Submitted by Benoit Autheman, posted on March 03, 2001

Image Description, by Benoit Autheman

Theses screenshots shown my two 3d engine in action.

The two car race scenes were extracted of my last year shool game project. It's programmed using Delphi and Opengl. It's a very basic engine, even if the game looks pretty cool visually.

The two other shown my new c++ opengl based 3d engine. It a bit more evolued, since the project include a 3ds Max 4 exporter and some cool specials effects. The scene in lower left corner show a 5000 poly animated water effect, plus a 700 poly smoke effect and a 400 poly snow particle system. It run at 15-16 fps on my celeron+tnt2, but it is really unoptimized for now.

More infos, a demo of theses effects, screenshots and delphi engine source code can be found on my web page : http://falsem.citeweb.net

Since this web page just came online, any feedback would be greatly appreciated !
thanks,
benoit.

Khrob

March 03, 2001, 01:50 PM

Looks good!

when you defined the 'track' did you flag the specific polys in max, or are all polys in the world collideable?

Jeff CK

March 03, 2001, 02:13 PM

The Delphi engine download is missing the DPR.

KodeAC

March 03, 2001, 05:22 PM

It looks great.
What frame rates are you running at?
Does your exporter extract the key frames
for animation aswell? There are no good tutorials
or code samples on how to implement keyframe animations
for models created in such packages as 3ds max.

Also, what school do you attend? Is it a trade school
or just a focused grad course in graphics/game dev?

Autheman Benoit

March 03, 2001, 05:50 PM

All the poly aren't collideable, in fact, a track mesh with a low polygon count (approx 500) is superposed on the scene (it is not rendered). The collisions test are then just applyed on theses polys.

(the geometry of the two screenshots showing the car race is exported with standards 3ds files (no Max plugin).

Autheman Benoit

March 03, 2001, 05:58 PM

car race : approx 40-50 fps on tnt2 ( there is only 10000+ polys in the scene)

water + smoke + snow : 15-16 fps (same hardware)

city : 25 fps on an old rage128 (approx 10000 poly exported from max with face texture mapping ...)

My school is not focused on game dev, but we have the oportunity to make a game in our first year final project =)

iCodeSuk

March 03, 2001, 06:15 PM

How about releasing the Delphi engine as an executable as well because...

a) I don't have delphi.
b) I don't have delphi.
c) I don't have delphi.
d) I don't have delphi.

Autheman Benoit

March 03, 2001, 06:21 PM

Because it's 15-20 mb

a) I don't have an high speed internet connex.
b) I don't have an high speed internet connex.
c) I don't have an high speed internet connex.
d) I don't have an high speed internet connex.

It will be uploaded it in the week :)

Spanky

March 03, 2001, 06:25 PM

Stick it on a CD and mail it to citeweb :) Hehe, or just mail it to them :) THat will work.

Hehe, anyways, looks really good :)

Spanky (aka Spanky)

Richard Garand

March 03, 2001, 06:43 PM

That racing game looks good...how many hours did you spend on it?

ZEN

March 03, 2001, 06:59 PM

I like your screen shots because...

a) screen shot a
b) screen shot b
c) screen shot c
d) screen shot d

keep up the good work ;)

Punchey

March 03, 2001, 10:20 PM

How are you doing the smoke effect? Is it just simple billboarded and blended quads or is it something more?

STZ

March 04, 2001, 05:25 AM

My comment was big and horrible, so to avoid any offence it was censoured by mine... and everything was deleted. Sorry for that ! :)

STZ

March 04, 2001, 05:31 AM

All your game should look at least like upper left image, other scenes needs significant improvement(plz apply textures at least)

stil

March 04, 2001, 07:39 AM

benoiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ca rulez bro' :)

ALL YOUR IOTD ARE BELONG TO US!

Laurent MASCHERPA

March 04, 2001, 10:25 AM

Tient après Hou, c'est toi qui t'y met !

I'm sure, the next "Epita"-Flipcode.com IOTD will be korporation's one or maybe epidemic ;)

Falsem, good job =)

Sanx,

richard

March 04, 2001, 10:26 AM

Eh.. what can I say about it.. IT'S REALLY NICE! :P
Especially that upper right one but with textures as seen on your homepage.

---
"Somebody set up us the bomb!"

Autheman Benoit

March 04, 2001, 11:34 AM

no just bilboarded and blended polys, but it look quite good. Volumetric fog would have been better, but i really doesn't have the time to implement it ...

Autheman Benoit

March 04, 2001, 11:40 AM

Uper left and lower right image were extracted from the same game ...

Upper right image isn't textured to show the "static lighting" infos exported from max (What max call vertex painting).

The lower left image was just here to show some (basic) special effects. These effects will soon be integrated in a more complex 3d scene to fit your needs my lord.

Autheman Benoit

March 04, 2001, 12:32 PM

I know, in fact, this is just the 3d engine library, so there is no dpr. It have been extracted from the total game project.

I will probably post a demo or the data editor wich use this source in one or two week ... ( it's not as easy to extract it from the entire project !)