Submitted by Stephan Prohaszka, posted on January 05, 2001

Image Description, by Stephan Prohaszka

About a year ago i started to code an OpenGL Particle Engine. It features a simplified type of collision detection, using Primitives (such as Spheres, Boxes, Planes and Cylinders), besides Motion Blur and Blending and some different particle-modifiers, used for gravitation, explosions, swarming, bubble-motion etc.

I've made a Screensaver out of it, too, also called Shiva. You can download it at http://crow.riot.org (my personal homepage) in the download-section or at http://www.3dfiles.com/screensavers/shiva.shtml. Stephan Prohaszka aka crow^riot crow@riot.org http://crow.riot.org

Vorteks

January 05, 2001, 12:27 PM

OOOOOhhhhhh!! Pretty! I Love it! How can I get this as my screensaver? Looks like your using 3D points combined with some kind of 2D area sampling?

Vorteks

January 05, 2001, 12:29 PM

...of course after I read your comments more carefully I realized you already answered my questions. Sorry. :-)

L.e.Denninger

January 05, 2001, 12:54 PM

I AM SURROUNDED BY IDIOTS!!!
I can make a better particlesystem then that..!!

onno

January 05, 2001, 12:55 PM

but their english is better ;)

Willem

January 05, 2001, 12:57 PM

very nice. I like the fountain.

EGreg

January 05, 2001, 12:59 PM

Nice particle engine. Did you code it for the whole year? Or just on and off?

I can write much better comments. I am just not trying. No, really!

-Greg

Mace

January 05, 2001, 01:28 PM

"I can make a better particlesystem then that..!!"

Well, learn to spell first.

Rui Martins

January 05, 2001, 01:31 PM

No need to say anything more, or do I ?

STOP THIS NONSENSE !

See ya

Betelgeuse

January 05, 2001, 02:11 PM

"One of the principal Hindu deities, worshiped as the destroyer and restorer of worlds and in numerous other complementary forms. Shiva is often conceived as a member of the triad also including Brahma and Vishnu."

Th demo is very cool. Just wish you had simply zipped it up instead of making it a self-installing binary (rather annoying).

I particularly (no pun here, folks!) like the snow, though I felt the rain was not very convincing (the droplets should be round and more bubblegum colour than blue). Anyway I think this'd be neat atmospheric effects in FPS's etc. As well as the obvious environmental stuff like fountains and lava.

Just wondering. Are you using MIP mapping properly? It seems to slow down on insane resolutions a little... Heheh.

Later,

- Betelgeuse

lodnem

January 05, 2001, 02:42 PM

This is a nice demo. I really like the waterfall.
Rain does resemble shag carpet in a draft, rain isn't really blue but it's still a nice effect.

Good job.

"Surrounded by clones..."
"I could make a way better EGreg than that"

cgk

January 05, 2001, 03:05 PM

Nice Particle FX. How does Collision Detection work? isnt this very slow with so many particles?

anyway.. Well, that are for sure the most amazing posts i've ever seen! Good work! j/k

MC BAXTON

January 05, 2001, 03:51 PM

Hey ! It looks like particle effect ! But... mind the gap ! Maybe you need more particles ?
What effect you're trying to show in the picture at the bottom left ?
BTW, I can only understand waterfall effect, it's not clear what's going on in other pictures.
How the hell you managed to care about Shiva ?

MC BAXTON

January 05, 2001, 04:05 PM

One more post is here:

I've downloaded your Shiva Screensaver. Usually I don't care about screensavers, I never use it. Today (I do not know why) I decided to change my mind and installed it.

It DOES NOT WORK ON WIN2K !
I hate it. But still nobody can change my love for win2k.

sulphur

January 05, 2001, 04:17 PM

A great IOTD, I find particle systems very fastinating, although they can range from simple to quite advanced effects, I found the gamasutra.com article by Buckshag on particle system's to be quite enlightning, its quite amazing what you can use particles for, snow, rain, smoke, and loads of other things! Its not often that a 3d title doesn't use them, with any luck, the screensaver will work on my lousy 3dcard, *growls at 3dfx and opengl compatibility*

Anyway, slight off-topic note, did anyone see Cybernet on telly last night? (UK viewers! :) They did a feature with Lionhead Studio's, and black and white looks hot! oh, and it has cool particles. :)

cheers

EGreg

January 05, 2001, 04:47 PM

So, how do you do collisions? Per-particle or do yuo subdivide somehow?

-Greg

"I do not respond to foolish comments like these. I can write much better comments and responses to my comments."

remo

January 05, 2001, 05:33 PM

EGreg your website doesn't work. Fool.

and besides where you end up very much depends on which direction you start off in

Chiguire

January 05, 2001, 06:01 PM

I AM SURROUNDED BY IDIOTS!!
I can make a better comment than that..!!

Wayne Marsh

January 05, 2001, 06:02 PM

Oh man, c'mon..

..it's even less funny when it's not even your gag.
You must have posted this expecting to be flamed?

BlindSheep

January 05, 2001, 06:32 PM

Well, that are for sure the most useless IOTD comments i've ever seen! Good work!

Alexander Blach

January 05, 2001, 08:00 PM

It does work on Win2k. I just had to download the GLUT .dll.

EGreg

January 05, 2001, 08:09 PM

And the othetr way around, too, I'm sure.

What website are you talking about? gamecode.tripod.com?

EGreg

January 05, 2001, 08:15 PM

Okay. Now I seem to have "upgraded" my flipcode.com forum account, and you can see my correct information, remo (and whoever else :)

Cheers,
Greg

crow^rt

January 05, 2001, 08:18 PM

no no, the year means, that i've started to code it a year ago, but i did not spend all the time on it, just a few hours a week, when there was time left besides working ...

crow^rt

January 05, 2001, 08:20 PM

i use per-particle collision...

crow^rt

January 05, 2001, 08:22 PM

then show off your skills and don't just flame around, ok?

Blaze

January 05, 2001, 10:26 PM

I was just wondering, how many times does Vorteks check flipcode each day. Don't you have something better to do Vorteks?

bgl

January 05, 2001, 11:42 PM

dis iz da m0st amasing tr3ad on fl1pc0d !!1!
r0x0rz

EGreg

January 05, 2001, 11:50 PM

Okay, guys, stop picking on the guy. I think he's had enough. He just wanted to continue the gag, I guess.

Plus, something tells me he is not a native English-speaker, so he may have found it funnier. (Sorry if I'm wrong.)

-Greg

EGreg

January 05, 2001, 11:58 PM

"I can make a better comment than that!"
Don't just say it! Do it! hehehehehehe

-Greg

PS: I am surrounded by intelligent people. Freaky.

Vorteks

January 06, 2001, 01:07 AM

I check flipcode between 2 and 7 times a day. Usually I am at work and getting paid to do it too. :-) Yes, I do have something better to do (work, for example), but looking through the forums dosn't take long.