Submitted by Javier Arevalo, posted on April 26, 2001

Image Description, by Javier Arevalo

This is a screenshot from the little intro "Durantro", which was presented at the Durango 2 demoparty in Spain. The intro is available in the downloads section of my web page, together with the Visual C++ 6 source code & project. Note that you will have to download MiniFMOD from the Firelight Multimedia web site, in order to recompile it. I think the source code is fairly well organised, even if not too feature-rich, and could serve as a starting point for people beginning to work with D3D 8.

The intro requires a Direct3D 8 - compatible 3D accelerator. Note that it also has to be the primary card, so users of Voodoo1 and 2 cards can't watch it. What can I say, we were in a hurry. :-) In fact, we only tested it on NVidia cards and the laptop's S3 whatever-it-is card.

EGreg

April 26, 2001, 12:52 PM

WHOO FIRST POST AGAIN! I'M ON A ROLL!!

What is the difference between primary card and not when using Direct3D 8?

Cheers,
greg

goltrpoat

April 26, 2001, 01:05 PM

Basically, say you get an et6k with a voodoo 2 hooked up to it. The et6k is your primary card. DX goes to query that for 3d capabilities, and the et6k says.. "I don't dooooo dat." And DX says.. "Fine, you won't see the intro then." And the et6k says.. "FINE" and DX says "FIIIIIINE" and slams the door. Then they end up in people's court, and Mills Lane yells at them for being such douchebags. Make sense?

-goltrpoat

edeltorus

April 26, 2001, 01:36 PM

Hi Jare!

Nice to see you back and do some scenestuff. Some years ago you where one of my personal coding heroes. I don't like the intro, it's slow and looks very unfinished, but who cares.. it's some kind of iguana lifesign for me. I'd love to see some really asskicking stuff from you again :-)

Nils
former submissive/cubic, now lazy gamecoder..

danthalas

April 26, 2001, 01:49 PM

Bah! You have no mercy with me! I'm very dissapointed seeing my first IOTD between your production and the farbrausch one. Don't you really find a better moment to destroy my self-confidence as programmer? :)

Well, nice to see that you have time to code some scene stuff while you are developing another amazing stuff.
The intro is fairly simple but a pretty piece of code. It runs smoothly on my system. I'm not worried about its simplicity since your 'fire demo' was simple too and I didn't stop on working until I coded something similar (This was a long time ago, when I was young ...).

Nice work.

Taluego.

sagacity

April 26, 2001, 02:01 PM

It seems to become 'de rigeur' to post pics of the demos/intros you're doing...

Hm. Why is it that I think people won't be impressed with an Antimoney screenshot around here? :)

[-WD40-]

April 26, 2001, 02:21 PM

Not quite what I call "Impressive" but I like your "Wave Cubes" effect...but the lines effect is to be honest really ugly :) But still, nice work

Betelgeuse

April 26, 2001, 02:31 PM

Bwhahahahahahahahahah!

DarkReaper

April 26, 2001, 04:52 PM

Nice and small :)

A'r-Ci-O'oh

April 26, 2001, 05:51 PM

Cool Demo! Small! Excellent Work!

Sharing source code is the way to go!
- Rolando

DooMWiz

April 26, 2001, 05:54 PM

*DooMWiz humps your leg.

bgl

April 26, 2001, 07:29 PM

It's interesting to see deep into the psyche of graphics programmers like this. Where else but flipcode?

The little voices were right all along.

DirtyPunk

April 26, 2001, 08:46 PM

I believe you will find this is more the psyche of #flipcode than anything else :)

Daxx909

April 27, 2001, 03:53 AM

Sorry, but... ugly.
Hast thou no sense of art? :-)

Moby Disk

April 27, 2001, 07:18 AM

The lines give it a nice digital feel, but they really don't add too much. The circles look great, and very progressive. I'm noticing more and more TV commercials using this effect. 2D circles and lines projected into space. Keep pushing in this new direction, even if everyone doesn't respond to it at first.

You should have named it "Duron-tro" and make it run only on AMD's new chips. :)

Jare

April 27, 2001, 08:32 AM

Hahaha! Thanks for the comments everyone. When I sent the IOTD and then saw "Art" as the current IOTD I dismayed at the idea that they could be comparable. "Art" rules, a whole different league. :)

- The thing was made in a rush, but I don't mean that as an apology; I think one of the aspects of demomaking for the sake of it is to simply start doing something and see where you end up. Don't question yourself too much, don't try to be the coolest thing ever, just do something you enjoy, let it flow.

- It's not by chance that the Iguana demopage (soon up) is entitled "Lifestyle & Gadgets For The Colorblind".

- The lines were the first primitive I implemented when I wrote the DX8 DisplayDevice. You know, when the system is ready to actually _do_ something. And, heh, when you have no time to add content, you simply go ahead with what you have.

- The progressive, flat/wireframe/cubes look is kind of a joke, since I am definitely not a big fan of these kinds of demos/intros. It became sort of a challenge trying to do something nice with a style I don't actually like (tough I respect).

- I wanted to release the source code because it is small, yet it contains most of the C++ programming idioms I have grown to use. The overall structure of the graphics engine is also the one I have found most useful (i.e. both Commandos 2 and Praetorians feature their own Base.h file, TError, CDisplayDevice and CRenderContext classes, Debug / Release / Final build configurations, etc). Not to sound pretentious, but as far as demo source code goes I think this is fairly high-quality, and will be a good starting point for Direct3D beginners. Look elsewhere for actual hi-tech functionality. :-)

Thanks again.

ent

April 27, 2001, 11:05 AM

it's great to see you again in the scene.
I've been reading your code. No doubt about it's fairly great quality. But i have a question to put:

Why aren't you using STL for vector and lists?

MC BAXTON

April 27, 2001, 11:35 AM

HAHAHA! cool ! Great ! Wonderful !
Small! Excellent Work!

[-WD40-]

April 27, 2001, 12:56 PM

"I'm noticing more and more TV commercials using this effect. 2D circles and lines projected into space. Keep pushing in this new direction, even if everyone doesn't respond to it at first. "

if no one respond to it then maybe they'll stop using this effect in commercials don't you think?

Martijn Stoffels

April 27, 2001, 01:24 PM

I'd be impressed if anyone could actually make out what it is that's showing on your screenshot, if you'd post it here :)

Antimony is cool, but I do suppose you should perhaps see it in action to appreciate it to its fullest, no? :)

xo

Martijn Stoffels

April 27, 2001, 01:26 PM

Your point being?

Jare

April 27, 2001, 02:57 PM

ent: I have only recently started to use STL for my own small utilities. I don't like a lot of things I've heard or read about the STL, which is why I'm pretty conservative in adopting it. For an intro which was intended to be pretty small in the first place, I don't think STL would be a good idea anyway. Heh not that linked lists are heavily used here (I think only in the pseudo-effectsystem list), but hey. I keep planning on using it more and more just to reach a less biased position about its tradeoffs. For anything resembling a medium/big project I simply don't recommend it on the basis that it's a PITA to debug and you own containers will take at most one day to develop (if you haven't already, which was my case here).

Martijn: I emphasize my previous comment about MC_BAXTON: he's just that kind of annoying troll, the best idea is to simply ignore him and he'll eventually go away.

entro[fr]

April 28, 2001, 12:40 PM

nice to see that my heroes of the past (hmmm... remeber starring at your poroductions with amazment back in 1993...) are still active.

keep the spice flowing