Submitted by Frederic My, posted on February 13, 2001

Image Description, by Frederic My

Here is a screenshot of the engine (called Fairy) I'm working on during my spare time; or I'd rather say the game I'm working on, because I'm more interested in finishing something simpler one day than trying to create the most perfect engine on the web and never use it [this is my contribution to the 'game or engine ?' discussion ;)]. So, there's nothing really awesome at present, but a lot of things put together : some rendering using hardware TnL through DirectX or OpenGL, MP3 and soundtrack (mainly S3M - I'm an old retired demomaker) replay, a database manager, 3DS import and animation replay with quaternions, a portal based scene graph (hence the mirror in the screenshot), particle systems, collision detection.

You can download a demo here : www.fairyengine.com This is a website I have recently opened, where you can also find my old DOS demos, and soon (I hope) some source code and articles explaining most of the algorithms of Fairy.

Concerning the demo, it is very easy to manipulate, especially if you're used to the Tomb Raider games (these are the same keys, almost the same camera behaviour, and...)

Mythos

David Olsson

February 13, 2001, 02:23 PM

Looks really nice!

How do you do collision detection ?
(I'm kinda interested in that topic at the moment)

Btw, your homepage was very slow to me, took several minutes to load, and that is a bit strange since I'm on a 10 mbit cable.

/David

tcs

February 13, 2001, 02:33 PM

I never finished a 3D game, only a small RTS, a worms clone and so on ;-)

Respect to all the guys that finish a whole 3D game alone !

When you mastered it, you should really write an article on how you did it and how you kept focussed ;-)

Tim

Point

February 13, 2001, 03:27 PM

On dirait Goldorak sur le screenshot...est-ce bien lui ?

Shriek

February 13, 2001, 03:56 PM

"On dirait Goldorak sur le screenshot...est-ce bien lui ?"

Point was asking if it's Goldorak in the screenshot.

Phil Carlisle

February 13, 2001, 04:58 PM

Please DONT mention the W**** name Tim! :))

btw: congrats on your job at Crytek. I am sure XIsle will be a big hit.

Phil.

Richard Szalay

February 13, 2001, 06:00 PM

Two things :) (i'm getting greedy)

Firsty, could you explain how your camera system works ? (basically, in pseudocode (or even less detail), how it follows the character, and decides to turn corners etc.)

Secondly, I'm not sure exactly how, but I was able to go outside the walls when I was in wireframe mode. I cant really explain where, because I got lost in wireframe :) Is this a known bug? If not, then I'm glad I could help.

Buster

February 13, 2001, 07:29 PM

It looks great on my box, except that I get a BlueScreen/Automatic ReBoot when I select Lara as the model. Everything else works well!

Win 2000, BTW.

source code! source code! source code!

-Buster

DooMWiz

February 13, 2001, 08:03 PM

On the downloads page in the Known Issues section, he states:

"the collision tests are static : it means that if an object is on one side of a wall, and then on the other side the next frame, no collision is detected. So you can go through the walls in several situations : you have a very low framerate, other time consuming applications are running in the background, you have a big hard disk or CD rom access."

But he says he'll fix it...=]

The Wolf

February 13, 2001, 08:34 PM

from the nice pic and all the features I see, I think you're very close to start working on a great game

David Frey

February 13, 2001, 09:11 PM

The demo makes my SB Live! chirp whenever Statue of Liberty statuette is on the screen. Then again, so do a couple other programs like 3DMark 2000 and Giants demo. :

Scrambled Monkey

February 13, 2001, 09:33 PM

From the main page it looked like one of spy vs. spy at a bar with donald duck serving the drinks... :) Looks really cool! It's not just like, one cool thing, it's actually something approaching a game. Keep it up! Downloading the demo...
Dan

Richard Szalay

February 13, 2001, 10:36 PM

i must've missed that bit =)

luther2k

February 14, 2001, 12:59 AM

Nice shot, I really like the partial reflectivity of the floor. I think you could do with some lightmaps in there to add a bit of richness to the lighting but apart from that, great stuff.

Tim.

morgan

February 14, 2001, 01:52 AM

Wow, it even worked correctly on my double monitor system-- most programs die hard on that. The floor partial reflectivity is very cool. OpenGL didn't render anything at all on my GeForce (white screen); DirectX worked great.

Nice job!

-m

richard

February 14, 2001, 03:20 AM

Nice demo, but there's one little small tiny thing that annoyed me: the camera is getting stuck behind some walls so Lara walks away until you don't see her anymore... =)

* mythos *

February 14, 2001, 10:49 AM

Thank you everybody for the comments :) It's time for some answers:

- David O: as stated on my website the collision system is very basic at present, not a lot to say about it. When 2 objects have to be checked I transform one bounding volume to the space of the other in the fastest way (for example a sphere is quicker than an AABB, only one point), and perform a static test. Perhaps one day I will make the tests in world space, this implies less transformations but the tests are sometimes heavier (consider for example that an AABB in model space tranforms to an OBB in world space). If the BVs intersect I go down to the faces level, but in most cases this is unnecessary. Each node of my scene graph has a bounding volume, you can see that with the 'B' key of the demo: the big box is the character's node's BV, and each mesh has its own small BV. So the tests are recursive, Very classical.

- Point: yes it's Goldorak. But he has other names in other countries...

- Richard S: in wireframe you have a lot of chances to go outside the walls because the framerate is so slow... (most cards don't draw lines, they draw one small triangle for each point of the line). Somebody has already answered why, thanx DoomWiz :) Concerning the camera behaviour I'd have to dive in the code to remember exactly, but basically speaking: the camera always wants to be some distance (2 ou 3 meters if not modified with the keys) behind the character - this is the 'wanted position'; but the camera is not allowed to go to that position immediately, it has a maximum speed that introduces some delay in its response (for example when the character runs straight ahead, the camera is farther); furthermore, the camera has a bounding volume and is not allowed to go through objects (or else it could go outside the walls); so, it tries to go as close to the wanted position as it can, but it's sometimes difficult...

- Buster: Lara=blue screen: no idea, have to check

- David F: SB Live pb: when playing an MP3, or a soundtrack ?

- Richard: the camera can slide on the walls when it tries to go to its 'wanted position' (see above); when this feature was not implemented, manipulating the demo was a real nightmare ;) But if the character turns a corner (a right angle) quickly the camera can get stuck, you're right. I don't know how this is handled in Tomb Raider, the camera is not as far as mine from the character and this helps, the corridors are larger and this helps too, but I have to find a solution to fix this (if the camera is too far from the character I could perhaps make it follow the same path (= record the character's positions) to avoid being stuck by walls; but if another character is on the way, should I go through it or not ?...

Still a lot of work to do :)

Frederic My - aka Mythos

Cybok^Guideline

February 15, 2001, 03:02 PM

Hmz..the site loads good here(2mbit ADSL)