Submitted by Rob Pasquini, posted on March 07, 2001

Image Description, by Rob Pasquini

This is a screenshot from a game that I helped develop at my school. It may not be a beautiful terrian engine, but it is a pretty fun game. :] It's a top-down shooter where players battle in enclosed arenas. Gathering weapons and shooting your enemies up what it's all about. Good clean fun.

The game itself took about four months to develop. We had a solid process of game design documentation to technical documentation before we started coding. The game features a rhobust 2D engine, and some challenging computer controlled opponents to battle against. The game is also multiplayer over a LAN, but does not perform well over the internet unfortunately.

If you'd like to check out the game it's about 22MB, but well worth it.
There is currently no instruction manual to download but hopefully soon there will be.

On a side note; we had no real artists working with us to develop the game, so it is not as graphically impressive as we'd like it to be. It's all about gameplay. ;] Have fun!

D.P.

March 07, 2001, 03:41 PM

wow, you finished a project, I am impresed. It looks good to...

Vorteks

March 07, 2001, 03:52 PM

Sweet. That looks a lot like a game i [almost] developed, only mine had a sort of 2.5d isometric view. Kinda reminds me of a Tyrian deathmatch! It looks interesting and it's very cool that you finished a game. I'm going to make it a point to download this when I get home.

Vorteks

March 07, 2001, 03:55 PM

Oh, also I notice that your school is DigiPen. How do you like it?

hebertjo

March 07, 2001, 03:59 PM

Are you planning on releasing the source code? I'm downloading it now so excuse the question if it is included in the download.

Anthracks

March 07, 2001, 04:11 PM

Reminds me of the game Subspace...did you ever play that? It ruled ;). Great job on the project though, all that carnage looks like fun. I'm also interested in how you like DigiPen...I don't really intend to go there, but I am curious as to how well you think it's prepared you for "the real world".

Anthracks

Morlith

March 07, 2001, 04:39 PM

Cool, it's really nice to see a complete game here, especially if it's 2D :)
One question I may ask: what kinda school is DigiPen and where is it?

Kanda

March 07, 2001, 04:46 PM

Nice Work !! Looks like the good old Alien Breed serie on funny Amiga computers ;o)))

Fabian Giesen

March 07, 2001, 05:01 PM

Looks cool! :)

I think I'll download and test it...

TThirion

March 07, 2001, 05:28 PM

Digipen is a university solely devoted to the purpose of creating video games. If you go to their website you can have a book of course descriptions sent to you. I considered applying there, but I think a good ol' Computer Science degree from Purdue would be more likely to find me a decent entry-level position. Game looks good; if I had more bandwidth I would get it.

a_j_harvey

March 07, 2001, 05:45 PM

Hey, its great. Sort of robot-diablo.

Ezra

March 07, 2001, 05:51 PM

Great game! I can see how this is going to win the Independent Games Festival this year!

As Mr. Pasquini said, it's all about gameplay, but I definitely like the fact that the game is tailored to every piece of hardware out there. I think it's pretty impressive that your engine handles windowed mode and all that through real-time stretching and filtering. The DirectX 3 stuff is also pretty impressive - I haven't seen anything in DirectX 3 with so many features. That Swaththeta engine seems pretty wicked. I especially like that console.

Anyway, about gameplay... Your AI is awesome. Mind sharing some of the ideas behind it? Is it genetic, fuzzy, completely state based? It kicks my butt on hard. I love the weapons you have, though I don't think I got to use them all. The secondary functions add a lot to each. I like the whole 'shoot through some walls only one direction' bit; very reminiscient of Arc.

All in all, I look forward to seeing this at the GDC. Good luck in the IGF, I really do think you have a winner here!

Ezra

STZ

March 07, 2001, 05:56 PM

Of course, we need something in 2D. And since it's kinda dark, it remembers me good old ... ehhh .. movie.

Saad Faisal

March 07, 2001, 06:51 PM

I think you are trying to really over react here. Believe me this is one beautiful shot and the artwork is realy good, i must say. Keep up the good work. I think everybody is going to agree, Gameplay is more important than a beautiful terrain engine. It's not what you do it is how you do it... remeber.

[-WD40-]

March 07, 2001, 07:30 PM

No, graphics are the only things that matter.

Come on! Who's gonna say that anyway? Everyone knows that gameplay is a big factor of success when it comes to video games... please stop saying the same thing over and over again

btw your game looks good, reminds me of an old game I can't quite remember ;P

have fun coding

Warren Marshall

March 07, 2001, 08:49 PM

I agree 100%. I really wish people would stop stating the obvious like it was some great revelation. Like we're all going to read it, smack our foreheads and exclaim, "Of course! The gameplay! Genius!!"

Avulsion

March 07, 2001, 09:04 PM

Rob, that's great! I bet you had fun making it huh? Congratulations, savour the time spent working on that... it'll be an experience that you will look back on for a long time. There's little pressure or deadlines =) Great work, it looks fun!

Lachie Mouat
Eschaton Entertainment

Vorteks

March 08, 2001, 12:12 AM

Ok, I download this and it's definately a keeper. I burned it to CD-R on my permanent archives. I had a lot of fun playing this! I also am really bad at it, because in a pratice match against the computer at normal difficulty, the computer won by about 20 to 3. A few observations:

The controls seem kind of awkward, why A/W/S/D instead os Up/Down/Left/Right?

You're selling yourself short on your artwork. Admittedly the arena tiles do look flat, but the 'bots themselves look very well done.

It seems like there might be a bug when picking up weapons, sometimes the ammo meter appears in the weapon slot, but I don't actually get the weapon (no icon, can't switch to it). Also, sometimes I go to pick up a weapon and I get a completely different weapon in my inventory. Is this a known bug?

Rob Pasquini

March 08, 2001, 01:11 AM

Cool, thanks for all the feedback... very interesting.
DigiPen is a good school and it is getting better (being refined and such). I defintely think it prepares you for the "real world" well. You have to be pretty dedicated to tough out four years at this place.

Aaa... sorry the AI is a little hard. :] On easy they'll stand still a bit for ya. You can customize your controls in the pre-game menu, so if you don't like the two default settings you can change em. I'm pretty sure that isn't a bug... if you pick up ammo for the weapon before you have it you'll still recieve it. Then when you pick up a weapon, the icon will light up. I'm trying to get the manual for the game up there. Some of the weapons need some explaning to use, like the third weapon from the bottom ;] If anyone has any questions feel free to email me at rpasuin@digipen.edu.

EvilOne

March 08, 2001, 04:32 AM

I always liked 2D Shooters. Nice work dude!

You people remember games like Xennon2 or X-Out? The best thing with them is, that they have a simple game concept (Shoot'em up) and are highly playable (most modern games are to much bloated), and btw, they are much much fun...

Tiny

March 08, 2001, 06:37 PM

This game is insane! I have no clue how you could ever beat the enemy, even in normal I got spanked. Anyhow, it is an excellent game, good luck Rob!