Submitted by Nate Miller, posted on January 02, 2001

Image Description, by Nate Miller

This is a screenshot of the bezier patch editor that I have been working on in my spare time. It isn't anything great, but it has been fun to work on so far. The screenshot shows the layout of the editor as well as a teacup made up of 26 patches. I didn't create the teacup, I found it on the net and use it for testing.

Right now the editor can create / delete patches (quadratic or cubic), translate / rotate control points, load / save the models you make and other miscellaneous editing features. Once the base features of the editor are done I plan on adding more to it. I am using FLTK (http://www.fltk.org) for the GUI elements and OpenGL to render the edit and 3D views. Source code for the editor will be available once I get more done since one of my main goals is to get the editor running on as many platforms as possible.

If you are interested in more images of the editor they can be found here : http://nate.scuzzy.net/pedit/

nkmiller@calpoly.edu

Vorteks

January 02, 2001, 03:23 PM

Very interesting. I looked at the other shots on your site, and it looks neat. The wireframe of the spoon was epecially cool. I don't think bezier points are enough for most game modelling, but I can see how you could create some neat models with this. I also think it's good that you want it to run on multiple platforms. Will it run without hardware acceleration?

January 02, 2001, 03:49 PM

I haven't tried software redering yet, I will get Mesa and give it a try.

Saad Faisal

January 02, 2001, 05:32 PM

I am not sure about this but when i visit the first time Nate site i was really impressed by his comments that he would welcome anybody to ask him to do a demo and he will post the demo with source code on the site. I really find this kind of behaviour among the developers on rare occassion and i deeply appreicate that.

Second the screen shot looks nice and i really would like to complete Nehe Tutorials and get on to Nate's tutorials. Just one question NATE why should i prefer FLTK over standard GUI(Win32) statements, what are the advantages i will get

* In terms of ease of code
* In terms of ease to get cool effects.

EGreg

January 02, 2001, 06:41 PM

WHOO!!!!! 4th post!!!!!!!!

I am surroudned by dumbasses, but Nate isn't one of them. Nice work, mate. How do you choose which view to manipulate? And, did yuo make those menus yourself?

-Greg

January 02, 2001, 06:48 PM

The big reason I used FLTK was because it is a cross platform library and Win32 of course isn't. I find FLTK easy to use, there is a learning curve just like with Win32, but once you get the hang of it doing stuff is easy. In terms of code, I think you can get a simple FLTK application up and running with less code than you would need in Win32. FLTK is written is C++ though, so you need to understand C++ to use it. Not really sure what you mean by "cool effects", but adding things like menus, buttons, text, sliders, etc is easy. If you are looking for GUI packages check out this site, it has a big list of them.

January 02, 2001, 06:52 PM

You can chose the view you work on either via the menu or a keyboard shortcut. I had a 4 view layout when I first started, but I didn't like it. The menus are all FLTK's work, I just setup the structure that it needs and it does the rest =)

zed zeek

January 03, 2001, 04:15 AM

nice one nate.
speaking in my capacity as a dumbass i believe curves (bezier patches) are the future, because
A/ they describe the geometry perfectly
B/ they scale well CPU/card wise

i just wish i had some more time to look into them

MK42

January 03, 2001, 09:12 AM

The editor looks like it will be extremely usable. I also like how you've organized the elements.

BTW, I also checked out that windowing toolkit. Man I wish I would have discovered it earlier, cause it looks like it would have saved me a ton of troubles I had with MFC for my BezierViewer :)

- MK42

Primey

January 03, 2001, 11:22 AM

WOW nate! i really like that one, its like this demo i wrote once, well, i was GONNA write once, but i thought what the hey ill get nate to do it. anyways, now all i need is that quake 4 demo you promised me ( + SAUCE) . when could you have it done by?

Thanks nate!!

btw, mum says hi

January 03, 2001, 11:34 AM

Hahah I will have the demo for you tonight! Have you started going to the new #flipcode yet?

Primey

January 03, 2001, 11:41 AM

YES. I am there every of the days... it is better because you can have nicks like PrimeyinthesackwithNATEMILLER n stuff. its really funn!!

(this is my secnd post ever)

Rui Martins

January 03, 2001, 12:10 PM

Hi Nate,

How do you match two surfaces, so that they meet exactly independently of the number (level) of triangles used ?

Do they have to share the edge control points ?

Refer to the spoon image to see what I mean, How is the matching achieved ?

Thanks, for any input in advance.

See ya

January 03, 2001, 03:00 PM

Right now if you want the patches to fit together you need to create two patches and place them right next to each other so their control points line up. This is by no means a good method to use, but it will change. Once I get things finished I plan on adding code so you can attach patches to each other. By attaching them they will have common control points and you won’t have to worry about re-aligning the patches if you move them around.

Having two surfaces next to each other that are subdivided to different levels is something that I still need to tackle. My editor subdivides all patches to the same level no matter what. I don't see this is a big problem since the editor is more for small objects and not large terrains.

Vorteks

January 03, 2001, 04:51 PM

Speaking of #flipcode, I've been trying to get on, but I can't find any information on what IRC server I should be connecting to. Anyone have any info?

January 03, 2001, 05:04 PM

There are a list of servers in this thread : http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/msg.cgi?showThread=00000131&forum=randombits&id=-1

MC BAXTON

January 03, 2001, 05:33 PM

16-th post (it's nicer number than 4-th:)

Now we see the new wave of Bezier editors. That's very nice, but ... still nothing. You are boring, people.

January 03, 2001, 06:08 PM

What would make it "something" then?

BustaX

January 03, 2001, 06:27 PM

>>>>That's very nice, but ... still nothing. You are boring, people

If anything around here is boring its your useless mini-insults to people on these forums who are doing awesome things. Where are your thrilling Images? That's what I thought...

DirtyPunk

January 03, 2001, 10:57 PM

Your procedurelly animated and lit cubic bezier patch with texture demo on my desktop on monday.

By my judge of these things, (and from what Kurt tells me :) there is quite a pipeline full of IOTDs, so this editor shot might even have gone in before the other one came out.

So maybe, just maybe, two people were working on a similar thing at once, and they both sent in screenshots of their work before they could stop and say "oh my god, there is another girl in the SAME shoes as me, like BUMMER!", or something similar.

Thats right, you are the bitchy cheerleader in the teen movie.