Submitted by Thomas Mathys, posted on January 21, 2001

Image Description, by Thomas Mathys

this is a little screenshot of the texture generator i coded recently. it's mainly intended to generate textures for intros. at the moment the code is 4900 and some bytes big (unpacked). not bad, i think :)

well, i guess i should now either write an editor or at least some kind of program that translates human readable descriptions of the textures into the byte code for the generator...

thomas mathys

Lion V

January 21, 2001, 03:21 AM

Hmm....
looks sorta alien.
I wonder is someone could use that algorithim to make ships.
All ships i see look very human, you see.
~V'lion

DirtyPunk

January 21, 2001, 04:53 AM

Those look really funky, and well actually spectacular to have the gen routines in 4k. I wish I wasn't looking at 4am though, it gets hard to tell if those trippy colours are the shots or my brain.

Still, either way I like the shot :) Its Uber impressive. What techniques did you use? Some noise, swirls, plasma and some sort of phong based lighting?

Lourens Veen

January 21, 2001, 05:47 AM

Well there's definitely bumpmapping in there, on the top two textures. And indeed, especially the upper left one would be great for an organic-shaped alien ship.

Lightsaber

January 21, 2001, 07:00 AM

Compliment ... these shots look very sweet, especially the upper two. Really good work and nice choice of colors.

C ya
Lighty

Machin Shin

January 21, 2001, 08:46 AM

ooh, my first IOTD post :) ..

i gotta agree with DirtyPunk, these shots do have a trippy feel to 'em :) ..
Still, they do look neat..
though in this set of shots, only the two on the top would really fit well for the hull of an alien ship..the bottom two wouldn't work in that context imnsho..

--vat

sagacity

January 21, 2001, 09:07 AM

It's probably some tileable plasma, twirled. Then you take that pic, emboss it and multiply it with the original pic. You'll end up with the top-right pic.

Blaze

January 21, 2001, 09:08 AM

About the upper-left image, what effects is that? I can see there's some kind of emboss on it, but how are those round circles generated?

It's damn neat that it fits into 4,9kb, it can't be much once you use an exe packer.

Is it written in asm, c or a mix?

tom

January 21, 2001, 09:21 AM

dirtypunk :
yes, i use only a few patterns, such as noise, plasma and so and i've got lots of filters do distort those patterns. in the lower left image you can clearly see that it is distorted with a swirl.

blaze:
this texture is some kind of voronoi diagram which is distorted by a plasma. i was impressed myself, because i didn't expect to get something like that :)

Graham Clemo

January 21, 2001, 09:29 AM

Nice looking textures.

Now let's see them animated! :-)

Ashe

January 21, 2001, 01:16 PM

It's me or those textures can tile ?

Blaze

January 21, 2001, 03:52 PM

Why shouldn't they tile, that's the entire idea :)

tom

January 21, 2001, 04:00 PM

yeah, you're right, that's the idea :)

btw, this stuff is coded in c, but with a lot of inline assembler

Mattijs

January 21, 2001, 05:03 PM

Wow, a texture generator to enable you to make Day of the Tentacle 3D. Or is it just me having that association?

Raspberry

January 21, 2001, 06:29 PM

I really lke this, and as I am working on a texture generator for our in-game graphics (specifically the textures on custom clothes for players), was wondering if you were going to share the source, or at least point us in the direction of the algorithms that you used for building the tiles?

Kezza

January 21, 2001, 06:43 PM

I personally found the bottom two pictures the most attractive, because of the way you could make a 'warp' effect like the one in freespace (which was VERY spectacular, watching the lucifer jump in scared the death out of me!!).
How long does this kind of texture genertation take at load time? Because i think i may just 'have' to make something like this myself if its not too great a hit on loading times.

Vorteks

January 21, 2001, 10:55 PM

Sweet. The top-right pic kinda reminds me of cells dividing.

Cybok^Guideline

January 22, 2001, 07:21 AM

texture&sound&mesh generating is da bomb. I allways find it intriging (typo) to see that a small amout of source is able too generate an awfull lot of high quality data.

Keep up the good work, I realy like the one below-right.

Johnny Svensson

January 22, 2001, 10:22 AM

Well, i think i can enlighten you guys alittle..
first of all, i dont think he is using bumpmap on the two images ontop, let me tell you what i think..
1. first he creates the texture.
2. he copies it onto a new layer.
3. he uses emboss on the te new layer.
4 he is using some kind of "shade" on the new layer, something like
for x=0 to 255
for y=0 to 255
{
val=embossed_layer[x+y*256];

if val>=128 newcol=255, add=true;
if val

Sdw

January 22, 2001, 10:24 AM

Realtime texture generating is great, you can get some amazing results. The lightsourced textures on the top two shots look very interesting!
The only problem with this kind of generating textures is that it can take a couple of seconds if you need to generate many and/or big textures that uses many layers of effects.

Btw. a good example of realtime generated textures, sounds etc. in action is the winning 64k intro from TP00. It's worth checking out:

Squint

January 22, 2001, 10:44 AM

The bottom right one is a gorgeous marble effect, IMHO :o)

May we see the algorithm? Instead of trying to guess it? (I can handle perlin noise - I cant do those images up there with it)

I suppose I should read through the source code for povray sometime...

Rui Martins

January 22, 2001, 12:19 PM

I like Procedurally generated textures, especially when they actually look good ;)
I love that bottom-left texture, and the top ones definitly resemble something alien like.

I just would like to know out to generate them so that they could tile.
Is there any trick with maths or something to do with the modulo of dimensions of the to be generated texture.

Also a nice algo to make, already made textures, tilable would also be great. I don't really like the mix/blur edges solutions, comonly used.

See ya

tom

January 22, 2001, 12:33 PM

well, for all those who want to know more how to make this stuff, read the article by ile/aardbey which was published in hugi #18.

this article covers everything you need to get started (also how to make your stuff tilable), the rest is just trial and error.

if you've read this article and you have still a question, you can send me an email.

Johnny Svensson

January 23, 2001, 12:28 AM

Rui Martins: well, as long as u always calculates your textures with values that ranges between 0..255 (preferably numbers like ,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256) your textures will most likely tile..
i try to use those values as much as possible in my texgen (when using sine/cosine tables, values should range between 0..255).
Just play around abit with numbers..

Martijn Stoffels

January 25, 2001, 06:22 PM

Heh, if anyone is interested at all: A guy at the company where I work made a ready to use texture editor/generator, you can download it here: ftp://ftp.scene.org/pub/demos/groups/aardbei/atg2.zip

[Insert shameless plug]

We're currently developing this technique along with others to build a kickass screensaver creation kit, you can find more info at www.gizmozone.com and www.shortcut.nl

[End shameless plug]

Martijn

Johnny Svensson

January 26, 2001, 08:50 AM

martin: yep.. ile's texgen rules.. ;)

Ileaardbei

February 05, 2001, 09:24 AM

yup it surely does ;-0

new version rules about 100 times as much

Johnny Svensson

February 07, 2001, 07:44 AM

so, when will the next version be available?
(standalone texgen with editor, no screensaver creationkit ;)
//Mind^DXM

Ileaardbei

February 13, 2001, 09:50 AM

rather soon, actually.

only you're gonna have to pay for it muahahah ;)

Johnny Svensson

February 14, 2001, 08:34 AM

hoho :)

L.e.Denninger

February 14, 2001, 08:41 AM

My texturegenerators work pretty well too, they create even cooler textures than yours..

Only mine need to be fed, clothed, and paid a full artist-salary :)