Submitted by Saad Faisal, posted on December 29, 2000

Image Description, by Saad Faisal

Here is my contribution to Image of the Day. This is the game that i developed in 1997 as my Final year project for my BCS. The lower right screen shot is of editor that i developed for the game. You can download it from "www.download.com" and search for "Mahafiz". It's a preety small file 394K self extracting zipped. The editor is a seperate program and is there in the archive. The artwork is from the famous Sprite Library from Ari Feldman and the level design was done by my batch mate Akhlaq Ahmed.

Vorteks

December 29, 2000, 03:37 PM

Pretty cool. I remember back in the days when all games looked like that. :-) It's a dos game I assume?

Do you still work on games or was that your last one?

Hannu K.

December 29, 2000, 04:05 PM

Yay, looks really nostalgic (in a positive sense :) ). There's never enough vertical scrollers on PC, sigh, I miss those. Raptor, Tyrian.. And no one's doing those anymore.

Alexander Blach

December 29, 2000, 04:58 PM

Well, I downloaded the game.

Not bad. Especially considering the fact it was done in 1997.

But: It doesn't seem to have some sort of time dependence in it. So it ran very fast on my PC. Maybe it is supposed to be that fast and I'm just slow but I don't really think so. :)

Another thing: (maybe it's just me...) "defend India from Pakistan" - is that really a good theme for a game?

Lucid

December 29, 2000, 06:52 PM

"defend India from Pakistan" ... I dunno about its "properness", but it gave me a good laugh...

bit64

December 29, 2000, 07:12 PM

Whats wrong with the theme?

the_only_lorddaha

December 30, 2000, 02:26 PM

Yes what's wrong with the theme? Nobody questions the theme if it's another 'US versus Russia' or 'Anybody versus German Nazi's' theme. So why not Pakistan verus India?

Mace

December 30, 2000, 02:28 PM

cool game.

Ah the shoot em up genre.
Brings back memories of Tyrian, Raptor, R-Type, Super Swiw and Gradius. All great examples of games that plays best in 2d....
at least i think so :)

zeegate

December 30, 2000, 03:11 PM

how bout Battle Squadran for the Amiga500 . .anybody played that? Now that was a game :) Lots of kewl music and really nice gfx . . really kewl . .yaaah . . .

Nice potd btw. I really like those small arcade games. Besides the Ultima 1 project I'm also working on an action boulderdash . . I'll post a picture sometime.

Soren Seeberg aka. ZeeGate

Alexander Blach

December 30, 2000, 04:27 PM

I would.

derailer

December 30, 2000, 04:56 PM

I've often wondered how menus similiar to the picture in the bottom right were made. I'm assuming it is done in C/C++ ( perhaps another language ), but does anyone have any rough idea how? Is a library used or something similiar? the shots look great btw.

Slythic

December 30, 2000, 05:05 PM

It can be done with C/C++, I saw I guy doing a menu like that in my computer class so I know its possible, not sure how he did it though. I think he got some code for it off the net, so do a search on google for stuff like that.

-Tony

MC BAXTON

December 30, 2000, 05:25 PM

"I've often wondered how menus similiar to the picture in the bottom right were made. I'm assuming it is done in C/C++ ( perhaps another language ), but does anyone have any rough idea how? "

Yes, I have "rough" idea, because that's exactly what I was doing when I tried to draw tables in text mode...
If this menu is done in graphic mode, it's done by combining text symbols, to form table. I do not see need for further explanation.
I once tried to make something similar like Norton Commander (oh my God, it was so popular ..) and you'd never could distinguish my interface from NC. I did even menus at the bottom and disk selection menu. It was written on Pascal...

And some words about game:
Not bad. However, I do not care about India, so it's not very actual theme for me, however, I can defend it in game if you like. It's possible that India will feel much safer from now. I try to believe.

Myrmecophagavir

December 30, 2000, 07:42 PM

I assumed they were made exactly the same way as graphic displays. If I remember rightly the text mode buffer started at B800:0000 or something, so you just change the ASCII character at the location you wanted with normal pixel theory, exactly the same way as changing the colour of a pixel.

You could even do double buffering etc. in the normal way, goo clean fun.

Game looks fun by the way, must get on with the download...