Submitted by GabitaSoft, posted on April 17, 2001

Image Description, by GabitaSoft

This is a screenshot of a landscape sample made with the TrueVision3D Engine It hase a realistic landscape with a detail texture, multi textures ,skybox, lens flares, water effects, a mesh with gravity and a lot more.

You can download the sample at: http://www.truevision3dsdk.com

And you can download also the engine at the site to develop your own games with special terrains/bsp/mesh/...

Regards,
TrueVision3D Support

Jan Niestadt

April 18, 2001, 03:36 AM

Great picture.

You know what really bothers me about some of these comments? They change the subject line of the post. So during my morning round of the message center I'll see a new subject and click on it, and end up at the IOTD again. Sometimes FIVE times in a row!!

Sylvain Dupont

April 18, 2001, 03:40 AM

Thanks for any tip and any comments you sent here.

I know that our engine is not perfect, and that's why it's good to post a picture here to discuss about it.

Yeah, Sigurd (the picture poster) said we are 15-16 and it's true actually... It was just a useless information. (However if we can do this when we are 15-16, what things will we be able to do later ?)

About the *SLOW* VB problem, I have to say that it's totally wrong.

On a Voodoo Banshee, I have this scene running (without details texturing of course) at 25/30 FPS that represents over 900000 tri/sec that is correct on a such card.
On a Geforce2, I have this lanscape running (witth details) at 50/60FPS with the high quality, that represents over 4.5Mtri/sec.

So you will say, Why to develop a C++ engine ? :)

Personally, JUST FOR FUN ;) Actually I learnt a lot from DirectX8 and Memory Management when I created TV VB. Now I'm learning C++ and I can say it's almost the same than VB (about DirectX). ATL Objects and Templates (Vectors, map...) are quite easy.
This FUN work is the best way to enter in the professional work. I know it's not good, but Exhibition is always the main word...

Thanks again for everyone who posted :)

Regards
Sylvain
TrueVision 3D Starter & Programmer

flure

April 18, 2001, 03:41 AM

well, ... kids ...

ok, you did some great work ... but now it's time to grow up ... such childish attitude will never help you ...

flure

April 18, 2001, 03:48 AM

well, nowadays, nobody knows anymore how to draw some lines (without using glBegin(GL_LINES); ) ...

L.e.Denninger

April 18, 2001, 04:25 AM

I am a woman.

My wife is a man.

She's 12 years old.

goltrpoat

April 18, 2001, 04:34 AM

Um, is it just me, or is a landscape, a sky plane and a misaligned lens flare just not nearly enough to justify THIS much bragging? I mean, I generally try not to rag on IOTD posters, but considering that probably a third of the people here have put together "engines" like that overnight, isn't there a certain limit to the pompousness you should be able to achieve in your posts without sounding utterly ridiculous?

goltrpoat

sagacity

April 18, 2001, 05:24 AM

Which is all well and good, but does your wife have gravity?

Pants

April 18, 2001, 06:01 AM

Yeah, the story buy Larry Niven was called Inconstant Moon. I haven't seen the episode yet though.

Pants

April 18, 2001, 06:11 AM

I think you'll find that I independantly came up with heterotic M-theory while cooking my breakfast last week. Ummm Cow and Gate mushed carrot and peas!

Mum, wheres my bottle?!?!

Pants

April 18, 2001, 06:19 AM

When I'm driving down the road at night I deffinitly see "Something" that might be interpreted as a lense flare but it doesn't look like this.

I see a line of light through each of the headlights of oncoming traffic. This line of light os oriented toward me eyes.

Maybe thats now very clear.

You know in films how they show stars with big vertical and horizontal lines coming out of them. Its there to show how bright the object is. Right thats exactly the effect I am talking about. Now imagine pushing the star off to the left. The vertical line through the star would rotate around the star so that it is still pointing at my eyes (The center of the screen)

Thats about the only optical effect I really notice on the real world.

Pete

Martijn Stoffels

April 18, 2001, 07:28 AM

I think she defies all that. Maybe she is a positronic negatron!

/xo

Mournblade

April 18, 2001, 07:56 AM

I do. I also got asked how to draw a circle effeciently without using sin or cos at an interview I had a while back. I also did it without a sqrt. I reused the calculations to draw 4 pixels at a time (I since worked out I could draw 8 at a time).

Didn't get the job though:-(

Us old skool programmers remember the good'ole days.

L.e.Denninger

April 18, 2001, 09:03 AM

LOS FORASTEROS ESTÁN RAPTANDO NUESTROS PANTALONES

Ésta es una declaración incendiario, una declaración que cambiará a los humanos de la manera se percibe en su relación al universo. Yo sé que es tiempo por las personas del mundo ser mostrado la verdad, no importa cómo perturbando. También es indispensable que las personas entienden que las cosas están acelerando, no sólo la situación de los pantalones, pero el universo entero está acelerando. Corriendo hacia el cero absoluto, corriendo hacia el grande vacío. Los forasteros saben esto y tienen empezó raptando los pantalones fuera de ansiedad, fuera de pánico. Todos los humanos son subalterno-conscientemente conscientes de esta aceleración, pero su bloque de las mentes lógico la realización de materializar. Es mi propósito para educar las masas, para una " sociedad ido sicópata " es inevitable, pero quizás yo puedo ahorrar nuestros pantalones.

DirtyPunk

April 18, 2001, 09:27 AM

Yes, I am quite resplendent in my large thai-dyed rain coat.

DirtyPunk

April 18, 2001, 09:30 AM

And I would like to point out I am in no way related to the D.P. in the forums. He's just a trespassin' on mah dirt-farm.

Punchey

April 18, 2001, 09:33 AM

THat's most probably caused by your eyelashes. Try opening your eye really wide and see if the effect recedes.

Punchey

April 18, 2001, 09:51 AM

Sounds kinda like incontinent moon. What mental imagery!

Pants

April 18, 2001, 10:04 AM

I'll try it later.

Its still a cool effect though. Much better than lots of circles on the screen.

Pants

April 18, 2001, 10:05 AM

Huhh?

NegativePing

April 18, 2001, 10:10 AM

I know what that it is the goal to make it as realistic as possible. But I was only trying to give some encoragement.

Avulsion

April 18, 2001, 10:10 AM

EL POLLO DIABLO!!! =)

Nice pic Sylvain et al. Look at all the flames you are getting... you must be doing something right. Looks excellent.
And I might point out something that's been bugging me a bit: when you look at a light in Unreal/Half Life, that's a lens flare... the hazy circle. You get that in real life, with your eyes. When you look at the sun like this and in Serious Sam, it's called lens reflections.
I could be wrong though, but I'm pretty sure.

Also, the flames above are pretty juvenile and unbecoming of the usual flipcode standards... these guys have taken more flak in this page than most of us have in our life... and they are 15. Give them a chance; I doubt many of the flamers above could have had something that nice when they were 15.

Anyway, pedantics aside, that does look great. Keep it up fellas.

Lachie

Punchey

April 18, 2001, 10:15 AM

First, VB for something like this is probably going to be almost as fast as C++. Why? Becuase it's mostly just API calls to DLLs/libraries/whatever-they're-called-in-VB that were compiled in C/C++/ASM. So most of the actual executed code IS C/C++/ASM. Only a few calls inbetween are going to be VB-compiled and some of those can be just as fast as C++ depending on what they are.

About the age thing, I think the only reason some people (myself included) began to mock the age-boasting is because for a little while there was a real prick-waving contest between some people about age. One guy would say "I'm only 15" and the another would say "Oh yeah? I'm 17 and mine's better and I started when I was 7", and so it began. So, given that, I don't think it's uncalled for at all for a few of us to poke a little fun at the silly argument that was brewing. Besides, it helped to defuse a thread that could easily have turned ugly by posters cascading their own personal braggings of their childhood accomplishments. So everybody just chill out, okay?

Punchey

April 18, 2001, 10:19 AM

One more clarification, I don't think the age mockings were meant to mock the TrueVision guys so much as it was to mock the _argument_ that had started between a couple of posters about who was a better programmer at a younger age. So we're not flaming any body individually. We're merely poking fun at the petty squabling about age that had started.

Charles Rouse

April 18, 2001, 10:59 AM

I used it for a while to get my feet wet in 3D programming. I am looking forward to trying the C++ version. If it remains open source as the VB version it will probably be THE engine for amateur & aspiring developers.

The problem with the VB version is not the fault of the engine but the fault of VB. It just can't handle the stress of a large game. I did some extensive tests with VB & TV and it made an awesome landscape demo - it made an awesome AI demo - it even made an awesome AI on landscape demo, but when when I started adding complexity, things quickly came apart.

David A. Winter will show off his Football game & tell you anything can be done in VB if your code skills are up to snuff. Maybe I was just biases against his game because I have no interest in football, butI personally thought it looked like crap. VB just doesn't hack it for games.

flure

April 18, 2001, 11:17 AM

hey, i wanna know your method of drawing a circle !!!

omaha_os3

April 18, 2001, 12:03 PM

I just wanted to re-iterate that I was in no way degrading the quality of this IOTD, I seriously think that it is very nice. I did get a little carried away with my earlier post on lens flares, it's just that it seems as if everyone and their grandma has added them to their game/engine, and many of them seem overdone.

One more time just in case: I think all you guys at GabitaSoft have done an excellent job here. Keep up the good work.

Punchey

April 18, 2001, 12:08 PM

That may be, but I formulated the _basis_ for it. Incedentally, I formulated it while looking at the mobile hanging over my crib. Can you explain to me how to cook breakfast? That's a very advanced concept and I think that would be really cool to be able to do. Maybe we can write a computer game about it? I can just see it now: First Person Breakfast Cooking of Terror! Fully bump-mapped sausage patties with specular grease lighting! All on a non-stick surface! With no messy cleanup.

Punchey

April 18, 2001, 12:09 PM

Very true!

Falagard

April 18, 2001, 12:13 PM

"VB just doesn't hack it for games."

I don't agree. VB can be fine for games if the 3d engine is written in C++.

This means that the engine should be written in C++, compiled as COM, and accessed from VB. The slow down is always the rendering code and not the game logic, which would be done in VB.

Clay

MC BAXTON *UNCENSORED*

April 18, 2001, 01:04 PM

==
The truly good VB engine can only be written in C++
But in that case it wouldn't be a VB engine
==

'I don't agree. VB can be fine for games if the 3d engine is written in C++'
I should say it would be quite silly combination. Maybe people experiencing deep love for VB could do it(like those -15 yr). Someone just can't live without VB.

==

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 ... out of 3) Next Last