Submitted by Michael Black, posted on January 23, 2001

Image Description, by Michael Black

Today's "Blob Map" made me search through my Way Back files for this little guy. It's a program that I onced used to genereate political boundaries for a map after the terrain was generated.

The black area in this shot is a bay or an ocean and the colors are countries or territories.

The source code is in MFC and is very simple (probably 100 lines). If anyone would like to see it, I can put up a link.

-Michael Black

Vorteks

January 23, 2001, 04:06 PM

Looks cool! I'd be interested in seeing that code. I don't know much about algorithims like these and I'd probably learn a lot from it.

tcs

January 23, 2001, 05:03 PM

Looks like this blob map stuff could be really interesting for terrain texturing ! ;-)

Tim

Mark Friedenbach

January 23, 2001, 05:06 PM

Reminds me of the game RISK.

iMalc

January 23, 2001, 05:18 PM

Looks alright. For that detail level you could have omitted the "count" dialog box and shrunk the image and fit say 4 different runs on one image.
How hard would it be to make it colour the map using only 4 different colours? I know it can be done. Perhaps you could search for the algorithm to do that on the net.
It would have been even more interesting if it demonstrated that algorithm as well.

Bagheera

January 23, 2001, 05:29 PM

CODE CODE GIVE US THE CODE!

CGI Joe

January 23, 2001, 10:00 PM

.. certainly a handy piece of code .. but is it just me, or are all the "blobs" leaning to the left?

Amitt Mahajan

January 23, 2001, 11:54 PM

the sad thing is I actually tried to click the ok button on that message box...pathetic.

Lucid

January 24, 2001, 01:59 AM

thats okay, I still have to remind my mom often, too often not to click on those ads that do that...

BTW, just noticed google took off their logo, go look... strange, hope that doesnt stay like that..

Buster

January 24, 2001, 02:13 AM

OK, here is the source code to the above program. It's pretty simple, so I hope you'll excuse the lack of comments in the code! :)

There are basically 2 steps.

1. seed phase: starting in the middle and going out, each square has a % chance of being the same color or changing.

2. glob phase: make sure each splotch of color is at least MinSize pixels.

It's old, it's MFC, and it's skanky; but maybe there's something you can yank from it!

haust

January 24, 2001, 06:47 AM

thanks 4 da source ;) all landscape-engine coders know what i'm saying ;)

Francis Shanahan

January 24, 2001, 09:38 AM

NICE, reminds me of a game I used to play on my Atari 128xe. I remember it was called something way out there like "Global Thermo-Nuclear War" or something like that. Does anyone remember that game?

Raspberry

January 24, 2001, 10:21 AM

You managed to get the regions to affix themselves to the coast? I'm impressed. Gotta download the code. You say there is a minumum region size, so how does it determine how big the countries on the borders are?

SigmundSEGV

January 24, 2001, 12:41 PM

Thanks for posting the source. I thought you might be using a kind of flood-fill algorithm, but I don't see any recursion there in the code where I guessed it might be... I don't understand your algorithm yet. :-)

[Note to moderator: I accidentally posted an "alert" for the above (parent) message. It is obviously about as on-topic as it could be, and I apologize for any inconvenience! Slip o' the index finger...]

fluffy

January 24, 2001, 12:48 PM

They're all Socialist countries.

ld0d

January 24, 2001, 02:16 PM

And I pressed space two(!) times to get rid of the message box :P

fluffy

January 24, 2001, 10:56 PM

Hehe, I don't have trouble like that...

Then again, dialog boxes in Linux look nothing like in Windows, so it's hard to make that mistake. :)