Submitted by Pierre Terdiman, posted on February 06, 2001

Image Description, by Pierre Terdiman

Hi there Flipcoders,
My IOTD from September, 17, 2000 featured old ICE snapshots. Here are brand new ones.

- The first row shows 3 pics from a Quake-like world. No special features there, just the engine warming up.

- The two first pics from the second row show the rigid body simulator in action. That one is currently simple, using convex polytopes only and shameful penalty methods. Anisotropic lighting and shadow volumes make the first snapshot more attractive. On the second one nonetheless, you can notice the nice trails showing the path of one of the cube's vertex. The first version (not the best, I must update that zip) is still available here: http://www.codercorner.com/Rigid.htm

- The third row begins with a purely eye-candy effect: realtime glow. On the left you can see a dynamic procedural texture (Perlin turbulence), used on the right to make the glow nicer. To do this I just compute the silhouette of the cylinder (using the same code as for shadow volumes) then extrude it in a radial way. Dumb, looks nice, what the hell ?

- The bumpy sphere is a test of displaced subdivision surfaces, as presented by Hugues Hoppe (SIGGRAPH2000) and Tom Forsyth (WGDC2000). I use the Butterfly scheme, even if this is useless here. The displacement map is a simple noise map. Don't miss Tom's presentation, here: http://www.muckyfoot.com/downloads/tom.html

- Last but not least, the lady is an attempt to mix several techniques together: skinning, progressive meshes, subdivision surfaces, IK, cloth and hair simulation and cool shaders. Coding those techniques separately is not "too difficult", but actually making them work together can be *very* painful... Work in progress. There's about 200.000 faces in the model, which explains the somewhat low framerate (on a Celeron 500Mhz + GeForce) .... You can also have a closer look there: http://www.codercorner.com/NextGen.jpg

As always, everything was exported from MAX with Flexporter
(http://www.codercorner.com/Flexporter.htm)

Pierre

Spellcaster

February 06, 2001, 01:50 PM

Great work, Pierre... Awesome, I would say... :)))

I've showed this to a friend and he's jealous of you... :)))

... and I've got to say... me too... :)

Spellcaster

Spellcaster

February 06, 2001, 01:51 PM

Cool! First post... :)))

BTW, did you do the model of the doll yourself ?

Spellcaster

tcs

February 06, 2001, 01:53 PM

Um... is this a pic of the day or the history of coding your life ? ;-)

Impressive ! Maybe I should look follow a link, but is this a opensource engine or so ??

Tim

Revolver

February 06, 2001, 02:14 PM

Of course it isn't, the POTD is all about posturing. ;-)

Nice shots though! Real-time glow (as used here) is a subtle effect, and hopefully we'll see it put to good use in the future.

sagacity

February 06, 2001, 02:17 PM

Nice shots, Pierre shows he still has explosive!

Pants

February 06, 2001, 02:21 PM

Wow. Really nice shots. Especially the Rigid Body Dynamics and the Girl.

I checked out this pic
That is one really nice pair! Almost good enough to fondle. Haha.

Anyway, enough of my immature ranting.

See ya

Pete

L.e.Denninger

February 06, 2001, 02:21 PM

Love the tits in your 'nextgen'-shots :)

Her hair looks a little crappy though, the mapping of the model sucks.

L.e.Denninger

February 06, 2001, 02:31 PM

Pierre, by the way, for what company do you work ?

Prophylon

February 06, 2001, 02:47 PM

Very impressive shots, especially the chi.. uh female picture in the lower right. You wouldn't happen to have a demo of her, do ye? Or a demo of the hair thing, because I am dying to see how it looks real time. I have seen the shots in Hoppe's paper (they look amazing) but it just too nice to imagine it in real time.

Keep on coding!

Prophylon.

Vorteks

February 06, 2001, 02:48 PM

Cool, very impressive shots. 200,000 faces? That's more then my machine could possibly handle...

Revolver

February 06, 2001, 02:58 PM

IMHO the hair is ok... the EYELASHES though are kinda quirky... they look like fins. ;-)

Vorteks, 200K is reasonable on a GeForce1. On my P3-933/GeForce1 I get just over 240K per frame @ 60 FPS (roughly 14.5MTri/S). Of course it's just a polygon pump with very basic logic and not a "real" app - nonetheless, it shows you can do quite well on a GF1. A GeForce2 can do plenty more. ;-)

Vorteks

February 06, 2001, 03:00 PM

Revolver -- I've got a Voodoo3. 'nuff said.

Scrambled Monkey

February 06, 2001, 03:15 PM

Great pics. I agree about that nextgen pic though, about the eye lashes... They could use some transpency, they look kind of disturbing, like she has some wierd growth on her face. Otherwise, absolutely incredible! I especially like the noisy sphere and the shading on the girl.
Dan

L.e.Denninger

February 06, 2001, 03:27 PM

Huhuh, he said 'voodoo3' :)

Hannu K.

February 06, 2001, 05:27 PM

rigid body simulation..cloth..ik..me dr00ls

Hannu K.

February 06, 2001, 05:29 PM

on second thought, maybe that woman could've been better without the cloth simulation, as seen in the picture link you gave ;)

Max

February 06, 2001, 05:37 PM

"200K is reasonable on a GeForce1"

Not for a soft-skinned model.

Max

zed zeek

February 06, 2001, 05:44 PM

nice one
i luv the nextgen picture 'looks likes its done with oil pastels, most impressive'
btw i think what ppl are seeing as eyelashes is actually makeup under the eye, whats that called 'eyeshadow' or someit. this sort of stuff makes me wanna get off me ass and finish my game

DirtyPunk

February 06, 2001, 05:53 PM

Remind me not to click on links like nextgen.jpg at work :)

morgan

February 06, 2001, 09:59 PM

Sweet!

Trying to make various techniques work together is really hard; I'm very impressed at your results. Far too often, people consider a problem solved if there is an algorithm for it-- ignoring the fact that that algorithm may be completely incompatible with the other features of a rendering engine.

Anisotropic shading looks really cool, too.

-m

Pierre Terdiman

February 06, 2001, 10:23 PM

Ok let's try to answer all the questions...

Spellcaster,
I would say this is the main interest with IOTDs: they give you that weird coding vibe, drive you nuts, and push you to code. Don't panic then, I've been jealous of countless IOTDs so far :)

tcs,
I'm afraid my coding life is way bigger :))
(www.codercorner.com/Pierre.htm)
This is just an excerpt of what was produced since the last IOTD, *grin*

The "engine" is not opensource so far. Basically this is just a generic handy framework to quickly test various algorithms [I believe it does the job! For example implementing the glow took a few hours, reusing parts of the engine already in place. That's where you love the OO way (Altair? Nick? :)]

Revolver,
There are bigger screenshots in you like it:

Sagacity,
*That* is a private joke no-one will get :)

Pants,
:) Maybe immature, but admittedly you'd better find a sexy project when it comes to mixing together so many complex things. Else you'll just give up on the first serious impossible-to-fix bug.... :)))

Denninger,
Ahahah! Speaking of immature.... :)))
I don't mind people telling me this or that sucks, but if you don't say as well *why* it sucks, you're just throwing away one more pitifully useless post among gazillions of them, aren't you?

Prophylon,
As I said: regarding milady, work in progress. There will be a demo (I hope so!) as soon as it's finished (or good-looking enough). For the moment I've just mixed the mesh-related techniques (skinning, PM, subdivision surfaces), and I still have to combine the dynamics part on top of that (mainly hair/cloth). The cloth code is ready (there's an oooooold demo here: http://www.codercorner.com/Cloth.htm) but not applied to the dress so far (no technical problem involved, I just didn't have the time). The hair part is the only real remaining challenge. If you attack the problem in the same way as cloth, you get decent results, but waaaaay to slow. So I'll have to hack my way out of it to make the whole thing realtime.

I have some old snapshots for hair. The pics are ugly (ugly model, random hair texture) but I was testing the *dynamics* here!

...yeah, I've been traumatized by the long hair in Cat's Eye when I was young... :)))

Vorteks,
As Revolver said, that's not a problem for a well-driven GeForce. Anyway 200.000 is far too high, the model does not need it since it's meant to be quite smooth. That's the problem of subdivision surfaces. You get maaaany faces even in places you don't need them. *Displaced* surfaces are way better since they give you the real thing: details! (as detail textures do). Now, for a lady's smooth skin, you certainly don't want/need bumps and displacement maps, so the number of faces should be very very smaller in the end (and reused in the hair maybe).

Revolver & Scrambled Monkey (*),
The opacity map was missing for eyelashes, I know.....

(*) Ahah, sounds like the name of your next-hype britpop band!! :)))

Max,
Right! Especially when you recompute all the normals on-the-fly...

Zed Zeek,
There's actually an opacity map missing :)

DirtyPunk,
With such a nickname, don't tell me it would stop you!

P.

DirtyPunk

February 06, 2001, 11:54 PM

Doesn't stop me. Some of the more prudent of the staff might not like softcore hardware render-pr0n :)

Jukka Liimatta

February 07, 2001, 01:03 AM

>Sagacity,
>*That* is a private joke no-one will get :)

TSK, TSK, you are underestimating the geekiness of average FLIPCODE.COM reader-- you by chance in demogroup "BOMB" from France?

--wog

Pierre Terdiman

February 07, 2001, 01:09 AM

Yup, used to be. Anyway I'm not really into demos anymore. [Even if Flexporter was used by the winning (Atari ST) demo at STNICCC 2000 !!]

maddoc

February 07, 2001, 05:11 AM

I like the doll too but I think
one of her arms (on the pic the left one)
looks kinda strange in a way it does not belong to this
really beautiful model
the texture of the face is great

and the bump mapper is probably one of the best I have ever seen
I don't know how fast everything is but !WOW!

!!keep going on!!

L.e.Denninger

February 07, 2001, 05:25 AM

Pierre - we have explosive ? aka Bomb ? :)

Pierre Terdiman

February 07, 2001, 06:09 AM

Maddoc,
Errr... the *left* one ? :)
Anyway I'm not sure to understand what you mean....

"the bump mapper is probably one of the best I have ever seen"
Maybe because that's not bump, but displaced subdivision surfaces? :)

Denninger,
Yes. And you're in ACME, aren't you?

Pierre Terdiman

February 07, 2001, 06:40 AM

Maddoc,
Here's the original pic by the way:

L.e.Denninger

February 07, 2001, 07:09 AM

Pierre - uhm, well, yeah, no, actually...
I joined Acme once, and haven't done anything demo-related from that moment on.. :)
So I haven't been of very much use for Acme :)
(Work sucks all the code out of me, there's practically nothing left for the demoscene :))

Mathieu 'POĻ' HENRI

February 09, 2001, 04:47 AM

hi'

well, each time I see parts of your projects it really kicks ASS
you definitly have explosives man! (and my washing machine :) I really have to do something for that)

keep up the (very) good job