Submitted by GabitaSoft, posted on April 17, 2001

Image Description, by GabitaSoft

This is a screenshot of a landscape sample made with the TrueVision3D Engine It hase a realistic landscape with a detail texture, multi textures ,skybox, lens flares, water effects, a mesh with gravity and a lot more.

You can download the sample at: http://www.truevision3dsdk.com

And you can download also the engine at the site to develop your own games with special terrains/bsp/mesh/...

Regards,
TrueVision3D Support

danthalas

April 18, 2001, 01:36 PM

Tu espaņol es bueno muchacho. Pero hay que mejorar algunos aspectos.

Your spanish is good guy. But there are some aspects to improve.

Taluego.

MC BAXTON *UNCENSORED*

April 18, 2001, 01:38 PM

I suggest to create at few different iotd's

1) for serious ppl
2) for kids
3) for popular rambling
4) for Mr Baxton

Or at least all messages should have assigned category or attribute, something like:

struct MsgAttr_t
{
char category[1];
int PervertionLevel; // 0 if no perversion detected
bool bBaxtonAlert;
// the following should be always true if bBaxtonAlert is true
bool bPotentiallyOffensive;
bool bSecured; // sometimes could be useful
bool bOnlyVb; // always true if category is for kids
bool bTotalNonsense; // used in rare cases
};

A, B, C, D

where, for example, if message is marked D that would mean it's MC BAXTON, it it's C - popular ramblings.
B - from those belonging to kindergarten and perverted teachers

danthalas

April 18, 2001, 01:48 PM

I don't like VB. That's my problem. If someone codes something in VB and it works enough to be viewable/playable/ or so, and I don't like VB, that's my problem. But surely I will play with a game that enjoys me whatever it was coded in VB, Cobol or (Agh!) Eiffel.

My first program was done when I had 5 in a Sinclair ZX81:

10 input a
20 input b
30 print a+b

Great!!. Now I'm 23 and I'm not able to do it much better than this.
That's my problem. If someone who has 15 or 7 can do something better than me, that's fine for all who uses his programs and not mine ones.

So. The IOTD looks nice enough and better to another which only have had eulogies. Of course it's not perfect and some critics must be done. But only constructive ones, I think.

Taluego.

NEGA

April 18, 2001, 02:15 PM

Ok, are most of the flipcoders on crack, Ive just read most of the over 100 posts, and i can safely conclude. THEY'RE JUST LENSFLARES, Let it go. They are only meant to add some detail to an in-game scene not be mathematically perfect like the physical(real) world.
Secondly, Age is not important, im betting, most of us *computer geeks* have been doing this since we were really young. I personally started programming around 8. Nothing to brag about.
Im guessing the posters of the IOTD, dont speak english natively, just a guess. anyways.. Why did people jump from making fun a petty age discussion, to making fun of their age, to making fun of mesh gravity, (which im guessing was meant to be height map, with gravity collision detection, you know, if this point's height is less than the interpolated regional heightvalues, you must have hit the ground, im just guessing thats what they meant) and other obvious language mistakes, or maybe they do speak perfect english just type realy fast and with errors, who am i to judge :)

anyways im gonna stop writing preachy stuff now..

Punchey

April 18, 2001, 02:49 PM

Here's a screenshot of the lense flare effect in my latest terrain engine:

Giggles!

Ready4Dis

April 18, 2001, 03:39 PM

Incase you couldn't figure that last post out THE movie I'm refering to was Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Hey, I bet you could see a lens flare in some of the shots when the camera is facing the sun.. ;).

Billy

Ready4Dis

April 18, 2001, 03:41 PM

You know.. that lens flare in this (http://www.aboveandbeyondsoft.com/samples.html) screen shot actually looks more realistic than this IOTD.

Billy

Punchey

April 18, 2001, 04:07 PM

That's kinda bad seeing as how I created that image as a "spoof" of sorts to illustrate the use of overdone and rediculous lense flares. But now that you mention it, I think you're right.

Punchey

April 18, 2001, 04:16 PM

I guess I never really made this clear but, I actually think this IOTD looks quite nice with the exception of the lense flare (which is just for demonstration purposes as I understand). I even like the detail texture. Good job.

AndrewST

April 18, 2001, 04:26 PM

What?? Your post makes no sence at all.

Hector

April 18, 2001, 05:04 PM

You guys were out of line with your flames. It disgusts me to see Flipcode being dragged down by the likes of those of you who have contributed flames in this lattest IOTD. I have been following Flipcode for a long time in the shadows, its rather pathetic that my first post would be to tell you schmucks to shape up.

btw, I believe when he originally brought up his age it wasnt to say,"Look what I did and I'm only 15." It was to say,"Lay the hell off, I'm just a kid and dont have the experience alot of you do." You should be applauding kids when you see them working hard and learning to program. By throwing insults at them you are only scaring them away from the programming field. What does that gain you? Unless you are worried that your own programming skills are inadequate :P

In finishing, I hope that you are all more capable of contributing to a conversation than what you have exhibeted here. Were not impressed.

Oh, and Braxton... for the love of God... please limit your unintelligible posts to one a day. I mean, that program just didnt compile for me, wtf? I'll look it over, there must be a missspelling somewhere.

Hector
"But you can call me Hannibal *wink*"

ector

April 19, 2001, 02:03 PM

hey that image's some VERY old crap I did years ago... I haven't bothered updating my site for a LONG time..
my real landscape engine is of course better.. perhaps i'll put a screenshot up soon.

Comanche

April 19, 2001, 03:40 PM

Hmm... I don't think you can rate a programmer by age. You should rate by experience. If you are really intelligent you can begin programming with 14 or with 23, the result would be the same.

I'm 16 years old and I postet a flipcode IOTD too. Nice work guys! May I have your e-mail address?

MC BAXTON

April 19, 2001, 09:39 PM

fluffy

April 23, 2001, 01:05 PM

The Outer Limits episode was also called "Inconstant Moon." There were a few differences between the story and the Outer Limits episode (like, in the story he doesn't get impaled by flying chunks of wood), but on the whole the episode stuck pretty well to the story, and was also done pretty well.

Lars Birkemose

May 12, 2001, 07:19 AM

I think its cool work...
Far from perfect, but very cool indeed..

The comments about age are silly. At first from the original poster (but his excused by... hmm... age ;o) and then from all the punks who never wrote a single line of usable code in their lifes, but in stead uses their time picking on these dudes.

Sylvain is ofcause wrong when he thinks VB is cool.. its not... it stinks actually, but on the other hand, they made the best of it.
Polycount and fillrate has little (if nothing) to do with the language your coding in... right ?

Lars

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 ... out of 3) Next Last