Submitted by Pet, posted on April 14, 2001

Image Description, by Pet

This are some screenshots of one game I'm working on now called SkyGuard (don't laugh :) ). It's nothing fancy about my 3D Engine... I'm just tring to make a game (or more...:) ). It supports now loading 3D Worlds from 3ds files, camera animations and some primitive objects animations. After many attemts to use octrees, portals I decided that not to use it at all. Some culling is made only on large objects, objects with many triangles... It supports now only static light maps and animated textured ( offcourse vertex light is supported ).

You can check this out on my site: http://www.geocities.com/green_balls_ro/index.html, but I warn you that it is under construction.

PsyVision

April 14, 2001, 02:54 PM

Nice to see someone working on a game as opposed to a "My Engines Bigger Than Your's Match". Though i do have to say it looks quite good but maybe octrees would give you a perhaps better speed.

What culling are you performing ? (Frustrum, Backface)

MC BAXTON *UNCENSORED*

April 14, 2001, 03:00 PM

3d balls.. of course that's better than 2d.
I have an impression that I see at least three different games in those screenshots
Anyway, it's nice work. Keep improving it !

D.P.

April 14, 2001, 03:44 PM

The screen shots look good, how fast is it if you don't do much culling?

Vorteks

April 14, 2001, 08:43 PM

Nice. Is your game a shoot-em-up? It's interesting that you say you made "many attempts" to use octrees and portals. What problems did you run into?

Myrmecophagavir

April 15, 2001, 10:38 AM

Looks cool, love the loading screen in the top right. Isn't that spaceship from a 3DS MAX tutorial? ;) Nice work

Kanda

April 15, 2001, 12:39 PM

Look nice...any hope to get a demo ?

What about Fps ?

DirtyPunk

April 16, 2001, 02:37 AM

Looks good to me - And you seem to be on the way to a goal (which is good, because it means you have something to work towards:)

For some reason it seems to remind me of the old Anime series Robotech (the name + the shots).

Lucid

April 16, 2001, 02:43 AM

ahh... robotech....

I have no direct knowledge(too young), but I've seen a few replayed episodes... that musta been the best show...

Machin Shin

April 16, 2001, 03:16 AM

which one? the real one that japan had, or the monstrosity
that was hoisted on us here in the USA ? (which, btw was acutally 3 seperate shows in japan that carl macek kind of mushed togther..
don't get me wrong,they were pretty cool shows.. but mushing them together could get f**ked up.. the three separate parts didn't really seem to connect.. (which i didn't realize when i watched it as i was growing up,but in retrospect that's obvious ..
but then that's true of a lot of shows i watched a kid..
i mean voltron & thundercats seemed cool back then..but if you
see eps of them now, the dialogue just seems horribly painful ..

--vat
"live highlander, grow stronger, fight another day"--methos

Pet

April 17, 2001, 02:19 AM

Well, after looking at the FPS I decided to only use backface culling and frustrum culling. It runs on my RIVA TNT2 M64 and Matrox G200 on about 20-40 FPS, so I don't need to bother with this part any more....I think...;)
The type of the game is like NFS but only with spaceships.