Submitted by Tim Auld, posted on January 03, 2001

Image Description, by Tim Auld

Here are a few screenshots from the multiplayer space trader I'm working on in my spare time. Right now it's a pretty standard poly pusher, but I'm planning on having indoor portal rendering for space station exploration and for buildings on the surface, as well as terrain rendering. It has distance based modelled LOD, 3D Studio MAX export/import, decals, turrets, triangle perfect collisions, and lots of nice alpha effects, including a hyperspace tunnel.

There is a technology demo on the web site: http://www.tne.net.au/astro/projects/airlock/index.html

Tim Auld

Vorteks

January 04, 2001, 10:08 AM

I think this image is Sweeeeet. It looks a lot like Homeworld, only the ships would look better textured. Keep up the good work!

L.e.Denninger

January 04, 2001, 10:21 AM

Remo :
You suck, your mother's got a beard and she works in the circus.
(Look, I didn't use "(!)" !!)

Moondevil

January 04, 2001, 10:30 AM

For a game done in spare time, your game rocks !!
It seems very nice, keep the good work

Ashe

January 04, 2001, 10:30 AM

Nice pictures, going to download the demo now.

remo

January 04, 2001, 10:45 AM

look i know it sounds lame but then probably so did *g*

Dantourin

January 04, 2001, 11:47 AM

The screenshots certainly indicate an excellent game. And I agree with lunatic, the space
piracy would be an exciting addition.

I have but one admonition. Years ago, I test played a game called Gazillionaire. The game
was extremely exciting for about the first 20 minutes, but then it was completely boring.
Granted, it was not 3D, and the flights between planets were just animations, but the
interest waned quickly for another reason. The entire game was run by the idea of buy low/sell
high. It seemed like few other principles of economics ruled, and there seemed to be no
progression of the game. Sure, you could make more money, but it got to a point of just playing
for more points, no further challenge, etc. If I have misrepresented Gaz, I am sorry. It is
possible that I played a pre-release version that was not fully developed -OR- I am
remembering the game wrong.

Excellent job so far! I look forward to playing the demo.

remo

January 04, 2001, 12:15 PM

i agree

YYRaVeNYY

January 04, 2001, 12:41 PM

The screenshots look very good. In my opinion you could leave the spaceships without textures. I think the colored polys give your ships a "stylish" look.

MC BAXTON

January 04, 2001, 12:45 PM

This model.. (which is [PAUSED] ) looks quite colorful. And, what's more, it has no textures at all. Howewer, most(..) people love textures...
Laser beams is really nice.
Text you could make nicer. Draw letters with Photoshop, then write your own procedure drawing text, that's all.

I've got 0.0 fps. That's pretty interesting. I've managed to increase it to 1.3 (WOW..) I have PIII 500, 192MB of RAM
I suspect that my accelerator card was NOT recognized. But even in software mode it looks a bit slow...
In your setup screen we would like to see d3d device selection menu. I saw only audio setup, but at this time my speakers was turned off. However, the image setup is more important than sound setup.

I've noticed that sky has *thin black* lines on it. Please mind the gap !
The Plannet Earth should have more polys.

But in overall your game looks almost OK. It just needs some more work on it.
I really wish you to make it better.

Thanks for attention !

Cybok^Guideline

January 04, 2001, 12:45 PM

Remo->
a forum moderator,..hmz..
Anyway, I have already mailed the webmaster dude.
Let's see.

"that none of them actually insult the IOTD. "
so? Your point being?
there is also something called off-topic, or "anoying to most ppl, but not insulting to anyone"

Revolver

January 04, 2001, 01:33 PM

I don't. Warren's right.

n!

January 04, 2001, 01:33 PM

Well, I think the problem is that a text message can never convey sarcasm, so you should always be careful what you type :)

I think it looks great without textures. It gives it a unique look. add mouse control please! ;) (unless I missed the option)

Keep it goin!

n!

rt

January 04, 2001, 01:43 PM

Do they make an "English For Dummies" book yet?

Revolver

January 04, 2001, 01:45 PM

Tim: Looks cool. :)

Regarding derogatory posts: ultimately, it's irrelevant if it's sarcasm. Insulting is insulting.

Personally I could care less, but it does seem more stupid than anything else. It certainly wasn't very humorous; perhaps a clumsy attempt at facetiousness.

Vorteks

January 04, 2001, 01:59 PM

If they made an "English for Dummies" book, what language would it be written in

YYRaVeNYY

January 04, 2001, 02:22 PM

Hi hoh, my english is very bad, but I hope you all can understand what I want to say:

to MC BAXTON:
You are right: Most people really love textures. But I think it's the question why they love textures and don't want to see "naked" polys. Do they all love textures because they think it looks better or do they also have in mind that the performance of their computer/3dcard is counted in multitextured polys? I think it would be possible to write an "eye catching" and even good looking game without any textures. Perhaps a more "techno" or "cartoon-styled" game. In my opinion there will be much more "reduced" games in the future. Just look at newer cartoons or watch some house-music videos on TV. You will see that a good looking picture is not always a rich detailed picture. Newer demos from the demoscene are going this way and I think games will follow(demos are always "trend-setting" for games).

MC BAXTON

January 04, 2001, 02:28 PM

it would still be much better idea than making useless stuff like in most iotd.
However, I can write this:

Durniu pasaulis yra durniams. Todel protingi tegul tyli.

without any errors.
it means: Dumb world is for fools. So another ones should be quiet.

Kurt Miller

January 04, 2001, 02:33 PM

">>can we have a forum moderator, please?"

Active moderation is on the way soon, thanks to a few individuals I've already spoken with. I've received way more than enough complaints over the past few weeks about certain forum users and activities...

YYRaVeNYY

January 04, 2001, 03:20 PM

to MC BAXTON:
Why do you post messages like that ????

EGreg

January 04, 2001, 05:03 PM

I do not respond to foolish comments like these.

I can easily write better comments and responses to my comments.

-Greg

EGreg

January 04, 2001, 05:03 PM

BTW, ...
BlindSheep, this IS fun :)

-Greg

BustaX

January 04, 2001, 05:42 PM

>>>BTW, ... BlindSheep, this IS fun :)

Maybe for you but to everyone else [that is, everyone except BlindSheep] who doesn't understand your superior sense of humor, you're making a damn fool of yourself and ruining your name in these parts. You're NOT funny, and you ARE rotting these forums and this site intentionally. A joke is something that more than 2 rebels can appreciate, so the stupid argument about people being too serious all the time is invalid. Everyone asked you nicely to stop but you refuse. I hope its worth losing everyones respect. I know your probably just going to post some "funny" response to this, but I think eventually you'll realize how stupid and disrespectful you're acting Greg, or maybe we'll get lucky and you'll get banned from these forums.

EGreg

January 04, 2001, 05:48 PM

Wow, I didn't see what kind of ruckus my post caused until I came back the following day (today :)

First, I'd like to say that my post was in no way serious. I have simply decided these past few days to become mildly unoriginal and follow in BlindSheep's example of having a running gag after every IOTD. His was, "THIS IMAGE ROCKS", while mine was, "I AM SURROUNDED BY IDIOTS. I CAN DO STUFF MUCH BETTER THAN YOU."

Please don't take this personally. By the way, if someone insults your work without giving any kind of reason why it "sucks", I suggest you disregard that person (unelss 90% of the world is telling you that, even people on drugs).

While humor is often appreciated, it verges on inappropriate when there's a chance that people cannot understand it. So, I'll refrain from doing that kind of thing.

As far as the IOTD, I actually want to say:
1) I'm actually very impressed with what I see in the images. I rarely download anything on this old comp of mine, but I'm sure the gameplay must be very good as well. For something that yuo've done in your spare time, this is in fact very advanced and good-looking!
2) I would also like to commend you on being game-minded, and not simply trying to create another "engine"... not that there's anything wrong with that. While both are important, I think that the engine is only 50% or less of the whole "work" that goes into making a game. Glad to see you taking the other 50% into your hands.
What do you plan to do with your game?

PS:
The idiots I am surrounded by are not you guys. I was going to say that in the end, but I guess the end is now, so HA. The idiots are, in fact, in the gang that beats me up every day as I pass by their hangouts. Okay, maybe there is no gang. But the idiots are everywhere, you just have to look for them :-)