Submitted by GabitaSoft, posted on April 17, 2001

Image Description, by GabitaSoft

This is a screenshot of a landscape sample made with the TrueVision3D Engine It hase a realistic landscape with a detail texture, multi textures ,skybox, lens flares, water effects, a mesh with gravity and a lot more.

You can download the sample at: http://www.truevision3dsdk.com

And you can download also the engine at the site to develop your own games with special terrains/bsp/mesh/...

Regards,
TrueVision3D Support

David Olsson

April 17, 2001, 11:56 AM

Mesh with gravity, can you explain what you mean by that ?

L.e.Denninger

April 17, 2001, 12:02 PM

Looks cool, but I really dislike the lensflare :)

People always show the lensflare *way* to obvious in my opinion; it would have been great (afa lensflares can be ;)) if it had been alpha-blended / added at maybe only 15 - 20% of it's current appearance.

Blaze

April 17, 2001, 12:22 PM

Looks good, but maybe the detail texture is too big, it makes the entire landscape look very small and that makes the lakes look funny.

And i believe the lensflare is supposed to point towards the lens/image center. How do you calculate where the lens flare is pointing now?

TrueVIsion3D Support

April 17, 2001, 12:41 PM

Hi,

The lensflares position is calculated with the sun and camera position.
The detail map is also easy to change, just download the sample and the engine and just change the numbers.

The mesh gravity is gravity like in quake and unreal, the gravity on the terrain is just the height position of the terrain, the mesh gravity is only enabled on the mesh place.

(This is a screenshot from a 3d engine sample, so you can download it and change it to make cool other screenshots or games ;))

For support or any help you can post your questions in the TrueVision3D forum.

the site is at: http://www.TrueVision3DSDK.com

Regards,
Sigurd

TrueVision3D Developer

Buster

April 17, 2001, 01:18 PM

Dude your sun has gone Nova!!

RUN FOR THE SHELTERS!!

Punchey

April 17, 2001, 01:41 PM

It looks like the shadows on the terrain aren't consistent with the location of the sun. Or perhaps the sun HAS gone nova and the sun-looking thing we see in the screenshot is just the moon! I seem to remember a really cool Outer Limits episode about the moon being really bright due to a nova. Anyway, it's really pretty despite few minor nitpicks.

PS: I still don't understand what you mean by mesh gravity. Please explain further. Thanks!

D.P.

April 17, 2001, 01:57 PM

I remember that episode.

D.P.

April 17, 2001, 02:02 PM

Looks good, like all the other landscape engines. I think there should be a seperate IOTD specialy for landscape engines (LEIOTD).
The disease of making a landscape engine must be vary contagous, everyone seems to be catching it- even I have it. It has effected every corner of the globe in many countries and nearly every continent. I think it must be a new bio-computer cross virus that is spread through the internet. Yoy probably catch it from staring at IOTD pics. I'm going to see my doctor...

ZEN

April 17, 2001, 02:17 PM

wow, a password on your download page, then then i go to actually fill it out and your samples are VB? no binaries, whats up with that? anyways, your shot looks good, keep up the good work, and get some binaries that people can look at, who wants to load up VB to look a demo, yuk.

ZEN

kewldude

April 17, 2001, 02:45 PM

Why did you pick vb for this? Isn't it still slow as hell and i guess the syntax hasn't changed at all.

BTW i cant seem so say anything nice about it, i think all the landscape engines have hardened me somehow.

What are all those random black spots on the terrain?

TrueVision3D Support

April 17, 2001, 02:46 PM

Hi,

The shadows from the landscape are right, because the sun position is the same the crytek and also the same shadow map.

And yes, it's visual basic the WHOLE engine is writen in Visual Basic and it's a very good engine with mirror on water and other effects.

There will come soona TrueVision3D C++ engine, it's at this moment under construction with other companies like 360 degrees.

And the VB engine is the best way to start with DX Game programming because you know then HOW to work with DX, before you start with DX in c++.
So everyone can download our code and learn from it.

And the engine is also very easy to use, that's why we have thousends of users.

Do you want other shots ?
Look at:

Regards,
Sigurd

Een Vlaamse TrueVision3D Developer ;)
A dutch TV3D Developer

Mattman

April 17, 2001, 03:11 PM

VB ROCKS!!!! :-D

omaha_os3

April 17, 2001, 03:16 PM

This is not a remark on your particular engine, but rather a large majority of the engines currently being used.

Okay, lens flares.... think about that phrase. A lens flare as I know it is the term for the visual artifact due to the refraction of light through A LENS. That's right, a LENS. Okay, so now that we have that part out of the way, let me ask you a simple question:

What is the main goal of the majority of 3d engines/programs/games/whatever today?

As far as I have seen, the goal is to make your software as realistic as possible? Correct?

Okay, therefore, are we assuming that most people run around there whole lives with cameras strapped to their foreheads? Are "normal" (sorry all you guys and girls with glasses and contacts and the like, I'm gonna have to label you abnormal for the sake of arguement) people looking through lenses all of the time?? I have never noticed a 'lens flare' while walking around during the day, but maybe i've just got weird eyes or something. So my only conclusion is that people are actually spending valuable processor time and fillrate making their games less realistic.

Now don't get me wrong, I do think that these lens flares can be pretty, but that's not my point. If we were making 3d movies I would say by all means create lens flares, as they are supposed to be there. But, if we are not, if we are making games, if we are assuming that the characters in our games do not have cameras strapped to their foreheads while they run around shooting each other up and casting their spells, then let's just all forget we ever heard of this pretty little effect called a lens flare.

Oh yeah, btw. Nice shot. Looks pretty cool, I have no experience with detail textures as of yet, but I look forward to seeing just how they work sometime soon.

malkia

April 17, 2001, 03:33 PM

Aren't LENS-FLARES effects of the CAMERA? Because of the how it's called (objective?) - you know - can't find the correct word for it.. but...

Because i think putting LENS FLARES is cool - but this makes as people not be in FIRST PERSON VIEW, but FIRST PERSON CAMERA OPERATOR VIEW - don't you think?

Darshan Patil

April 17, 2001, 03:35 PM

All I can say is that this looks surreal.........

>And the VB engine is the best way to start with DX Game programming >because you know then HOW to work with DX, before you start with DX >in c++.
>So everyone can download our code and learn from it.

Thats the most outrageous thing I've heard.

malkia

April 17, 2001, 03:35 PM

sorry for the last post - i didn't read post before my one - it seems that DEJA VU happened.

What i want to say is that I totally agree with OMAHA_OS3 - LENS FLARES are useless, unless you want to represent a view from a normal shooting camera.

malkia

April 17, 2001, 03:37 PM

About this CROWD rendering in

I think it's looking ugly - You can't just make a shot from above and get the thing working... Really...

malkia

April 17, 2001, 03:40 PM

I like that one, remembers me of CODE EAGLE, a game published by TalonSoft

Punchey

April 17, 2001, 03:46 PM

It was a good one no? Too bad that guy couldn't remember to stay away from the window!

TrueVision3D Support

April 17, 2001, 03:57 PM

Hi,

The lensflares is just added to show what the engine can, else we need to make a sample for every sepperated part, so I find it makes no mather if it's mixed or if it hase not a good blending value, but it's to the users to find the good blending value for their game.

And DX in vb to leurn is good, because if you know NOTHING from dx also not from VERTEXES and how it works, then it's better to leurn it in a easy language, then directly in c++.

And that field, the developer of that is David Winter he is a game developer and he hase already a game in the shops ;), so I think you made a mistake.

And the VB engine is actually a prototype of the TV3D++ engine and YES there are company's (not small companies) waiting for that engine.

And I'm just 15 and Sylvain is 16, and we made the engine and we're also developing the TV3D++ engine and Scott and Chris are helping, Scott is the boss of 360 Degrees software (Look at www.walrusweb.com).
And don't forget to look at that (demo)movie.

And is it not good for 15 and 16 age programmers to make this ?
I think so.

The TV3D++ engine is in very fast developing so you can find it soon on our site and later in the newest product of 360 degrees.
(yeah, because Scott is a great programmer, so it will be very good ;), he is ofcourse older then us)

Regards,
Sigurd

ector

April 17, 2001, 04:11 PM

Well I have to say I haven't regretted for a minute my switch 2 years ago from VB to C++. C++ is MUCH EASIER for the most part, when developing games.
Just for the record, I'm 17, and my landscape engine done in C++ with DX8 looks much better than yours, except for the sky (I don't have one) :)

just my 2 cents

ector

TrueVision3D Support

April 17, 2001, 04:26 PM

Looks this better?

wow huge ugly blocks, no water effect, humm.

And your other projects are als not amazing.

But saying that yours is better is easy, but then you need to expect that I will look also to you site, thanks for the great comment.

And well, I'm also a c++ coder, and I'm 15 and I can c++ (now, not starting), so you don't need to tell how it is.

Regards,
Sigurd

Ready4Dis

April 17, 2001, 04:37 PM

Well, first I'd like to make a statment pertaining to some other posts about lens flares. Yes, us "normal" people look through lenses every day of our lives, it's called your eye. If you look into a light at night.. do you not see a lens flare? Even if you're not wearing glasses, or contact lenses, you're eye is still a lens that captures and redirects light into your head. I do admit that this particular lens flare is way to intense, but they are real, and you don't have to have a camera strapped to your head to see one. Anyways, good picture, and keep up the hard work.

goltrpoat

April 17, 2001, 04:39 PM

Just for the record, I'm 6 and a half, and my outdoors engine looks much better than Halo's oh and I'll be 7 in six months and I'm going to get a pony for my birthday and I really like VB because it's cool, and last night I got to stay up till 10, almost 11, to watch the Halo trailer because it just came out and I think I'm much better than John Romero because I have read of all Abrash's books and I'm going to get a pony for my birthday.

*snicker*

goltrpoat

Punchey

April 17, 2001, 04:40 PM

Oh yeah? I'm only 8 years old and just finished the beta for my latest game in about 2 hours. Check it out at:
www.unreal2.com

For the record, I learned to read while in the womb, got my first doctorate at the age of 4, formulated the basis behind heterotic M-theory at 6 and I still have to wear diapers and use rubber sheets.

Take that!

:-)

mice

April 17, 2001, 04:42 PM

And you're assuming every game/landscape engine is for a "first person" game...not everybody wants to run around looking through our own eyes.
I, for one, is not trying to get anything as "real" as possible, that's for the simulator guys to fiddle with, me thinks.

Tired of all boring FPS:es,
((mice

ps
I'm bored of lens flares as well...

TrueVision3D Support

April 17, 2001, 04:46 PM

LOL,

Great, Only I'm really 15 and I started when I was 7 with programming in basic.
And I know really VB/C++ and for web ASP PHP HTML ...

Regards,
Sigurd

Punchey

April 17, 2001, 04:46 PM

Well, while I might see a halo around a bright light at night (say that 5 times fast), I absolutely do NOT see a lense-type flare with my naked eyes. For example, if I see a bright light to the upper-right of my field of vision, I do not see a "flary" thing to the lower left as you would in a camera lense. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, aren't the multiple lense flares you see in a typical camera are due to the presence of multiple lenses? Maybe one of the two of us has very weird eyes, but I DO NOT see any set of "lense flares" in my eyes naturally. Not the kind exhibited in this IOTD or in many games on the market. I DO see a halo of light around bright lights at night as I think everyone does. But that's different.

goltrpoat

April 17, 2001, 04:50 PM

Well.. that's a tad arguable. Lens flares in games are generally modelled after video or photo camera lens, at least visually. And there's a huge difference in the optical and physical properties of a 2mm diameter concave lens in the eye, and a camera lens. In short, you can see what could be considered lens flares with a naked eye, but they don't look anything like that.

On the other hand, you're not looking at a game environment directly, you're looking at it through the monitor, which is a similar feeling as looking at something on TV, and TV feed is generally captured with a camera, which is susceptible to the lens flare we've come to know and love. So who cares.

goltrpoat

malkia

April 17, 2001, 04:58 PM

I'm 93, and i've started coding when I was 97, as soon as I get to 6 or 7 years old, you can expect the same engine results from me.

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 ... out of 3) Next Last