Submitted by Maxime Bizon, posted on February 21, 2001

Image Description, by Maxime Bizon

This is a screenshot of my school project, an opengl 3D game that looks like Super Mario 64 from Nintendo.

Technically, I use a BSP only for collision detection with the world and a sphere/sphere collision between the moving object. As there are not many faces (around 1500 by scene) I don't use any clipping algorithm, I just send all the faces and that's pretty fast even on my tnt. The object are simple mesh (3ds) or animated mesh (own format) using interpolation (like MD2). I use directx for sounds, musics, and input.

As you can see I've managed to rip the original textures and even the meshes from the Rom :) so the first level is exactly the same as in the original game, and the mario mesh also (excepted the face which is my teacher's one jsut for fun :)

Only one bad thing, the physics sucks and the collision detection are still not working quite well but I'll try to improve that. You can download the game at http://www.sk64.fr.st/final.zip and if you can read french I also explain everything about the developpement.on the website.

Maxime

Hannu K.

February 21, 2001, 02:11 PM

That's übercool, I just hope Nintendo doesn't get mad at you :).

iCodeSuk

February 21, 2001, 02:17 PM

Your download link aint working, it looks cool, but would love to play it.

Laurent MASCHERPA

February 21, 2001, 02:33 PM

Cool school project.
It's very fun, my favorite level is the sliding level =)
Keep working that way ;)

D.P.

February 21, 2001, 02:38 PM

looks amazing but your link doesn't work!!! :) Have you looked at other n64 games to make?, goldeneye on the PC would be cool!
Been to your site but my french is too bad.
Salut, bonsoir.

Vorteks

February 21, 2001, 02:50 PM

Very cool. It's neat to be able to disassemble a ROM that way to get meshes and textures. And I think your graphics, paticularly the lighting, actually look better then the N64.

BTW, your link works fine for me.

Phil Carlisle

February 21, 2001, 03:07 PM

Can you explain the process of getting data from the rom? do you have information on the formats used in M64? I ask because we have some insane Nintendo-ites here I'd like to shut up by doing something with this stuff (didnt know it was possible to get the rom data).

Phil.

Maxime Bizon

February 21, 2001, 03:17 PM

Remember UltraHLE , the n64 emulator ? It was written using Glide so a lot of people used glide wrappers to emulate it.
A lot of them were given with the sources, I just found a GL one, add some code at the right place, a simple fopen in fact :) and rerun the emulator in the level I wanted
Same things for textures...

Maz

February 21, 2001, 03:58 PM

NOOO !!!!!

its just not the same without the bluury low framerate graphics !>!

*cough*

.... nice work :P

Siigron

February 21, 2001, 05:01 PM

cool, but i'm quite sure Nintendo have copyright on the artwork, so what you're doing might not be perfectly legal :)
i don't think they'll care, but you should at least be aware of it...
anyway, nice work!

deadsoul

February 21, 2001, 05:12 PM

How can you "take data from roms" and still manage to make it look awful ?
I don't mean any disrespect here but it seems that some of the graphics are just Not right ?
The only bit that looks right is the outside of the castle ?
and even that has huge holes in it and missing polys ?
As for Mario himself well he is missing parts too :) and rotating his head backwards so that you can slap your face texture on looks a little silly ?

just my 2 cents

Deadsoul

Maxime Bizon

February 21, 2001, 05:32 PM

heu... sorry mr I didn't except my poor little first 3d game to be seen by 3d art masters like you... It's just a school project ! and it was made for fun, I don't mind if it don't look superb as long as is it funny... And I didn't want to rip all the original meshes that's all.

Mattijs

February 21, 2001, 05:58 PM

What kind of school do you go to? That have you making games as a project. Or doe French just have more fun?

lxnyce

February 21, 2001, 06:00 PM

There is an emulator tool out there which can export a vrml output of the world. Do a search on it or check emulator sites to find it.

Maxime Bizon

February 21, 2001, 06:10 PM

look at my email -> EPITA "Ecole Pour l'Informatique et les Techniques Avancées" a 5 years engineer school.

In fact I was only in first year but we can make a game only on this year, so I did. And it's better to make the teacher that give you the mark the game hero :)

Trolocsis

February 21, 2001, 06:54 PM

About the copyright issues. It seems like he is using the textures/images for personal use, and for educational purposes. This should fall under the fair use category.

CaptainFR

February 21, 2001, 07:42 PM

Yeah, Hou power!
héhé, ben no comment, it's "bien sympa".
Is this version in delphi too, or you make a new version in c++?

z66831

February 21, 2001, 08:35 PM

Ah, but now he is redistributing them. :)

Even with proper credit, I still think this entire thing falls under the "don't decompile or reverse engineer our stuff" clause.

AtheistGod

February 21, 2001, 09:21 PM

Deadsoul.

Those 2 cents are very disrespectful.
If you can do better, then your critisism might be useful, rather then plain right insulting.

AtheistGod

--xerostar--

February 21, 2001, 11:07 PM

Yeah, I would like to know where you got the specs for the N64 rom??? No I dont work for nintendo.

Maxime Bizon

February 22, 2001, 12:34 AM

watch the previous reply, in fact they have no particular format for their data I think, it depends of the game, but good emulators exist so let them do the job for you :)

Maxime Bizon

February 22, 2001, 12:51 AM

Lets say that you must own the original cartdrige to play this game otherwise you have to delete it within 24 hours :)) (and I really don't think people will play it more than 5 minutes :)

1c4i4

February 22, 2001, 03:38 AM

fuck yeah,

this looks really great, I can't wait to get a final demo version.

jurgen

Mace

February 22, 2001, 04:02 AM

"There is an emulator tool out there which can export a vrml output of the world. Do a search on it or check emulator sites to find it"

where?!, where??!!, wheeeere???!!! ;)

Been looking for something like that for aaaaages.

Mace

February 22, 2001, 04:07 AM

Simply Awesome!

But i dun agree that the lighting looks better than in the real game, though.

I want to abduct Link for my own test programs. :)
Wheres that tool?

Link, be afraid.. be very very afraid, muahahaha :)

Torbjørn Vik

February 22, 2001, 05:13 AM

Nice one!

Just wanted to mention this fellow isn't the only one making game as
a school-project.
Check out...

http://www.tihlde.org/~torbjorv/snok/ (fully updated)
http://snok.demonews.com (not entirely updated mirror)

Cyberfish/TLS

Fabian Giesen

February 22, 2001, 06:58 AM

About the lighting... sorry, but I don't see ANY lighting except in the first shot, the rest seems just like pure texture mapping to me...

-ryg

henry ludemann

February 22, 2001, 07:30 AM

You can get the vrml 3d data (but not texture data) with Joketsu's VRMLexporter and using it with nemu. It works sort of ok.

Maxime Bizon

February 22, 2001, 10:19 AM

you're wrong, download the game and play, you'll see difference in the lightning depending the camera angle. If there was really no lighting you couldn't see any detail on the mario mesh.

KidNate2000

February 22, 2001, 11:03 AM

I was interested in this N64 emulation thing so I downloaded the emulator and stuff but I am having a hard time finding roms. I would really like to have mario,zelda64(1),zelda64(2) I own all these games so I wouldn't be breaking the law. Are there any places to get these easily?

henry ludemann

February 22, 2001, 11:17 AM

If you want, you can do a search on the net for them. This is not the right place to post requests such as these.