Submitted by Giuliano Cornacchiola, posted on January 04, 2001

Image Description, by Giuliano Cornacchiola

HI!
This image is been made by Now3D...a 3DEngine written in VisualBasic6 (no DirectX or OpenGL).
Bye! Bye!
Now3D : http://www.now3d.net

Vorteks

January 04, 2001, 02:29 PM

I downloaded Now3D befire but I didn't like it because it only worked with it's own proprietary file format. What use is a modeller that can't load .3DS files?

Nice image though.

Mace

January 04, 2001, 02:34 PM

nice work.
Looks photo realistic.

lightwave_fan

January 04, 2001, 03:18 PM

Please tell me you're the guy that originally did that image with Newtek's Lightwave (a better version of this image is featured on Newtek's website). If you're not, at least give credit to the original author.

MC BAXTON

January 04, 2001, 03:49 PM

It looks really cool ! You stoled really nice image to post here. Thanks...

MC BAXTON

January 04, 2001, 04:03 PM

OOPS ! I did it again.You stole really nice image to post here. (If it is still not correct, you correction are welcome.)

remo

January 04, 2001, 04:03 PM

is that realtime?

MC BAXTON

January 04, 2001, 04:07 PM

I'm sure that is not real time. Have you rendered those trees'n rocks in background as well ?

Jukka Liimatta

January 04, 2001, 05:29 PM

Speaking of Newtek, check out www.newtek.com -- I wouldn't recommend downloading + running the trojan(s)?...

EGreg

January 04, 2001, 05:32 PM

I SEE MORE IDIOTS.

Listen, those trees in the back are so unrealistic, I can't believe it. And what's up with that skull, the edges are so pixelated, oh maybe it's my display. Anyway, I can make a much better skull than that.

Do you do the shadows? Is the background pre-rendered? What is rendered in realtime?

Oh, who am I kidding. I DON'T CARE! I'm gonna go away now and laugh about this image. I am surrounded by idiots.

Enjoy,
Greg

BustaX

January 04, 2001, 05:47 PM

My message to Greg again

DooMWiz

January 04, 2001, 05:55 PM

EGreg,
It's just not funny anymore.

EGreg

January 04, 2001, 05:57 PM

Actually, I would have stopped earlier, except I had no indication of how much some people hated my posts. As I said in the previous IOTD forum:

===== quoting =====

Wow, I didn't see what kind of ruckus my post caused until I came back the following day (today :)

First, I'd like to say that my post was in no way serious. I have simply decided these past few days to become mildly unoriginal and follow in BlindSheep's example of having a running gag after every IOTD. His was, "THIS IMAGE ROCKS", while mine was, "I AM SURROUNDED BY IDIOTS. I CAN DO STUFF MUCH BETTER THAN YOU."

Please don't take this personally. By the way, if someone insults your work without giving any kind of reason why it "sucks", I suggest you disregard that person (unelss 90% of the world is telling you that, even people on drugs). You need constructive comments, whether positive or negative. What use are blind statements like "that sucks," which can refer to anything?

While humor is often appreciated, it verges on inappropriate when there's a chance that people cannot understand it. So, I'll refrain from doing that kind of thing. I thought you guys found this funny. Then, I read the posts today and found out otehrwise. Half of you think it's not.

As far as the IOTD, I actually want to say:
1) I'm actually very impressed with what I see in the images. I rarely download anything on this old comp of mine, but I'm sure the gameplay must be very good as well. For something that yuo've done in your spare time, this is in fact very advanced and good-looking!
2) I would also like to commend you on being game-minded, and not simply trying to create another "engine"... not that there's anything wrong with that. While both are important, I think that the engine is only 50% or less of the whole "work" that goes into making a game. Glad to see you taking the other 50% into your hands.
What do you plan to do with your game?

PS:
The idiots I am surrounded by are not you guys. I was going to say that in the end, but I guess the end is now, so HA. The idiots are, in fact, in the gang that beats me up every day as I pass by their hangouts. Okay, maybe there is no gang. But the idiots are everywhere, you just have to look for them :-

====== end of quote ========

EGreg

January 04, 2001, 06:05 PM

You said the engine was written in VB6, without any OpenGL or DirectX? What do you use to draw? PSet? WinG? Win32 API calls?

Are you texturemapping, and doing everything yourself? In that case, this is very impressive.

I'm guessing the background trees and rocks are photos. If not, wow... they look very photorealistic. And, how did you obtain the skull model?

I went to your site, but I cannot read Italian very well. I saw some screenshots which show that you put alot of work into this. If you really AREN'T using DIrectX, OpenGL or any kind of 3rd party library, I am very, very impressed! ( !, not (!) I don't use that symbol anyway)

Sincerely, (

Warren Marshall

January 04, 2001, 06:40 PM

The thing to remember is this ... it's not humor if you're the only one laughing.

DooMWiz

January 04, 2001, 06:46 PM

EGreg,

Yes, I understand the reasoning behind your posts now, and I admit they were mildly funny and original, *if* you look at them the correct way. The problem is that the "correct way" is not the way most of the entire world would perceive your comments. Just try to be a little more sensitive next time, k? =]

In any case, I really enjoy this image, though it is slightly morbid.

EGreg

January 04, 2001, 06:54 PM

That's the thing entirely. The thing with bulletin boards is that I don't know when someone is laughing at my posts, until I come back the next time and check.

BlindSheep started the whole thing about "THIS IMAGE ROCKS", so I did the stupid thing and began writing "THIS IMAGE SUCKS"... I guess the latter didn't go over very well, and it's not hard to see why =P I guess that's why he was one of the few that got my jokes. ;-)

Well, didn't mean to flame anyone. Most images are really showing off something very impressive, and I respect people for just having the will to put something together that they can show to the world.

-Greg

rakta

January 04, 2001, 06:54 PM

I praise the fact that my long-inanimate skull will never be placed on a smoothed rock surface and put on display such as this poor fellow's skull has.

No libs is a really cool thing, too. But if its realtime, how can you afford to do it that way? The first and fourth backgrounds almost look environment mapped, and that would be a nightmare without hardware acceleration.

Anyway congrats I like it. (Hi mom, this is my first post to flipcode.com. Sorry it has no obscene language, i'll try harder next time)

Wouter

January 04, 2001, 08:17 PM

to all those wondering about the rendering aspects of it: looking at the screenshots on his homepage it seems pretty obvious to me that this is a RAYTRACER, not a 3DENGINE.

if, however, he can get "realtime" framerates on this, using no hw accell, and all written in VB with the kind of lighting as in the image above, well, that would be one very impressive engine :)

Tobias Johansson

January 04, 2001, 08:34 PM

I can assure you that he hasen't stolen that picture. His raytracing engine is really impressive, he has himself helped me alot with raytracing, so think again before you claim he stolen that image.

And Greg, I don't really get your humor...

Greets Tobias

DirtyPunk

January 04, 2001, 09:29 PM

Egreg, we have had enough of your Egregious Egregrian terrets for... well FOREVER.

Cool image - what sort of primitives are you using?

Khrob

January 04, 2001, 09:31 PM

I would just like to say that I feel I am in the minority, as one who actually saw the humour from the first time EGreg posted his standard reply.

If read correctly, the intention can easily be read as 'damn that looks good and I wish I COULD do better,' just as I think every time a new IOTD comes up.

I also understand why people have since found it annoying, but let's not crucify EGreg.. I think he gets the point?

DirtyPunk

January 04, 2001, 09:39 PM

Egreg, we have had enough of your Egregious Egregrian tourettes for... well FOREVER.

Cool image - what sort of primitives are you using?

Khrob

January 04, 2001, 10:23 PM

Cold enough up there DirtyPunk?

Giuliano - That shot does look awfully familiar - do you use the backgrounds to automatically generate lighting conditions or fiddle with the lights manually?

DirtyPunk

January 04, 2001, 11:04 PM

Your "please correct" sentance is wrong. Joke or not?

Oh, and I'de like to point out - Someone who can't seem to get simple grammar/spelling right, probably shouldn't knock anyone's work.

DirtyPunk

January 04, 2001, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the education on the proper spelling of Tourettes rakta.

EGreg

January 04, 2001, 11:51 PM

I think he just takes photos or something else for the backgrounds, blurs them, and only the skull and the pedestal.

Enjoy,
Greg

PS: DirtyPunk, that's Gregarious. Not EGregious :)

EGreg

January 05, 2001, 12:29 AM

Sorry, if that last post made no sense, I meant to say only the skull and pedestal are raytraced. Really nice raytracing, though. And the background effect is dilation, right?

-Greg

fenris

January 05, 2001, 12:55 AM

I think it's a damn slick raytracer. Also, I don't know if anyone noticed,
but under the 'In Development' section of his website he mentions working on
support for lightwave scenes. Maybe this is that code *working*. Just a hunch.
Sure would clear up the source of the image confusion.

Willem

January 05, 2001, 04:38 AM

Looks really nice. The background, is it a skybox of some sort?

Nick

January 05, 2001, 06:25 AM

"I went to your site, but I cannot read Italian very well."

There is an american flag at his site, if you click it the site will be in English.

Regards,

Nick

P.S: Don't make the same mistakes again. There are hundreds of people here and they all interprete your messages a little different. If one of them feels offended he can easily quote some less polite words and give you a really bad reputation before you know it. Don't allow them to do it again and start acting like a grown-up.