Submitted by Jacco Bikker, posted on April 02, 2001

Image Description, by Jacco Bikker

Here we have a shot of a wacky bunch of Flipcoders posing in the Davilex building after the second IGDA meeting in Holland. The meeting was a great success; we had around 60 Dutch game coders attending two highly interesting presentations. Anyway, about the picture, from left to right we have: XjaapX, Phantom, Willem and Bram. All in the right outfit for the occasion, of course. I'm sorry about the model and the texture for Jaap; somebody did a lousy job there. I masked the worst part a bit.

Anyway, greets to all game coders around the globe, especially the Flipcoders and of course the Dutch game scene.

Jaap Suter

April 02, 2001, 01:26 PM

You people should have seen the model and texture of Jacco. It was so incredibly ugly, we decided not to include it at all.

Grz,

Jaap Suter

Khrob

April 02, 2001, 01:33 PM

The models/textures arent your fault...

I'm just curious as to how you do your memory management - they're fairly high density models... is this 'Holland' some new form of elaborate cacheing scheme?

Samy

April 02, 2001, 01:40 PM

Hello All
Very nice !!!
Shadow, Blending, Alpha colour, Texture, Number of polygone and so on, no thning to tell !!!

Friendly

Samy

Babar Zafar

April 02, 2001, 01:41 PM

My god what an engine!!!!

When will you start to license it? You'll need to do something about the clipping, people won't like black boxes floating around on the scenes.

Btw, I love the cloth simulation - and the facial animation rocks...

But you need to do something about the in-game characters - they seem a bit too funny....you don't want the players laughing their ass of when they're playing the ultimate horror game 'Day of the dutch coders'.

Hmm, is it me or does Jaap give the Phantom as nice ass-spanking, that facial expression look everything but pleasent to me...

Think happy thoughts,
Babz

Pants

April 02, 2001, 01:42 PM

That sucks.

Look at the *so called* reflections in the wall behind them. RUBBISH!
And look at those big black floating quads. Your occulsion system is really messed up. Scrap it and try again!

I could make a much better photograph!

haha.

Pete

Alexander Blach

April 02, 2001, 01:43 PM

LOL - really nice pic.

Are all of these original t-shirts from Kurt? If yes, I'm impressed...

Now that I see that you are not super models I can relax :-)

Phantom

April 02, 2001, 02:12 PM

Those are indeed all official T-shirts that we
got by mail. :) I have no idea who sent them;
I guess it was Kurt. ;) Anyway, we couldn't
resist sending in an IOTD. I've never seen that
many t-shirts together. (and yes, that's a
challenge:)

=[Scarab]=

April 02, 2001, 02:13 PM

Hey! Don't mess with the Netherlands. ;)
We used to own New York (Nieuw Amsterdam) you know. :P

richard

April 02, 2001, 02:36 PM

Yeah, Holland ROCKS!! :P

- the other Dutch Richard ;)

Punchey

April 02, 2001, 02:37 PM

I'm surrounded by idiots!
I can make a MUCH better lounging around dutch coder simulator than this!

It looks like you have some SERIOUS Z-buffer issues in the bottom three shots. Try upping the precision to 32-bit.

I realize many people complain about the dark textures used in the Quake games, but reall, you need to darken three out of the four character textures in a SERIOUS way.

Jason Kozak

April 02, 2001, 03:06 PM

all I can say is, wow!

will you be releasing it open source?

Megahertz

April 02, 2001, 03:26 PM

Hmmmm, Why does the image look so dark? I can barely make out their eyeballs =P

-=[ Megahertz ]=-

Bramz

April 02, 2001, 03:44 PM

The reason why some of the characters have black boxes, is because they suffered MKZ, also know as "mond- en klauwzeer". In English this should be something like "mouth- and claw-pain". Ach, but I see only one with a covered mouth! Yes, but a new variant of the disease seems to affect the eyes too ... One thinks that this disease is the next phase in what's called RSN, "repetitive saving neurosis". So, everybody watch out!

Anyway, salut everybody, especially the Flemish and Dutch coders (but in particular the Flemish ones ;] Wien is ter ier eihenlijk va Vloanderen?)

Enne XjaapX, Phantom and Willem: CU next time, 't was "bčre"!

Bram the Bramz

Buster

April 02, 2001, 04:17 PM

Dude it was way to dark on my machine!

MORE LIGHTING!!

Hemp

April 02, 2001, 05:02 PM

Interesting...

Somebody wrote "All Your Base Are Belong To Us" in the lower right-hand corner.

malkia

April 02, 2001, 05:03 PM

Are those the four musketeers? :))

zed zeek

April 02, 2001, 05:20 PM

no shadows (though this could be due to the dutch weather) the thing is a lot of real things are to boring to look at, eg whens the last time you saw a body of water that acts like a mirror, the last time clouds zipped along at a thousand klicks per hour in the sky, your last lensflare.

1c4i4

April 02, 2001, 05:59 PM

love the pixel shading ...

for dutch people:
jaja, nog een vlaming op flipcode... maar dan wel iemand van de kanten van leuven ...

take care,

jurgen

L.e.Denninger

April 02, 2001, 06:57 PM

Willem - je moeder heeft een baard ;)

Revolver

April 02, 2001, 07:06 PM

Sigh. All the picture-is-a-sucky-3d-engine deadpans are getting weary.

In any event, love the shirts, but you guys really need a tan. :-)

STZ

April 02, 2001, 08:27 PM

Some comments:
models looking quite natural, although very similar to each other.
I suspect there used raytracing, just wonder does it took 20 yr's to
generate those models
----
I think you could make tehir skin more detailed, cuz I see only boring texture appplied.
And colour the WORLD, plz
Add some more colors, cuz your models looks boring

Timothy Barnes

April 02, 2001, 09:02 PM

>_< !

By any chance do you have a demo?

Khrob

April 02, 2001, 09:19 PM

Next thing you'll be telling me that Istanbul was Constantinople...

Tim Wojtaszek

April 02, 2001, 09:19 PM

I've heard of television adding 10 pounds, but I never saw an engine that made the people look so < fill in words here >

Khrob

April 02, 2001, 09:26 PM

I dont know what all you guys are on about.

This is an open-source engine - and it's so simple, my mother can use it. Hell, my whole family can use it.

Although, my grandfather had some troubles with an earlier version. The doctors said he was colourblind, but I think his video card didn't have enough bpp...

DragonWorx

April 02, 2001, 09:55 PM

Will this be available on the Macs? Is this a *PC* only thing? Are the black boxes because of Microsoft? If i pay some fee, do i unlock them?

BTW, if you look very closely at the watch in the top center image, you can see that there are no hands on it. Is this because the LOD is badly implemented? Or did you leave the hands out because of a deadline? Where can i download some watch hand models? Does anyone have any papers on creating *TWO* stretched cubes in 3D space? I just can't rest easy now...

Kick ass...

DirtyPunk

April 02, 2001, 11:48 PM

I've seen the Khrob model myself. I think he's worried about competition.

Lion V

April 03, 2001, 03:05 AM

Hm.
I think the modeler need to work bit. more. I mean, these are basiacally the SAME model !
If we look at Quake 3 or UT theres all kinds of models.
This is just like what, 3 models and bad texuring.
And the gammas turned up too high.
Pah !
NEway, greets to the Dutch !
~V'lion

Willem

April 03, 2001, 03:15 AM

Your beard has a mother, man! :)

Willem

April 03, 2001, 03:18 AM

Hmmm, I look like an idiot.