Submitted by Peter Koen, posted on April 24, 2001

Image Description, by Peter Koen

The aim of this intro was to simulate non realistic handdrawing and watercolor/aquarell-like texturing.

64k intro released at mekka&symposium 2001:
www.farb-rausch.com

-entro[fr]

geekster

April 25, 2001, 11:52 AM

I downloaded the file fr010scx_fixed.zip from their web site and I belive this is the final version(?). I see no anitialiased lines but don't take this as whining or anything. I were perhaps to harsh on the speed issue, the only place it starts to get a bit jerky is in the big city-scape.

I downloaded "the dot product" and was amazed of what they'd crammed into 64 kb. Again, great work.

Morten Bendix

Kurt Miller

April 25, 2001, 11:53 AM

Leave me out of this crap... I'm definitely not MC_BAXTON.

FreakFly

April 25, 2001, 11:55 AM

dude, please stop it, i'm getting tears in my eyes from laughing!!

deks

April 25, 2001, 11:56 AM

More news on MCBAXTON's life:

Seriously...

z66831

April 25, 2001, 11:57 AM

[rant]

I don't know really how to say this, and I know that it's going to sound just as silly and self-interested as MC_FOOL, but I'm almost to the point of not coming to the site any longer. I stopped reading slashdot for a while because of the same sort of thing, until I figured out that you can set the minimum moderation level for posts that you see. Mine is set at 3 (out of a possible 5) so I only see the things that thousands of other people have already read and decided isn't tripe.

I am a professional programmer. I consider (perhaps incorrectly) this site to be a sort of informal gathering of other professionals. If MC_DUDE talked in person to someone the way that he does in here he would most likely get punched or "escorted out of the building by security" often enough to make it stop.

Regardless of my musings the truth has to be one of two things: he's the coding equivalent of "impotent" and has to take his aggression and paranoia out on other talented developers...... or he's just a troll, intentionally trying to provoke other readers into flame wars. Either way Kurt, as has been stated above, he's polluting the site and really, really should just shut the hell up.

[/rant]

z66831

April 25, 2001, 12:02 PM

As a quick addendum to my post, I'd like to say a couple of things.

1) I *do* continue to read this site because there are so many other redeeming qualities.

2) I'm willing and interested in helping Kurt do something about a moderation system. I think something similar to what slashcode does, but more lightweight, might make this forum back into the treasure trove it used to be. At least a higher 'signal to noise' ratio, which is really all anyone can ask.

3) MC_BAXTON should post some personal information... I really would like to know where his experience lies, and how he feels that he can criticize EVERY SINGLE THING HE POSTS ABOUT. (And I don't mean that I want his home address... >:)

L.e.Denninger

April 25, 2001, 12:10 PM

Why stop visiting a site if there's only *one* thread you don't like..?

Just stop reading the thread, and move on to flipcode's other fantastic features.

There's enough content on Flipcode to see / read to keep you busy for a long while.
I wouldn't stop reading my newspaper just 'cause a few times there had been an advert in it that I didn't like - I'd skip to the good stuff.

Mournblade

April 25, 2001, 12:14 PM

> 'Getting back to the iotd, kick ass, nothing more to say'
> Dont know what to say about iotd ? Using kick ass in every case ?
> poor boyy. If you have nothing to say, why you're posting at all ?

No read the sentence: 'the' (I've underlined it for your benefit) is singular in regards to the 'iotd' which is also singular. As explained in the Oxford English dictionary (something you should read 'Baxton):

the (before vowel dhi, before consonant dhe, emphatic dhe) a. 'definite article', applied esp. to a person(s) or thing(s) already mentioned, under discussion, existant, unique, familiar, etc.; to singular nouns as repr. class etc.; with adjs. used abs; empathically to person or thing best known or best entitled to the name. adv in that degree, by that amount; the . . . the, by how much . . . by so much.

kewldude

April 25, 2001, 12:15 PM

This is almost as good as watching survivor or big brother, on no, wait, i hate those programs.

Mournblade

April 25, 2001, 12:20 PM

Some times it's amusing, but other times it really is annoying. This time it was amusing, but it is dragging out somewhat. Though I have to admit I am guilty of baiting him.

Siigron

April 25, 2001, 12:22 PM

I fully agree with z66831. I think it's obvious that the IOTD forums need at least some kind of moderation, since more than half of the posts here would probably qualify as "Flamebait" or "Offtopic" on Slashdot.

Mournblade

April 25, 2001, 12:36 PM

Actually 6 people wrote/worked-on it, so 6 people have the right to comment directly on it, but the fact that it was posted as an image of the day means that it is open to comment by his peers, and you my dear Baxton, are not his/they/any-of-our peers.

And I have to say that it is very good. Seemed to end rather suddenly on my machine just after the coders names apppeared. Also there is antialiasing - checkout the ends of the lines - adjust your contrast maybe.

It even stopped my housemate T from killing things for a few minutes. She prefers this one to .the.product but she's female and what do they know?-)

Wasn't Sanxion the sideways scrolling shoot'em up. I think I had it on the C64 many, many years ago.

Jare

April 25, 2001, 01:00 PM

I will only contribute to the MC_BAXTON topic once: People (especially L.E.D.), if you know MC_BAXTON is a troll, then just ignore him, his messages, his comments. Dont try to explain things to him, don't be offended, don't moderate him, simply ignore him. It works wonderfully well when applied, and leaves the moderator free to do better stuff with his time, which is something we will all appreciate (right Kurt?).

Wonderful job once again Farb-Rausch! And in this forum you guys are even polite, hahaha I wonder what regular cspid readers would think if they what you post here. The source code release was also a welcome addition.

Keep the good work.

Kurt Miller

April 25, 2001, 01:02 PM

z66, I agree with your points; and seeing as how they're coming from someone I respect, I especially appreciate the optimistic undertone. But as I'm sure you've noticed, this "trolling" comes and goes in cycles. I've tried several things in the past: asking nicely for people to respect others on the forums, removing the comment system altogether, and eventually adding a moderation system (the moderators seem to be slacking off, but hey, they're volunteers ;).

After several attempts to "fix" the problem, its just as bad or worse than it was before :). Three cheers for wasted time. But in any event, seeing as how I'm simply providing a forum for people to build up their own communities, I don't really accept responsibility for what individuals choose to say around here, which includes 'trolls' & those who respond to, or feed 'trolls'.

Further, I've concluded that trying to "control" a public forum such as this is pretty much a waste of time (or a full-time job) because a lot of people clearly want the 'flame' threads. Apparently they're amusing. While I personally think 'flame' threads on their own are sometimes funny, I find it incredibly disrespectful when people carry them out on an IOTD thread where someone was willing to share their work with the community. In general, I could care less about the "amusing" contents of the 'flame' threads; its the location that bothers me. But basically, if enough people want shitty spam-riddled forums on this site, I can't really stop them. If I cared to try again, the best I could probably do, without investing tons of time I don't have, is to close the forums (or the site).

But like I said, this all goes in cycles. A few months ago I was wasting time making a bunch of posts not unlike this one. No progress. Lots of wasted time. I better get back to my work... ;]

z66831

April 25, 2001, 03:35 PM

I'm going to tap lightly on a point that I didn't really make before: MC_BAXTON is only *part* of the problem. People that encourage him (and I realize that by posting about this _at all_ I'm doing the same thing, but sometimes there just no other way to express something) are a worse part of the problem. By feeding the troll, you're perpetuating the offence... if MC_BAXTON were left well enough alone, in all likelyhood he'd stop or go away.

I have a feeling that most of his 'problem' is an undeveloped sense of attitude towards others' work, coupled with a slight ESL (English as a Second Language) issue... there are times that his posts are almost lucid, and he makes some good points about flaws in the IOTD, but in general my problem with MC_BAXTON is that he's wrong, not that he's negative. My problem with *other* posters is the on-going flaming that takes place.

So in response to Kurt's above response, I think I understand that I'm in the minority: most of the people that read the site are either unaffected by his rantings, or enjoy the strife. :)

In a sense the forum, when unmoderated, shows a perfect snapshot of the readership of the site; when moderation or censorship takes place we all get an unrealistically good impression of the collective mind of flipcoders.

Que serra serra. :)

-z

Ant

April 26, 2001, 05:25 PM

I hope posting this doesn't start up what I see above so here goes.

When I first tried this demo out on the 24th, I thought it wasn't as impressive as .the .product either but now that I look back on it, I realize that it actually IS just as impressive. How many people have done anything like this without a 64Kb limit? I wouldn't even know where to begin to try and produce something like this (well, I'm exagerating a bit). An added bonus is that it doesn't crash on me after a certian point like .the .product did. I applaude your work on this demo. I have my ideas about how you compact your exe but am inspired to find out, "How'd you do that!"

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 ... out of 3) Next Last