Submitted by M.Knuth, posted on January 01, 2001

Image Description, by M.Knuth

I'm working on my engine again. I've updated my sky-rendering-engine, so I can render different times on a day continuosly (I set the position of the sun and ist does the rest). The new thing is the cloud renderer. It renders Clouds in dependency of time (The Clouds change over the time) The next think will be an CSG-performer,(I hope I can create buildungs again , soon)

wbr.
M.Knuth

Garrett

January 01, 2001, 03:37 PM

That's a pretty neat idea and it yields a fairly keen result. What're the bricks there for, though?

Saad Faisal

January 01, 2001, 05:07 PM

What is a CSG-Performer???

It is one hell of a shot BTW even though i don't know how many FPS that it is rendering at. Another thing are you planning to do only outdoor scenes with the engine or indoor is achievable..

SLUDGE

January 01, 2001, 05:37 PM

What do you mean by having such a flat wall? It all looks very impressive, but it seems like you're depending on both sides of a poly being rendered to show two sides of a wall. :)

ps. That's how I did my first Doom levels when I was learning Deu years and years ago.

DirtyPunk

January 01, 2001, 06:23 PM

That is a cool shot :) Only problems I can see are coming from this crappy LCD and the low resolution of the portable machine I have here.

Are you planning on using some sort of CSG operations to put the buildings into your landscape properly (ie, without your landscape cutting through your buildings? (It was a little unclear from your statement, but the words "CSG" and "buildings" appeared together...)

Maz

January 01, 2001, 07:24 PM

Thats quite an impressive shot.. i love the way
the top of the hill at the topright faded out, looks
really close to the sky..

as the other guys said the walls are a wee bit dodgy
looking with the single poly..

and personally i would have used a more subtle texture
on the landscape.. on the grassy parts, the dark lines
look abit much..

apart from that, its very cool.. and the sky looks great

Countach

January 02, 2001, 08:21 AM

Saad Faisal, CSG means Constructive State Geometry, which yields the ability to use boolean operations on geometry (AND, OR, XOR, NOR).
This is usually used in BSP editors but it can be done realtime as well.

Neat stuff, BTW.
I really like the lighting on the bricks, it seems pretty highres.
What kind of resolution lightmaps do you use?
Also, what occlusion algorithm do you use? (Octrees, BSP's?)

Dennis

January 02, 2001, 08:53 AM

I thought it was Constructive SOLID Geometry. And I thought it worked with addition, substraction and intersection. But I could be wrong.

MK42

January 02, 2001, 09:38 AM

I also think its constructive solid geometry, but the addition, subtraction, etc... can also be viewed as boolean operations.

Regarding the shot, I really like the clouds! How do you generate them?

Keep up the good work,

MK42

Vorteks

January 02, 2001, 10:45 AM

Looks sweet overall, although I agree about the flat walls, and your clouds in the upper picture seem to have a very unusual texture. Still, it's better then my engine. :-)

EGreg

January 02, 2001, 12:54 PM

Nice brick texture, hehehe.... what is that thin wall attached to the right of the building? And is that the grass on top of it?

The landscape looks good, but has noticeable tiling (just being honest). The clouds idea is great, and I wanted to do that myself, actually, (this gives me more motivation, hehehehe). BTW, think about changing hues as the sun goes closer to the earth (the light "bends" more because of the angle of the rays and stuff. :-)

I am still being surrounded by bumbling idiots. Oh well, if you want to do something right, don't do it.

BTW, if you're wondering, it's not you, the poster of the image.
Enjoy,
-Greg

MrDevlin

January 02, 2001, 04:23 PM

I just feel the wind moving ;)
Really cool shot
What do you use to render the landscape??

M.Knuth

January 03, 2001, 06:17 AM

The Landscape is rendered brute force as tiled triangle mesh (8 by 8 triangles per tile)

I don't use Lod techniques, because they are to expensive on my
k6II-500 (and my voodoo3)

I use a detail map (grayscale) and do the coloring with gauraud-shading

the buildung is -as the landscape- rendered in triangle mesh-tiles (I call them "Brushes" and they can be CSGed, because all Brushes are closed (and have an interior and an exterior) (the landscape "brush", too)

the wall is rendered with a bumpmap-algorithm, which is lightmap-based(no the lightmap doesn't have the same extend then the texture it is 16 times smaller (the lightmap) ;))
it works on all grphic-cards, which support two tmu's.

And at last: certainly I can raise and lower the sun bith reddening effects ;) (a sky engline wouldnt make sense otherwise, would it ?)

er.. and the clouds are realtime... I mean they change over the time ...