Submitted by Kevin Kennedy, posted on April 19, 2001

Image Description, by Kevin Kennedy

This is my first image of the day. I just finished writing a screensaver for fun using directdraw. It only uses directx for access to video card memory and the surface flipping. The basic idea was to have a bunch of different particle system effects that can be smoothly transitioned. It works sort of like a dj spinning records. It plays one effect for awhile and then "crossfades" to another. You can download the screensaver from www.dropdesigns.com/astral.

Mark Friedenbach

April 20, 2001, 12:56 AM

Well, I wouldn't consider myself an expert on the subject, as I've only been able to have two non-spontaneous Out of Body Experiences (I consider OBE's and Atral Projection to be two words for the same thing, although some would disagree for various reasons).

Strong mental training has allowed me to spontaneously project from time to time though (i.e, I'll be walking down the street, trip and fall flat on my face [without any pain], and then get drawn back into my body and realize that I never tripped at all, my astral self just fell out of my body for a moment). I guess you could say that the more you practice, the less connected your body and astral self become, and it becomes all the more easier to separate the two.

One promising method that I have yet to try is the "Hit by Train" method (or at least that's what I call it ;). Ever had one of those 'falling' dreams where you fall out of a plane, or off a cliff, or whatever and suddenly wake up with a jolt? Basically what happens is that your mind throws your astral self out of your body temporarily, and then wakes you up with enough force to jolt you awake (that's why the falling sensation is so real - you really are falling).

The Hit-by-Train method is just an extension of this natural phenomenon, and is quite simple to do. The next time you go lucid, just conjure up a set of train tracks, and dream up a nice sleek bullet train coming at you at, say, Mach 4. Hopefully, if the train is going fast enough, it the force of the impact will throw your astral self out of alignment enough for a possible OBE (but be prepared to fight against the silver cord, which can be pretty nasty when you're within around fifteen feet of the body).

Anyway, I'll stop talking now. This thread's gone about as off-topic as one can get ;) Feel free to email me if you want to have more detailed discussions about AP/OBEs.

Mark Friedenbach

April 20, 2001, 01:09 AM

Stop using these stupid <div> tags!

ecko_53

April 20, 2001, 01:20 AM

Mark Friedenbach

April 20, 2001, 01:23 AM

For the love God, Nooo!

What were we talking about again?

[-WD40-]

April 20, 2001, 01:25 AM

If you've never posted here, read the guidelines for formatting and rules. If you have not created an account yet, create one here!

Note: To post syntax highlighted c++ code, use the :: code goes here ::

tag. HTML support is currently: enabled.

[-WD40-]

April 20, 2001, 01:26 AM

Let's talk about love baby, let's talk about you and me

[-WD40-]

April 20, 2001, 01:29 AM

ahhh now this is better, I was sick of my "signature" line

[-WD40-]

April 20, 2001, 01:31 AM

We should do a real-time IOTD forum-chat thing once

[-WD40-]

April 20, 2001, 01:32 AM

That was my last post

[-WD40-]

April 20, 2001, 01:32 AM

...until I posted this one

Sweex

April 20, 2001, 03:46 AM

Why da HELL do you call yerself WD40?! I use "you" when my lock is stuck!

And stop posting crap...

thec

April 20, 2001, 04:24 AM

weeee heeeee

POST 42!!!! ;-)

I.E. Saying I'm really really bored of all "first post"-messages... plus, 42 is soooo much cooler :)

Work on the screensavers man!

albert

Pilot

April 20, 2001, 04:29 AM

It's enough, these posts don't make us wise. I'm sorry for my misbehaviour...

MC BAXTON

April 20, 2001, 05:20 AM

The Last Post (probably)

Tobias Franke

April 20, 2001, 05:37 AM

Astral Projection rocks (in both terms, your screensaver and the music) =) Although MFG is great too!

Jari Komppa

April 20, 2001, 08:04 AM

It looks like this message board misuse is heading towards the direction where these message boards will be closed again..

Grow up, please.

monkeyboy

April 20, 2001, 02:01 PM

Really nice, but ya, it runs a little choppy at times on a dual cellery 533 with 192MB RAM (16 MB TNT2 vid card). A little more color would be good. Really impressive though, keep it up man.

MrDevlin

April 20, 2001, 03:30 PM

Could somebody post about DIV tags in his techfile or something.
I want to annoy our system administrator at school ;)
Please ???????