Submitted by Peter Koen, posted on April 24, 2001

Image Description, by Peter Koen

The aim of this intro was to simulate non realistic handdrawing and watercolor/aquarell-like texturing.

64k intro released at mekka&symposium 2001:
www.farb-rausch.com

-entro[fr]

iztok bajec

April 24, 2001, 10:03 AM

I've seen the demo and I'm really amazed by the magical beauty of simple textures and sketchy look.

Though the edge lines could be a little bit softer and smoother.

David Olsson

April 24, 2001, 10:09 AM

Downloaded the source yesterday.
The demo was pretty cool, especially to see something that isn't "copy and paste" of someone elses idea.

Are the lines generated from the model or stored in another model ?

D3stY

April 24, 2001, 10:09 AM

This is really amazing... 3D Paints...

Great job guys.. :))

deks

April 24, 2001, 10:20 AM

Pretty good. Saw a similar 64k demo in 1996 by Psychic Link, Paper. Here's the link: ftp://us.hornet.org/pub/demos/demos/1996/p/paper.zip

Jean-Francois

flure

April 24, 2001, 10:48 AM

a bit slow (1-2fps) on my machine (pd-400 + tnt2) but quite still nice to watch ... seems a lot like a 'remake' of paper by statix ...

daveo_m

April 24, 2001, 11:35 AM

off-topic, but does anyone know what happened to psychic link? i loved their Juice demo

Dom Penfold

April 24, 2001, 12:08 PM

Yeah, psychic link's main programmer was Alex Evans, who went to work with Lionhead about 18 months ago and I think he's still there.

Hence no more psychic link, but b&w instead...

Revolver

April 24, 2001, 12:35 PM

Jeff Lander has a demo like this in Game Developer. Nifty.

Martijn Stoffels

April 24, 2001, 12:42 PM

I don't want to ruin your mood, but I must confess I liked your previous intro (fr-08) better. It gave me something of a "how the HELL did that fit into 64k"-feel I haven't had since watching Stash/TBL. But with this one, after thinking "hey, nice twist to cartoon shading" I quickly got bored. There's just nothing happening.

Please delight us with a decent intro again next time, would you? :)

xo/Solar

Jesse Chounard

April 24, 2001, 12:58 PM

I liked fr08 (.theproduct) better as well. But I'm still really impressed with this one. The watercolor effect was very trippy. I think it would be really cool to see a level drawn this way in a game. (Like you discovered a parellel universe where everything looks funny, or something.)

Good work!

Jesse

sagacity

April 24, 2001, 01:12 PM

Whereas fr-08 was merely an exercise in generation this intro at least had the decency to try and be different. So kudos(*) for that.

(*) Exchangable for beer. But I'm not paying.

groundh0g

April 24, 2001, 01:18 PM

I loved this demo. This would make a great cityscape background that more traditional cartoon-rendered 3d characters could inhabit.

danthalas

April 24, 2001, 01:32 PM

fr-08 was an impressive work but this one is really COOL.

Comanche

April 24, 2001, 01:52 PM

Are that Perlin Noise Functions who draw the sketch lines?

stoo

April 24, 2001, 03:34 PM

Coo, first post.

I'm writing a sketch renderer for uni. Its really cool to see how other people are doing the effect, and I really like this demo. I make the sketchy lines by modifying the end points with just some plain old noise. For line segments that are long enough, they are divided up, and drawn as a nice quadratic curve to imitate that little flick you get when drawing sketchy lines.

I have been messing around for ages to get a nice "fill" for the polygons. This demo does it really nicely (the pastal shading).
Very cool.

stoo

ecko_53

April 24, 2001, 03:46 PM

I liked it...I thought the other demo was MUCH better, but this one gets bonus points for being origional. Keep up the good work! I just want to know how the HELL you got the first one in 64k...my jaw drops every time I watch that demo...

regards,
ecko_53

Fabian Giesen

April 24, 2001, 04:25 PM

flure: Get the final verison, should be faster now (sorry for the inconvenience...)

Martijn: It was never our intention to make every intro better than the previous one. This is simply an utopia. First, we don't have the energy to do so, and second, we don't necessarily aim to be the best or something like that, we are just a bunch of people that have fun doing demos. So we do what we like, not what we think would be most impressive (although we sometimes like to impress people, of course :). So don't expect stuff like fr-08 the whole time... but I think we WILL sooner or later do something in that class again, so just wait :)

Comanche: Yes, and the textures are generated using Perlin Noise aswell.

ecko: Please note that this is not our second 64k intro to be released under farbrausch, but in fact the third one. The second one was fr-011, a rather fastmade invitation for Mekka&Symposium, a demoparty in Northern Germany (where this intro was originally released, btw)

Anyway, thanks guys for the nice comments!
-ryg/farbrausch

Jan Niestadt

April 24, 2001, 04:34 PM

Ermm.. I must be really stupid (friends confirm this :-), but where can I download the demo? I've been to the site, but I'm not sure what's what..

Jan Niestadt

April 24, 2001, 04:40 PM

Oh wait, I've found it now, it's called 'art'.. the large letters in the picture should've been a clue. *sheepish grin*

Extremely cool, both technically and artistically!

MC BAXTON

April 24, 2001, 04:41 PM

My first impression was:
Oh, My God !
Well, this sketchy look could be created by simple "drawing" application, but of course you'd need to use your poor mouse more actively.

Is it has much sense fitting into 64Kb now ? ( Well .. NASTY habbits :)
Im not sure why I would need such a sketch drawing application. Could you please enlighten me ?
Why is it better, why it is very useful, why it's cool and so on ?

Michael Morton

April 24, 2001, 05:33 PM

This is the coolest thing i have ever seen Period. : ) MC_BAXTON: download the demo and check it out. it Rox!

L.e.Denninger

April 24, 2001, 05:35 PM

I guess MC_BAXTON doesn't know demo's or the demoscene...
Oh well, it's not his fault he's ignorant :)

Tobias Franke

April 24, 2001, 05:53 PM

Maybe he knows the demoscene but can't distinguish between demo and intro... anyway, I like this one, but I'll join the others saying .the .product was better =) What I liked most about .the .product was the music! Great job anyway, keep up the good work!

MC BAXTON

April 24, 2001, 06:41 PM

L.E. Deninger or whatever you are ... Listen carrefully and turn your speakers on.
It's not your fault that you're not able to say something more clever.
Now you can turn your speakers off, and shutdown windows.
Thankx

MC BAXTON

April 24, 2001, 07:02 PM

Further explanation(I see you badly need it) is here, so put your glasses on, Mr. E. Deninger

I quess that Mr. E. Deninger doesn't know the purpose of demo. So can you say what's the purpose of demo(your point), and why it shouldn't show general purpose of the program ?
Any demo could answer at previously asked questions. BTW, this question wasn't for you, so its nothing strange that youre incompetent.
Can you make your comments little longer than two lines ? Any problems with that, you have nothing to say, lack of thinking ?
And also I quess that you're one from those of 15 yr old.(+- 4)

That's all folks

Joris Mans

April 24, 2001, 07:29 PM

Hi there, lemme explain.
The purpose of this "demo" is not to showcase a "real" products abilities or anything, it's just a work of art on it's on, showcasing nothing more than the abilities of the ppl that made it.
You can consider it as being a "real-time video clip".

What sets this one (or this genre) apart from other "demos" (hence the name "intro" to make a difference) is that it fits completely in 64 KiloBytes, including all music, gfx etc.

So this is not a demo of a drawing program, but a video-clip showcasing what some ppl made in there spare time for fun... in 64k!

Joris

IOHazard

April 24, 2001, 10:44 PM

Though I'm sure real literary minds would shoot me, I like to think of demos and intros as the poetry of the programming world. (PERL poems are just silly though.)
-MAj
PS: I loved the intro.
PPS: So did my wife. (Who hates demos usually)

Lucid

April 25, 2001, 02:55 AM

MC BAXTON... I don't even really know the demo scene well and I can tell that you have *no* clue about its purpose and goals...

kewldude

April 25, 2001, 03:13 AM

You stupid fuck! You haven't seen it you dont know about intros and demos, i hate you!

thec

April 25, 2001, 04:32 AM

Loved the city fly-by's... excellent, but what I also liked in this demo was the great music... especially the cover of that old c64-music... rob hubbard?

Excellent
Albert

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 ... out of 3) Next Last