Submitted by Hikey, posted on March 30, 2001

Image Description, by Hikey

Hi, these screenshots are from my final year project (B.Sc Comp Science). Features include animated user interface, 3ds model loading, model hierarchical structure, flat/smooth shading model display, model skeleton editor, object picking, model position editor, forward kinematics, ... The project is organised in a library and a demo program. the library handles the model loading, data structures (objects, vertices, normals, camera, etc...), animation functions, ...

The demo program simply displays the model with a fairly nice interface for file browsing, object picking, and so on. It includes a skeleton editor which is not part of the 3ds file but in an own format.

Full source code, binaries and project report available at http://humi.hikey.org

Lionel LEMARIE aka Hikey

Jare

March 30, 2001, 03:33 PM

Nice job! Plus, we don't get enough tool IOTDs.

Vorteks

March 30, 2001, 04:42 PM

Now that just looks plain sweet.

fiftyfly

March 30, 2001, 05:29 PM

Have to agree about the tool IOTD - it's easy to forget just how important they are. The sweetest engine & the juiciest art won't make it into a game without the tools support.

GL
Mike

MichaelPJones

March 30, 2001, 05:56 PM

The skelington looks a lot of fun... Are different joint types supported, or are all of the joints universal?
Also, on the topic of 3DS and joints- Has anybody figured out the keyframer chunk of the *.3DS file format? There is no official documentation on it, and the source I have been using for my information is sketchy in this area.

Michael.

malkia

March 30, 2001, 06:31 PM

Nice touch... Cool GUI....
very good job

fluffy

March 30, 2001, 09:13 PM

That's not traditionally what's meant by 'skeletal animation', but I think we'll let it slide. ;)

=[Scarab]=

March 31, 2001, 02:54 AM

Actually, it seems like a skeleton-animated skeleton. :)

QRock

March 31, 2001, 05:12 AM

Looks much more interesting than my BSc thesis, which was on TCP/IP. Hours in the unix lab I'm afraid :)

Tell me did you leave the coding until the last month like all the people on my year?

Heres a trick I used, I recommend it. You know how you have to include all kinds of crap in your report, well go to the library hire out 10 books in the round about required subject area. Take them home OCR scan them into your document. Now I would recommend tarting up the scanned documents and checking for OCR errors. I wouldn't try to pass this off as your own work, as they frown upon this, but simple use the material as source reference material. Include a reference to the author, and ta dar a 350 page report will be yours. It's not like they read it anyhow! :)

See ya Good Luck!

Manuel Astudillo

March 31, 2001, 06:05 AM

Qrock:

yeah right. that was a _very_ good recomendation.

bah!!

Sarwaz.

Hikey

March 31, 2001, 07:09 AM

I think I'm gonna make a plugin for WinAmp in my free time. It will be a "marionnette". The head will be attached to the bass dectection and the rest of the body will follow as it can, dandling about.

I didn't leave the code to the last month as i found this project interresting, unfortunatly i knew nothing about opengl and skeletal animation and had no resources at all in the beginning so it is not so good yet, but now that i had this first experience i'm going to do it all over again, in the right way (different types of joints, improved interface, more portable, shared library-based).

The skeleton is only an example, provided in the binaries are an Ant, a Lego-guy, and a bee.

Darshan Patil

March 31, 2001, 02:13 PM

just 2 funky

Keep it up !

Seisouso

March 31, 2001, 03:00 PM

Lookin' nice... I wish we had to do a Thesis for our BSc... I've got tons of interesting ideas.
Just one comment: did you ever look at doing IK instead of forward kinematics? Or even as an alternative?
I'm just curious because I'm reading an excellent MSc thesis on IK and was just wondering what people who
delve into figure animation thought about the pros and cons of each technique...

Fabian Giesen

March 31, 2001, 04:10 PM

Looks sweet! Are those joints tied to the model or you can add own ones in the editor? (Just curious)

fluffy

March 31, 2001, 11:23 PM

Looks hierarchal to me, rather than skeletal. It doesn't make much sense to skeletally-animate a skeleton since then you'd have deformation and stuff, when all the parts in a skeleton are quite distinct. i.e. skeletal animation is horrible for skeletons. Ironically enough. :)

Hikey

April 01, 2001, 06:11 AM

Yes it is hierarchical animation, I called it 'skeletal' not because of the model but because of the joints-bones used to animate it. no deformation is involved in the animation.
I thought of doing IK but no time to do it before the deadline (which was 27 march) but i'm working on it right now.
The joints are stored in a second file dependant on the model and the editor allows the user to add/remove/move joints.