Submitted by Benedict Walmisley, posted on January 30, 2001

Image Description, by Benedict Walmisley

This is a game I've been working on in my copious free time. Its a RTT with you controlling upto 8 tanks at the same time.

The engine renders around 2.5 MTris/sec (100 Fps) on a Geforce 2 MX. Things I've added recently that didnt make it into the pics are terrain scarring and procedural creation of small rocks (a la Sacrifice).

The landscape is a heightfield using ROAM. I'm considering replacing ROAM with a quadtree algorithm as that is more hardware TnL friendly.

1c4i4

January 30, 2001, 10:22 AM

wholy,

what a magnificent renderer. Great shadow and cloud effects, let me know if there is a playable demo available.

jurgen

Khrob

January 30, 2001, 10:30 AM

Those shadows! and that brightening in the bottom right shot...

bloody magnificent.

how are you doing the shadows?

Jonas Risbrandt

January 30, 2001, 10:36 AM

Wow! Very, very nice looking terrain engine! Guess I still have some work to do with my own engine :)

How do you do the textuering? Doesn't seem to be very hi-res but it looks _very_ good!

MojoMagic

January 30, 2001, 10:53 AM

That looks pretty awesome.
Since I (and I'm sure others) am working on my own engine at the moment, I'd love a link to a binary to see it in action.

Keep up the good work!

mastagen

January 30, 2001, 11:18 AM

WOW!
*very* cool picture, especially the sky and the detail of the landscape, really impressive.
But the particle system seems to be improveable, "let the wind blow" ;)
What do you mean with 2.5 million Tris?? 2.5 visible million polygons???
WOW, I got only 100k visible poly's at 24-22fps...

keep up the good work - FINISH it!!!

DarkReaper

January 30, 2001, 11:37 AM

Wow! That is truly amazing. Do you have a downloadable avaliable? Are you condidering making this open source? What about the clouds. Are they polygons or just textures? Are you using a skybox technique?

Vorteks

January 30, 2001, 11:55 AM

Yeah right, those are obviously photographs. :-)

That's a very very good looking engine, especially the shot on the bottom left. Looks like something I'd see in National Geographic. You mentioned how well it runs on a GeForce card, but will it run on less? I'm still one of those losers with a Voodoo 3 you see.

mooznach

January 30, 2001, 12:00 PM

Yep, I gotta say it too-
WOW!
That looks amazing. Tell us when you have some sort of demo I'd love to see it.

henry ludemann

January 30, 2001, 12:27 PM

That looks excellent! I gather from the top right picture (where the clouds are behind each other) that you can't have them blowing across the sky? It reminds me a lot of Terragen, but that took about 10-15 minutes to render a picture... not 100 fps.

David Olsson

January 30, 2001, 12:41 PM

I love that lower left screenshot, its look like something from my raytracer, only that took 4 hours to render.
Are you using per pixel lightning or something ?
I too would really like to see a binary !

Pants

January 30, 2001, 12:53 PM

Yes. Very nice!

I too love the lighting. Especially the way the land and sky get brighter as the sun comes into view.

As for 100fps. Wow. For that I bet all the lighting and shadows are pre calculated (or at least not done per frame).

Pete

L.e.Denninger

January 30, 2001, 12:58 PM

Left-bottom pic looks like a straight shot of a prerendered skybox :)

If it's not, I'm curious wether the detail is in the geometry or in the texture(s).

Good work.

I'm not surrounded by idiots.

DirtyPunk

January 30, 2001, 01:08 PM

That is per second at a 100fps :)

2.5*10^6 / 10^2 = 2.5*10^4. Or 25k triangles. Which is still amazing for a ROAM engine.

DirtyPunk

January 30, 2001, 01:12 PM

This is still one of the triangle higher counts I've seen for ROAM at any decent FPS. 25k triangles for a
ROAM engine is large. Did you put in lots of special optimisation? Or do you just have a super beefy processor

I'm sure with more T&L friendly algorithm *cough* tile based VIPM *cough* you could get impressively high
rates.

Robert Hayes

January 30, 2001, 01:20 PM

Yes, it really looks like Terragen textures. Do you overlay one 512x or 1024x ground texture over your entire heightmap? From the shadows I'm guessing you do. That's currently what I'm doing with my own terrain demo and it looks eerily similar to this. Nice sky BTW; is that also Terragen on a plane?

Joakim Hårsman

January 30, 2001, 01:22 PM

This is easily the best lighting I've seen _ever_ in _any_ interactive app. Exposure simulation just looks sooo cool. A homepage or something would be really nice...

Jesse Chounard

January 30, 2001, 01:23 PM

Very nice. I really like the sky in these pictures. The bottom right one really looks like a photograph. How are you doing the shadows?

Jesse

Krylar

January 30, 2001, 01:56 PM

Amazing! That has got to be the most impressive lighting/shadowing I've seen. As with everyone else, I would also love to see a demo.

Marius

January 30, 2001, 02:39 PM

Another wow!!! Now I have to scrap all my stuff and start over.

LordDaha

January 30, 2001, 02:41 PM

Cool. I almost feel the sun burning on my skin when I look at the bottom right picture.... Are those shadows precalculated?

Kevin Lackey

January 30, 2001, 02:51 PM

The sky is incedible. How bout some more details om how it is done?

EGreg

January 30, 2001, 03:29 PM

How do you do the sky and the lighting stuff when the sun comes out?
-Greg

The Wolf

January 30, 2001, 03:39 PM

very nice terrain, actually I'm working on a terrain engine now, hopefully it would looks as good as yours :)

anyways, hope you post a demo soon.

Martijn Stoffels

January 30, 2001, 03:56 PM

2,5 MPoly's/sec at 100fps, that's 25,000 poly's per frame, isn't it? But the screenshot at the bottom left couldn't possibly be so lowpoly. Do you use per-pixel lighting, or does that frame run at 1 fps? :)

Martijn

Kornel

January 30, 2001, 04:01 PM

Wow!

Looks amazing.
But 25 million tris/sec at 100fps is bullshit.
(It's definetly not the count of visble polygons,
not even those sent to the renderer)
On a geforce2 gts with 600mhz celeron the upper polygoncount limit seems to be around 10 million at high framerates.
(Done in the most tnl friendly way.)

Even if it's not 25m tris/sec it still looks amazing.

How did you create the textures? How much texture is there?

Detail textures could add more feeling of speed when moving
close to the surface.

Please make a demo of the engine downloadable!

Kornel

The Wolf

January 30, 2001, 04:02 PM

btw, how did you do the shadows, is it a lightmap?

Countach

January 30, 2001, 04:22 PM

He said 2.5 million triangles.
Thats impressive, but not impossible.

Isaack Rasmussen

January 30, 2001, 04:25 PM

Benedict, it looks really great!

Kornel... where do you get that number from, he said "2" and a "half" million, not 25.

But as other asked, what about a demo?

Isaack

absurd

January 30, 2001, 04:29 PM

Yep, I'm impressed too... those two pics at the bottom look allmoust photorealistic. I would really like to see the engine in action.

Well I think all the technical questions I had, have already been
asked. I hope you will answer those too.

Hannu K.

January 30, 2001, 04:48 PM

"But 25 million tris/sec at 100fps"

You didn't understand the sentence. If the game runs 100 fps, the scene has 2.5M/100 = 25,000 polygons. So not 2.5 million tris at 100 fps.