Submitted by William Garrison, posted on January 11, 2001

Image Description, by William Garrison

This is a capture from "Node" a demo created by myself and "Tronster" (http://www.tronster.com), then submitted to the COMA2 demo competition. (http://www.crosswinds.net/~coma2/indexe.htm)

This shot is part of the ending scene and was generated using my GeoGL library, which is a simple library for drawing and managing objects in 3D space. The image in the corner is slightly later in the demo, and is the only use I've ever had for 1D textures. :) The source code for GeoGL and to our demo are available at http://www.mobydisk.com/mobyware/geogl.html

You can see the other entries to COMA2 at ftp://ftp.scene.org/pub/parties/2000/coma00

Vorteks

January 11, 2001, 01:03 PM

Looks cool. I've always liked "inside the computer" shots. What's a one-dimensional texture?

Nick

January 11, 2001, 01:11 PM

I think the 'rays' you see in the top-right corner are done with just one row (or column) of texels. That's only one dimension so you'll need something like a 1D texture.

I could be very wrong...

Nick

January 11, 2001, 01:20 PM

The screenshot looks very promising!

The motherboard looks a bit blurred compared to the other components. It could be the (relative) low texture detail or the mip-mapping. It might look sharper without bilinear filtering...

Very nice job,

Nick

P.S: Is everybody downloading the demo at the same time or is the server a little slow? ;)

MC BAXTON

January 11, 2001, 01:25 PM

pure nonsense

Nick

January 11, 2001, 01:26 PM

And the reason... ?

BigBen

January 11, 2001, 01:34 PM

test

Ogotay

January 11, 2001, 01:37 PM

Sorry Nick, I usually never admit with MC BAXTON and I still think his post was not necessary, but I think he's right somehow (even if he could express it kindier, but I think he's just too kewl to be nice whuahaha *that was ironic MC BAXTON no you're not kewl in my eyes ;)* )... You surely wanted to say something nice about the shot (and it is nice) but your comment sounds like saying: "It's wet when it's raining..." ;) Sorry, you know I surely don't want to offend you (I never offend anybody, I'm such nice guy hihi ROFL) and MC BAXTON: don't take it as opportunity to say something stupid next...

BigBen

January 11, 2001, 01:39 PM

I like the picture...
Although the mentioned texture blur is really very disturbing!

Although I don't like the different-screenshots-in-one-picture screenshots.
Sure, sometimes they help. But they dont't give a nice style
and destroy the atmosphere of the picture a bit.

Ogotay

January 11, 2001, 01:47 PM

UFf, errororororor did I say "admit" in my above post? Of course I wanted to say "...usually I never AGREE with MC BAXTON..." instead of "...usually I never ADMIT with MC BAXTON...". *boing*

BustaX

January 11, 2001, 01:51 PM

I doubt anyone understood a word of your previous message anyway, are you agreeing with MC that you think this picture is "pure nonsense" ?

Nick

January 11, 2001, 01:55 PM

I'm very sorry but I'm still not completely getting it.

Why did MC BAXTON write "pure nonsense"?

Was it because he thinks the IOTD sucks (again), because my comments about the motherboard were too obvious or because of my P.S?

Yours cincerely,

Nick

BustaX

January 11, 2001, 02:08 PM

And the reason... ?

Who the hell cares? You know MC just comes here to piss people off and laugh when a gigantic thread happens because of him. You know he doesn't really hate every picture because he wouldnt visit every damn day if. My guess is that bothering people makes him happy so just ignore him, hey that's a fine idea, right, how about a feature for these forums where we can ignore message trees started by specific people? People just looking for attention would lose the attention they love so much, very quickly.

Anybody who runs the demo, knows its very far from being pure nonsense
Good work.....

Ogotay

January 11, 2001, 02:10 PM

Argh, no I did NOT MEAN THE PIC SUCKS. And I am not sure if MC BAXTON meaned what I think he wanted to say... dammit did not want to start another discussion here, we had similiar in the past and all hated them grrr. Next time I just shut up if I have someting to say :(. I just mean

> The motherboard looks a bit blurred compared to the other
> components. It could be the (relative) low texture detail or the
> mip-mapping. It might look sharper without bilinear filtering...

is something William surely have seen and realized by himself already at design time and had to have a good reason to take a smaller texture or this rendering/filtering type (saving texture memory? gaining more speed?)... So pointing it out to him would not bring anything on constructive critisizm to the discussion imo... But I can't read William's or MC BAXTON's thoughts... On the other side that was what I thought when reading your comment, and when I read MC BAXTON's post I had the feeling he had the same thoughts, he just put them a bit... hmm you know yourself...

Moby Disk

January 11, 2001, 02:15 PM

Exactly correct. Anybody else ever use a 1D texture? I didn't understand them until Tronster explained it, and mentioned how it could be used as a quick mask for something like this.

Moby Disk

January 11, 2001, 02:19 PM

You are right! I'll have to try it without the bilinear filtering. The texture was taken from an online review of a P3 motherboard. :) The resolution was really quite bad, and it was heavily jpeg'd. It might look more "technological" if it had hard edges on the details.

The real solution is to get a better scan. But then I might have to rearrange the locations of the slots and stuff. :)

MC BAXTON

January 11, 2001, 02:20 PM

Just to explain the situation:

I wrote that about picture, not about your comments, Nick. I personally do not want to offend anybody. Simply I have no reason, why I should do it.
If I'd look only at every iotd's engine, I possibly could often say: wow, it's cool ! But game can't be just mechanics. It's art as well. If engine is bad itself, or just use of engine sux, it is bad. As you see it's not easy do it good. So let's try.

Nick

January 11, 2001, 02:21 PM

I've been thinking about MC BAXTON this way too, I just wanted to give him another chance to defend himself.

I think I'm too kind to people like him...

Ogotay

January 11, 2001, 02:22 PM

Hmm, I see I was wrong about MC BAXTON's intentions... hmmm...

Moby Disk

January 11, 2001, 02:23 PM

It's funny how the message boards get filled with "meta-discussions" -- discussions about the discussion. :)

As for the obviousness, 'tis true that I knew it was a bad texture, but I hadn't thought of removing the bilinear filtering. So in the end, the comment was actually quite valid.

Actually, I'm glad for all the little comments. They make it look like the discussions is really brewing! "Wow, that IOTD has 56 comments! Lets go look at that. :)" I'm just giddy that people like it at all.

Ogotay

January 11, 2001, 02:23 PM

But now it's my turn to ask. Why do you think this pic sucks MC BAXTON? What's wrong about it that you could do better? Please enlighten me?

Nick

January 11, 2001, 02:26 PM

Ok, sorry, it's a bit my fault.

I tried to write something constructive but I failed. How many people have said something really good or at least tried? Surely not MC BAXTON...

Ogotay

January 11, 2001, 02:31 PM

You surely don't have to excuse Nick. If someone should it's me, 'cause I thought I can interpret someone's thoughts but it seems it's only in god's hand ;). But I learn from mistakes. I will never try to do MC BAXTON a favour, he's indeed not worth it, he proved it to me with this one sentence: "I wrote that about picture, not about your comments, Nick. I personally do not want to offend anybody." I wonder if he actually realizes that now he offends the creator of the IOTD?

MC BAXTON

January 11, 2001, 02:33 PM

If I start to talk, I often get misinterpreted. You do not need any explanation.

Ogotay

January 11, 2001, 02:35 PM

Yes, you're right, but other than you think. I made the fault trying to explain someone other's words, and I realize now I don't have the right to it either.

MC BAXTON

January 11, 2001, 02:39 PM

And again:

If I say that picture sucks, I do not say that creator of iotd sucks. Absolutely not. There are(should be) little diference between programmer and his iotd. Programmer had no time, he was too busy to do it good, he was just amateur ... etc. His pic sux. What's not clear ?

Nick

January 11, 2001, 02:40 PM

You don't have to excuse either. If someone should it's MC BAXTON who has to excuse to William.

I know you are a cool guy Ogo ;)

Ogotay

January 11, 2001, 02:43 PM

Wow, thanks Nick :)))). Can only give it back =).

Nick

January 11, 2001, 02:47 PM

I've seen the demo now and I must say it's really amazing! The title was also very well chosen ;)

Well, I don't have anything constructive to say any more, this thing is perfect as it is.

See ya,

Nick

Ogotay

January 11, 2001, 02:49 PM

I can only say I tried to download the demo but I got about 56Byte/sec (!!!) -> around 900Byte/sec (in best case rofl) download rate with ADSL (!!!). So I just gave up after view minutes :-/.

MC BAXTON

January 11, 2001, 02:55 PM

Nick & otogay: don't you feel like flooding the iotd ? Are you sure that you're not offending William if you do not talk about his iotd ?

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 4 ... out of 4) Next Last