this an example of gamma correction that has moved on to delta?

I like this image. It's much better than most other crappy images that are posted on this forum.

But seriously, that actually looks very nice, and the trees especially look realistic. What are you gonig to make with it?

TAKE A LOOK AT MY MASTERPIECE IT IS MUCH BETTER THOUGH!!!!

Sincerely,
    Greg

lxnyce

May 02, 2001, 11:47 PM

The whole level makes no sense really. I have little if not any talent when it comes to designing my own level. The gamma thing seems to be a problem to everyone. I have taken care of this in my next build, but it looked perfectly fine the way it was on my machine. It was not too dark for me, so sorry bout that. The reason the bridge is there is so that the giant doesn't feel too big. :-)

PrimeOrdeal

May 03, 2001, 01:08 AM

Newbie here... Just checked this out, it's very nice. I was getting 28 FPS in the desktop window, and about 12-14 in full screen mode (all defaults, Athlon 900, Win2K, Diamond Stealth S540).

No collision detection yet? (or did I miss it?)