Submitted by Kevin Kennedy, posted on April 19, 2001

Image Description, by Kevin Kennedy

This is my first image of the day. I just finished writing a screensaver for fun using directdraw. It only uses directx for access to video card memory and the surface flipping. The basic idea was to have a bunch of different particle system effects that can be smoothly transitioned. It works sort of like a dj spinning records. It plays one effect for awhile and then "crossfades" to another. You can download the screensaver from www.dropdesigns.com/astral.

ironfroggy

April 19, 2001, 01:24 PM

First off, FIRST POST!

Second, Winamp plugin anybody??

Ezra

April 19, 2001, 01:37 PM

Pretty neat there! Good work!

Ezra

Patrick Selley

April 19, 2001, 01:57 PM

Thats pretty damn smooth.

Anthracks

April 19, 2001, 02:06 PM

Well, I'm impressed :) Great job Kevin!

Anthracks

Pants

April 19, 2001, 02:18 PM

How do you do the crossfade? Just make each particle move to its new positions in the new system I s'pos?

[-WD40-]

April 19, 2001, 04:41 PM

Nice!
I don't like screensavers but it should be interresting if you'd port it to Winamp... it could use a little more colors though
anyway, nice work :)

Funkymunky

April 19, 2001, 04:43 PM

damn man I got lost in that screensaver for a few hours...

danthalas

April 19, 2001, 04:59 PM

Well a bit old-fashioned concept I think. And a bit slow on higher resolutions on my now-snail-machine (PII440). Despite of this it's always nice to view this kind of effects better to that fake starfield simulation, the headaching laberynth or a plain Laetitia Casta photo slideshow (I must be mad to say the last one!! :)).

With some refinement and upgrading it seems to be a perfectly suitable plug-in for WinAmp or my preferred Sonique.

And despite the previous critics I really like this kind of effect. So, if it's useful information to you, now your screensaver runs when I leave my chair more than fifteen minutes.

Taluego.

dva13

April 19, 2001, 05:00 PM

Kudos! And yes, please do make it a WinAmp plug-in. Making the parameters (like color) user configurable would be nice too.

MC BAXTON

April 19, 2001, 05:04 PM

I'd recommend2read "The Art of Demonology", published in 1630. It's well known that author has soon dissappeared in mysterious circumstances just after publication.
Quote from this book: "The evil can have different shapes and forms. Sometimes it looks like spinning circles, sometimes you just see fountain of fire. The evil shapes usualy have dark colors, especially blue and dark brown." (taken from thirteenth chapter - "The shapes of Evil")

Buster

April 19, 2001, 05:23 PM

Heh... I stared at it for an hour or so and now I can't remember how to code ASP.

[-WD40-]

April 19, 2001, 06:03 PM

Wow, to be honest I like your screensaver! in 320x240 tou get the most out of the blur effect :)
At least it doesn't crash like all the other screensavers I've tried...

anyone likes this CPP style post?

Mark Friedenbach

April 19, 2001, 06:17 PM

Mark Friedenbach

April 19, 2001, 06:17 PM

Well, at least Mr. Baxton is being a little more creative with his 'critiques.'

iMalc

April 19, 2001, 06:25 PM

I second that - NO.

iMalc

April 19, 2001, 06:26 PM

Totally tubular dude!

Richard Szalay

April 19, 2001, 06:29 PM

Most impressive my friend.

[-WD40-]

April 19, 2001, 06:29 PM

At least I'm not posting 2 messages with one line of text or even one word each... I don't think we need to mention some names here...

Tobias Franke

April 19, 2001, 06:44 PM

Astral Projection? Do you listen to tracks of this group?
Anyway, great stuff!

MC BAXTON

April 19, 2001, 07:36 PM

I have some compliments after trying this screensaver. it works in win2k without crashing. It looks quite good, and style of moving "light dots with tails" looks more suitable for screensaver than maze, for example.
The bad thing that it's a bit too slow. It runs fast on my PIII 500, but such proggy should run smoother. The similar thing ran on my 486 some years ago. It was very fast, it has more 'dots' and most likely was written in ASM.
However, this proggy is far better than all other screensavers posted on this IOTD, because others all crashed or looked extremely silly, forcing me quickly clean my PC.

MC BAXTON

April 19, 2001, 07:53 PM

And you do not need to post your comments in cpp box

Kevin Kennedy

April 19, 2001, 08:15 PM

Hey, this is Kevin... Thanks for the kind words. I wasn't aware the general populous is still using winamp. I know everyone but me is using windows media player at my office. The next version should have a bunch more config settings. As for the "slowness", I developed this on a four year old machine at 640x480 and it was pretty clean. I know the higher resolutions can be slow, but the overall blurriness makes it still look okay at a low resolution. Yes, I do dig Astral Projection (goa trance), but that's not why I chose the name. I think it's pretty cool what some people say they can do with their minds.

[-WD40-]

April 19, 2001, 09:34 PM

Awesome blur effect, I like the tunnel effect also
Has this page been hacked????? Well..looks like it.
Very very very very simple hack and really annoying. That was my first and last "hack" of this sort. Shouldn't happenned again. Sorry, it was too easy...

Mark Friedenbach

April 19, 2001, 10:14 PM

You should try it some time. It's pretty trippy.

Kevin Kennedy

April 19, 2001, 10:55 PM

What's your technique? My belief is that you have to train you mind to get into an altered state of conciousness similar to a ketamine induced dissociation. Sounds like it would be difficult. However, I have successfully experimented with lucid dreaming.

Thunderbird

April 19, 2001, 11:26 PM

What is lucid dreaming and how do people do it? I think it means dreaming and haveing the dream seem very real, I wish I could have those.

-Blackstream

Pilot

April 19, 2001, 11:36 PM

Yeah, it rocks...
Well guys, it seems you should correct your posting engine. Am I wrong, [-WD40-]? ;-)

[-WD40-]

April 19, 2001, 11:50 PM

Sure it does...
I agree Pilot ;)

[-WD40-]

April 20, 2001, 12:06 AM

You should check out the Winamp 3.0 Vis SDK once it goes public...
#################################################################################################################################################

Mark Friedenbach

April 20, 2001, 12:19 AM

Lucid Dreaming is basically dreaming while knowing full well that you are dreaming. Another way of putting it would be that your mind (Self, Id, etc.) is awake, while your body is asleep and your brain in dream-mode. The Lucid Dreamer is 100% in control, and can shape the dream as s/he desires. Lucid Dreams typically last between 15-45 minutes, although it is possible for them to last up to an about hour and a half, depending on when you go to sleep, and for how long.

Now, as for how to 'get' Lucidity.. It isn't too hard. The problem is remembering your dream. The average person dreams for roughly 2-4 hours each night (numbers are just out of my memory, might be a little off). But can you tell me what you dreamed about last night? No? That's because you forget rather rapidly when asleep. You usually need to be waken up either during, or within five minutes of your last dream to remember it. It is, however, possible to extend your ability to remember dreams through various meditation exercises.

Anyway, I digress. Nowadays there are two ways to increase one's chances of initiating Lucid Dreaming: using centuries-old tried and true mental techniques, or some new-fangled specialized equipment that gives you "YOU ARE DREAMING" messages with little flashing red lights while your are sleeping. Both paths work from my experience, but I don't want to get into the details in a forum such as this. Instead I'll redirect you to a related website.