Heres a screenshot of my current engine ive been
working on for the past year or so.
The core of the engine is based on a BSP tree, and the
geometry is imported from .map files that are
generated by Worldcraft. Ive written my own set of
tools that parse the .map files, create faces for all
the brushes, remove all the illegal geometry (i.e.
faces that are in solid space, overlapping faces,
etc...), calculate the BSP tree and finally perform
lighting calculations using simple point lights.
I still have a quite a bit of work to do culling more
geometry out of the data set by removing all the faces
that are outside of the level, but once i get some
code to generate portals this should be a trival task.
Once all that is done ill start working on code to
generate a PVS and use it to render the scene rather
than traversing the bsp tree each frame.
The rendering portion of the engine isn't very
optimized right now, and for a reason. Currently im
focusing on getting the core engine stuff working,
things such as the BSP/PVS code, a better lighting
model which may include a switch to radiosity, and
collision detection. I did run a small benchmark on
the engine running on a P3-1Ghz/Geforce2 setup and i
got 160fps with the level shown here (around 900
polys). I expect that once I do rewrite the rendering
engine ill get at least 500fps or so. I may in the
future release a demo, once i fix up the code to work
on various graphics cards other than nvidia's.
This engine is being developed to handle the indoor
dungeon scenes for a Everquest type game im working
-=[ Megahertz ]=-