Submitted by Robert Hutton, posted on February 22, 2001

Image Description, by Robert Hutton

After the recent spate of IDE screen shots on IOTD, I thought I'd contribute mine. It's a general purpose IDE that can build projects containing a mixture of Java, C++, C, asm etc via multiple build steps a'la Make.

It features an addin system to allow easy addition of tools, dynamic compiler invocation, pluggable look and feel, themes etc. It also includes an interface to my source code control system

It's 100% Java and will be open source soon (When it's finished, I still have to add a visual interface to the Java debugger and a drag-n-drop style dialog editor/code generator)

It is currently being tested by being used to develop a 100% Java game engine named Luxor. I am currently working on a 3D audio engine as part of the game engine.

iCodeSuk

February 22, 2001, 02:51 PM

looks clean and easy to use. Can't wait to use it.

David Olsson

February 22, 2001, 03:03 PM

Does the ide look the same on all OS ?

Nurbs

February 22, 2001, 03:36 PM

This is *really* impressive. How does the Class view work? Have you written a parser yourself? Do the other languages support class views, too?

I guess you could sell the system, too... :-)

Number27

February 22, 2001, 04:08 PM

Very cool, very cool indeed. How much will I be getting my boss to shell out for this??

egable

February 22, 2001, 04:29 PM

Looks an aweful lot like MS's Visual C++ IDE.

Vorteks

February 22, 2001, 04:30 PM

Looks nice. Not unlike Forte for Java in fact, although a little simpler. What kind of features will it have?

hdmx

February 22, 2001, 04:32 PM

Sure he could but who would want to buy this? Forte is free, JBuilder Extremely-Limited(tm) is free too. If it was faster and less memory consuming than Forte and had the same or more features I would really want to have it. Unfortunately I do need those Forte features like syntax highlighting, CVS, JSP development, code completion...

I still think his project is very interesting. I like the idea of developing a native Java library using C++ and asm in one single project although I do not like native Java libraries :)

hdmx

a_j_harvey

February 22, 2001, 05:50 PM

They all do... Does that tell you something abuot MSVC? That layout just seems to work so well (I think so, anyway).

a_j_harvey

February 22, 2001, 05:54 PM

Are they standard Java widgets? I think it has a very nice look-and-feel.

Did you write your own text editor, or a you using a standard widget (perhaps with some subclassing)? I find the editor to be the most difficult, and most important, part of an IDE to develop. So I end up using a RichEditView - hey its better than notepad :)

Source control? Nice.

remo

February 22, 2001, 07:16 PM

what is this insane notion of a 100% java game??
URL?

nice screenshot btw... looks clean and simple... the complexity of a lot of java ide's pisses me off

Mark Friedenbach

February 22, 2001, 08:11 PM

And I doubt that MSVC was the first to look like that either.

atreyu

February 22, 2001, 11:53 PM

Looks cool.

Does fully compiled code (containing a mixture of languages) run using a virtual machine or regular system specific binary?

plughead

February 23, 2001, 12:02 AM

Excellent... Actually, it kinda reminds me of JBuilder, except for the class tree. (But then I avoid MS crap like the plague upon programmers that it is. :)

Anyhow, I got to thinking about all the neat features that you could put in. Then I realized where BloatWare comes from (and how easy it is to bring software crawling to a halt, ala Forte.) My vote is you aim for lean (fast) rather than feature laden (slow), and Open Source it sooner rather than later.

Nate Miller

February 23, 2001, 12:18 AM

Looks very nice. How fast is it?

Diane Youdale

February 23, 2001, 01:16 AM

I hope all the rest of the MSVC goodie get added - code syntax highlighting, dragable toolbars, monospaced font, compile single file, you're in *this function*, undo, redo. Do you have context help? i.e. hit F1 on a java class and it brings up the related docs? That'll be nice to have at a decent speed.

Robert Hutton

February 23, 2001, 03:08 AM

David Olsson : It looks similar under differing OSs. The image shown is using the Java look and feel but you can change the L&F via the menu. The only difference is that the main window is a native window so will look like ~Windows under Windows, X under X etc.

Nurbs : Yes, I had to write a small parser for each language (Java, C++/C etc) so that the class view is available for each. It was not fun :-)

Vorteks : In the current version I have implemented the following.

Multiple language/compiler support.
Extendable Wizards for project, file and class creation.
Source code control intergration.
Extendable tool framework.
Intergrated HTML help system

In the next version, it will have

Visual debugging support for multiple debuggers/languages
An addin to enable creation of Java dialogs in a visual manner. Like MSVC dialog editor.
Context sensitive help.

a_j_harvey : Yes, the IDE uses standard Swing widgets. The text editor is nothing fancy, just a JEditorPane.

remo : LOL, It's an idea I have been playing with for some time. Being a very lazy guy, if I can write the game engine once and deploy it over multiple platforms, all the better. I am only in the very early stages of development at the moment but am aiming for 100% Java. If this proves to be to slow, I could use JNI and write the renderer etc for the native platform. Another beauty of 100% Java is that I hope to use Java as the scripting language and this approach will give very easy interaction with game objects.

atreyu : The IDE is really nothing more than a wrapper around whatever compiler/tool set you care to use so does not produce anything different to your normal tools.

Nate Miller : I haven't timed anything against other tools but, when I tried to run Forte on my PC it took forever to initalize, eventuaily hanging, lots of swapping to disk as I don't have much memory in my box (48M, 500mz laptop). The same box can cope with up to five instances of the IDE running at the same time befor swapping becomes annoying.

Diane Youdale : Java Swing gives you draggable toolbars by default, so yes it has them. The context sensitive help is on the way as is multi level undo/redo.

Glad you all liked the screen shot, I shall let the FlipCode community know when the next version is done and where to get your hands on it, this sould be RSN.

If anyone has any technical questions etc, feel free to e-mail me.

Nexus

February 23, 2001, 08:37 AM

One or two thing that I always find useful are syntax highlighting (just to make things that little bit more readable) and open-close bracket highlighting so that you don't have to keep such a close track on where you've got your brackets and where you've closed them (I know that I often become annoyed if I have to count the number of open and closed brackets and work out where I forgot to do it).

Just a bloat-idea.

Moby Disk

February 23, 2001, 05:26 PM

Is it a fully blown source control system? By that, I mean versioning too? I am VERY interested in this, as someone who is looking for a good free (open source?) alternative to CVS.

Robert Hutton

February 25, 2001, 04:04 PM

The current version (Dev only) handles full versioning and branching but not merging of branches. I am currently in the process of redesigning/rewritting the system to be cleaner and more modular, the current version grew out of a prototype to learn RMI. It currenly consists of a Java client and server (including API) connected via Java RMI.

The client interface resembles Source Safe as I find this a nice clean interface. The server has a public API so a command line version could be written if required, this approach (public API) also allows easy inclusion in to other applications. The IDE uses the source code control client as an addin BTW.

The server simply holds details of each asset and the actual asset in a directory. I was going to hold assets in a RDBMS but after reading a article on Gamesultra about game asset managment, I think I shall stick with the current mechinism.

I am planning to have release control included in the new version too.

If you, or anybody is interested, drop me an e-mail and I'll let you know when it's done and where to get it. I am hoping to get something done in a few weeks.

PRImaCROn

March 15, 2001, 02:52 PM

What's your E-Mail address?