Submitted by Luke Hodorowicz, posted on January 25, 2001

Image Description, by Luke Hodorowicz

Recently I completed my 3D game engine, and I'm now working on making a racing game with it. It's going to feature racing, arena matches, powerups, weapons, and all the fun stuff thats in futuristic racing games.

More shots of the game and engine at gollum.flipcode.com

Max

January 25, 2001, 02:09 AM

I can't wait to see this in action; I'm expecting something very cool from you.

Max

SLUDGE

January 25, 2001, 02:35 AM

I'm impressed that you're actually finished your game engine. What do you plan on doing about getting content? Are you working at a commercial company, or are you out on your own? If the latter, how do you plan on distributing your game after your done?

TheRain

January 25, 2001, 03:02 AM

I gotta say, I really respect your work. The first thing I thought when I tried the demo of your 3d engine was that you have a great eye for aesthetics. You know how to make great use of technology to further the art of game programming, and that can't be said for many people IMHO. Keep up the great work, and I can't wait to see this game when it's done!!!

Best Regards,

Collin Meyer

thec

January 25, 2001, 04:21 AM

... and the flipcode logo stay's in place :)

Albert

Cybok^Guideline

January 25, 2001, 04:52 AM

"Darker, I like darker", hehe. But It looks very nice, kind of breaking the boundry between amatures and proffessionals. Keep up the good work, hope a lot of ppl download it.

Khrob

January 25, 2001, 06:45 AM

Very impressive.

Are you planning to / do you have an online option?

The usual issues of latency, etc would have an interesting subcase in a racing game format.

Prediction could be more accurately done as you would expect most players to be going one way, etc.

Anyone done any work in that area?

Khrob

Vorteks

January 25, 2001, 08:44 AM

Looks very professional. I'm impressed

Dantourin

January 25, 2001, 09:34 AM

Wow.

Mace

January 25, 2001, 09:45 AM

Would be cool with the speed of f-zero X hoovers for that cool piece of work :)

Ogotay

January 25, 2001, 12:51 PM

You probably don't remember (or even more probably did not even read it) I wrote I'd buy the game you would do on top of your engine once it's ready. I always keep my promises ;)))...

David Massey

January 25, 2001, 12:56 PM

Normally I don't post comments but I have to for this. Great work. Any chance on making the engine opensource (if your not planning on trying to sell it) looks like you have an awesome foundation.

I'm happy to see your choice of game you want to make too. Instead of going for a super elaborate RPG that you could in no way complete, your going with a simple concept that should be fun and well within your artistic reach. I think that's a very smart choice and one that people don't often consider when they want to make the next Final Fantasy killer all by themselves.

Dave

Ogotay

January 25, 2001, 01:06 PM

Btw, forgot to ask it before, how long did it take actually to make the engine?

Betelgeuse

January 25, 2001, 01:07 PM

Hi,

Very cool stuff!

I just have one comment. In http://gollum.flipcode.com/shots/shot024.jpg it seems as though the blending of the lights is done incorrectly. In the distance several lights are superimposed which makes them become brighter. Though this effect wouldn't be aparent because the lights in the distance would be alot dimmer (inverse square law).

Anyways, just a thought.

- Betelgeuse

SirKnight

January 25, 2001, 03:15 PM

I must say your engine and game looks very profesional. It looks like something i would see that would be selling for $50+. Very nice.

-Snyper

mastagen

January 25, 2001, 03:29 PM

c00l picture!
and it sounds like a nice game...
~I never heard a guy saying "I completed my 3D game engine"~
I just can't wait to see it!!!

Keep up the good work!

-mastagen

zepline

January 25, 2001, 03:41 PM

nice looking engine, gollum. the screens look great :)
good luck in the future

Warren Marshall

January 25, 2001, 05:27 PM

Way to go Luke! You hardly ever see the words "I completed my 3D game engine". :)

Nutter

January 25, 2001, 06:40 PM

I'd just like to say.. wow! Congrats man, great work!

-Nutter

Thr33d

January 25, 2001, 07:25 PM

in reply to Betelgeuse's message:
that may be true, however it doesn't apply here as you have said, for one thing, thats not the 'lights' themselves glowing, it's supposed to emulate the diffusion of the light off of particles in the air, however since theres now distance cueing, it doesn't really make any sense realistically, fyi it's called a 'special effect' ;)
i think that if he added distance cueing (fogging) the light's 'glow' would look more realistic and you wouldn't have to compensate for the inverse square law, that is taken care of by the perspective. (objects farther become smaller, thus emitting less light.) otherwise, if you did with those glows as you suggested, you would also theoretically have to do that to the entire scene, which you Know wouldn't look right (objects fading from black to normal color as you get closer)...

my 2 cents
-mike

Luke Hodorowicz

January 25, 2001, 08:18 PM

To answer some questions:

For content I design and model all my models and levels, and I create all my own artwork, sound, and music. I'm doing this for fun in my spare time. I haven't really thought about what I'm going to do with it when I'm done, I'm to busy working on it :) Selling it would be nice for the time I have and will put into it. :)

Are you planning to / do you have an online option?

I would like an online option, but it probably will not happen as I only have 1 computer and writing network applications like this without a few machines to test on is not my idea of fun. Also I don't want to spend a lot of time doing it. I would like to done within 4 or 5 months and adding networking support is just going to slow me down.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the engine once it's done. If I do sell it, it probably won't go opensource. I have written the engine in such a way as to seperate the engine from the game so it is actually modifiable without having the engine source (much like the quake games) I may just give the specs out for the game dll, but like I said I won't be sure until I actually finish the game.

Btw, forgot to ask it before, how long did it take actually to make the engine?

I've been working on it since September of 2000. I would say on average I get 10-30 hours of work put into it per week in my spare time around classes and *trying* to have a life other than coding, making graphics, modeling, writing music, or level designing....

~I never heard a guy saying "I completed my 3D game engine"~

Me either. =)

In response to Betelgeuse's and Thr33d's comments -
The lights in the picture aren't correct by any means. They are the sort of flares that are in Unreal that are additively blended and scale with distance. But they look *damn* cool (IMO) when you're flying through them the hallyway at 200 kM/h. =)

-Luke

Phil Carlisle

January 26, 2001, 07:04 AM

Congrats Luke, good work. Finishing things is the first step towards being a professional programmer. (Believe me, there are MANY good programmers that CANT finish things (usually start off as democoders :))

In the end, a great thing unfinished is worse than a poor thing finished in game terms (ok.. you could argue that).

Phil.

Ogotay

January 26, 2001, 07:35 AM

Grr, I hope it will inspire me to FINALLY finish one of my engines LOL.

Scott Velasquez

January 26, 2001, 03:39 PM

Very nice Luke! Not only did you manage to create a nice looking piece of software, but you stuck with it and finished it out. Sometimes it's very difficult to concentrate on a single personal project.

lata

GreenMarine3DR

January 26, 2001, 03:55 PM

Don't open source your work! Fight the lazy slashdot programmer movement. Instead of giving away your work make a game out of it and sell it. Or take it to developers.

If you are capable of developing a complete 3D engine and you want an industry job, but don't have one, its your own failing. The demand for talented programmers is at an extreme high.

PsyVision

January 26, 2001, 05:24 PM

Wow, nice engine it all looks very good indeed. Maybe you should sell it maybe not, do join the industry though :) as you would continue making ace engines. The images on your site are very good too, how did you learn to do that ? (hehe, very good thu)

Slade

January 26, 2001, 05:33 PM

Luke my e-mail is peadar_coyle@ic24.net I want to do an interview with you about this engine and congratulations you are one of a very few elite programmers who can finish something.

p4n1c

January 26, 2001, 05:53 PM

Uh.. It's Brendan Reinhart... Nice try though.

p4n1c

January 26, 2001, 05:58 PM

WTF? Nevermind. They spelled his name differently on the 3D Realms page, then it's spelled like yours in the Meet the Crew. =] My apologies.

GreenMarine3DR

January 26, 2001, 09:01 PM

I assure you that I know how to spell my own name. :P

DirtyPunk

January 27, 2001, 02:26 AM

Tis a cool shot, and very complete. Luke works damn hard :) Or something :)

I've got to be nice - he's here right now with sharp objects in reach...