Submitted by GabitaSoft, posted on April 17, 2001

Image Description, by GabitaSoft

This is a screenshot of a landscape sample made with the TrueVision3D Engine It hase a realistic landscape with a detail texture, multi textures ,skybox, lens flares, water effects, a mesh with gravity and a lot more.

You can download the sample at: http://www.truevision3dsdk.com

And you can download also the engine at the site to develop your own games with special terrains/bsp/mesh/...

Regards,
TrueVision3D Support

Mike Taylor

April 17, 2001, 04:59 PM

Actually you do see lense flares all the time, the lens being your optical lens and sometimes your cornea. You just have grown too used to seeing them. That is not to say that they are as prominent as what is in this shot however, but that is a case of bending reality because reality is less interesting. Also, a lot of lense effects are generated by the environment. for example, when in fog, you should have massive glows surrounding your lights, since the fog particles will refract the light and create halos.

-Mike Taylor

p.s. Given all that, I still would turn the flare down a lot, but great pic otherwise

Revolver

April 17, 2001, 04:59 PM

Wow. You guys show such startling wit.

It's quite intimidating really...

Punchey

April 17, 2001, 05:03 PM

I just thought I'd have a laugh at the whole direction of the discussion.

Nexus

April 17, 2001, 05:12 PM

ROFL

Well, I made my terrain engine at the age of two, using LISP, three toilet rolls, 2 kg of silly-putty and lots of glue. It had real time raytracing, volumetric fog and an floury-almond taste!

Any which way though, that lens flare sucks. You should be more subtle with it if you really have to use it. It's better not to show a lens flare than a really bad one - it's a shame, because it ruins a very nice picture.

It's great that you're 15, but that's not going to impress anyone if you can't be restrained, grown up and mature about things. If other people critisise you, so what? if it's constructive, learn from it, if it's unfounded, point it out politely, and if it's just criticism, ask for something more constructive. If you react badly, it's you that looks like an idiot, not them - flaming will make anyone look like they have a mental age of 7.

Keep up the good work, but learn how to deal with critisism sometime too huh?

TechBucket

April 17, 2001, 06:02 PM

Is this Something Awful or Flipcode? You've made me very unsure...

[-WD40-]

April 17, 2001, 06:06 PM

Lens flare are nice and for all of you people complaining that when you walk outside you don't see those...well you're right! BUT, what's a computer screen? looks like a LENS to me...and if you're looking through your computer screen at a landscape then you SHOULD see a lens flare :)

Think about it...

malkia

April 17, 2001, 06:08 PM

Yep... it's kind of HEARING NOISE/SOUND/AUDIO/MUSIC in OUTER SPACE...
It's arcade...

Hiro Protagonist

April 17, 2001, 06:09 PM

sick bastards.

yes you do get lens flares with your naked eyes, especially when your eyes are scarred as mine are.

So what if he uses VB, he doesnt market this as the fastest engine on earth, so lay off.

Yes the lens flare is WAY too flamboyant, but so is DirtyPunk.

And age doesnt matter, so dont say "I am only 15" or whatever. If the average age of game programmers was 95 I could say "I am only 28" and demand less criticism? Hell no. Play with the grownups, play like the grownups.

Overall I think the image is nice and that youve put a lot of work into it, but Im not familiar with this tool you are using, so I may be wrong.

TrueVision3D Support

April 17, 2001, 06:30 PM

Hi,

Please just think this about the screenshot:
We made it to show you and that you can download it and change it to YOUR needs.
The sample is 100% opensource, also the engine is 100% opensource.
You can change in 1 second the blending value of the lensflares.

And if you say anything else about the shadows and the textures or sun position, then my answer is, ALL the textures are used from Crytek(NVIDIA partner), we just used it from their sample to show we can do the same, and the sun is on the same position because it's also painted on the skybox.

So we just made the same, same place of water, same detail texture, same under texture, same water texture, same lensflares, same skybox textures, only the blending value or the code will be diffrent.

And we have also no trees on it, but a mesh with gravity and the water stops near the terrain.

So can you do it better, then it's GOOD, then you CAN, and you MAY, we don't stop you , we just give and show what WE did.

And yeah, age makes no diffrents, but if I say I'm 15 and then someone replys that he is 5 and makes it, to make you stupid, then I think that guy is stupid.
The only thing that can mean with it is that I say, it's not like a prof like Peter from Lion Head can do.

I hope we can talk about something we COULD do and show what WE did, instead of saying BAD.

If it stays a complain reply picture, then I just let delete it, noone can do something with some bad text.

Regards,
Sigurd

NegativePing

April 17, 2001, 06:50 PM

Well it seems its Engines Vs Engines now! Has anybody forgot that makings engines is part of making a game? Not just Super bumpmapped lens flare perfect shadows with 10 to the billionth polys. I must say wow for making anything of this scale in VB. Last time I tried to mess with five images in DD with VB I gave up. VC++ is the way to go with large projects(I think anyhow). Well anyhow good work.

Buster

April 17, 2001, 06:57 PM

Ummm no

Buster

April 17, 2001, 06:58 PM

I bought my landscape engine. So there.

Mark Friedenbach

April 17, 2001, 07:01 PM

As far as I have seen, the goal is to make your software as realistic as possible?

Nope. At least not any I've ever worked on. Where did you get that idea?

Mark Friedenbach

April 17, 2001, 07:06 PM

Ummm yes

goltrpoat

April 17, 2001, 07:31 PM

I personally am still unsure what "mesh gravity" is supposed to mean. Calculating the acceleration from the forces, including gravity, augmented by friction as a function of the terrain, times mass? Distorting mesh geometry due to gravity shear? Using a gravity model for terraforming? Or what?

goltrpoat

goltrpoat

April 17, 2001, 07:33 PM

Dropping meshes on the terrain using gravity? :)

goltrpoat

Moby Disk

April 17, 2001, 09:23 PM

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe

Moby Disk

April 17, 2001, 09:26 PM

I looked at your pic, and my first thought was: "Dang, nice mesh gravity!" It was obvious from my first look it was a great use of it.

Warren Marshall

April 17, 2001, 09:27 PM

"Has anybody forgot that makings engines is part of making a game? Not just Super bumpmapped lens flare perfect shadows with 10 to the billionth polys."

Maybe. But if your goal is to simply learn about 3D coding and the engine is just a vehicle for you to gain knowledge then it may very well be just about super bump mapped lens flare perfect shadows with 10 to the billionth polys.

Joseph Carmer

April 17, 2001, 09:47 PM

Well, I think it looks good.

IOHazard

April 17, 2001, 09:57 PM

I read the short story (Larry Niven?) which was very cool. The episode was cool too. Too bad they've started mixing in crummy stories with the good ones for the last few years.
-MAj

all your acid are belong to us

_Mike_

April 17, 2001, 10:52 PM

That's a beautiful screenshot, IMHO. The only thing that I'd recommend at least trying--to see if it looks good--would be adding a slight fog to the background. It shouldn't be to hide anything... and maybe it's not a foggy day, but things still tend to look more blurry, right? Anyway, that's a poor justification, but I think it would look cool, and is at least worth a try.

As for a few other posts, I don't know what the poster was thinking. The posts where the posters blatently insult the programmers for no good reason is terrible. Could you not mention something in a better way, or do you yourself like it when people attempt to mock you personally (without knowing him, I might add), for no other reason than you dislike the blending value on the lens-flare? That's disgusting. So is the post by Kinder Supporter which mentions something about sexual abuse among kindergarten students. That's absolutely terrible, and is NOT funny. We do not need this kind of filth here on Flipcode.

Anyway, no need to get worked up about it... great pic, and I'd like to see the C/C++ version... Good luck!

p.s. Maybe you said it above, but are you (not a different company) planning on making a full game with this engine?

Anyway, have fun everybody...

Hemp

April 17, 2001, 11:11 PM

One word:

Terragen!

Hemp

April 17, 2001, 11:16 PM

I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just I can recognize those
skys anywhere. :)

Jason Wood

April 17, 2001, 11:31 PM

Nice pic. And if the guys posting this IOTD really are only 15'ish, then they are light-years ahead of most ppl at that age. Thanks in part, of course, to fantastic on-line resources such as this one; which is why I must concur with the likes of Mike and anyone else with a modicum of self-control and/or respect for other people's efforts and state bluntly that such humor as manifested in some of the above responses is anathema to the spirit of Flipcode and other sites of this ilk.

Lion V

April 17, 2001, 11:44 PM

eh what !?
I have little circles that move around when I look at a light ?!
No go, Joe.
What I do have is a spiky halo around lights often.
When in fog, soft halos are appropiate, yes.
But PLEASE dont tell me I have the standard 4d-engine lens-flare hanging around each lightI look at/
This aint personal or anything, no offence meant.
~V'lion

Mike Taylor

April 18, 2001, 12:26 AM

Off topic, you wouldn't happen to be a college student at OU would you Joseph?

-Mike Taylor

Jukka Liimatta

April 18, 2001, 01:42 AM

Atleast the CPU power and 3D cards are years ahead of what they were, when I was 15! Back then 160x120 4color display was state-of-the-art, and the CPU had mindboggling 1Mhz operating frequency, no hardware multiplicaton or division, etc...

My 3D engine back then was wireframe, blah, I sucked.

JavaTank

April 18, 2001, 01:42 AM

Weeeeeeeeeeeeell, I dunno. It seemed to me he was maybe bragging about being so young, in which case he set himself up for a little good-natured ribbing.

Some of the posters may have gone a bit too far, but I don't see anything wrong with the intent.

Anyway, that is a very pretty screenshot, and certainly something to be proud of, especially at such a young age.

luther2k

April 18, 2001, 02:20 AM

Aye, when I were a lad, we used to dream of hardware accelerated texture mapping with multipass texturing and trilinear filtering. Scrimping and saving, just to get a few extra clock cycles out'o standard vga adapters and messing about with the unholy mess that was mode unchained mode X, drawing yer 8bit gouraud shaded polygons on a 30 mhz PC vertically just so you didn't 'ave to change the write mask register too much. You'd 'ave affine texturing, if you were luckeh!
Aye, kids these days don't know they're born...

Seriously though, nothing wrong with progress. Nice shots btw, are you using any sort of distance culling there?

Tim.

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 ... out of 3) Next Last