Submitted by Neil Marshall, posted on December 23, 2000

Image Description, by Neil Marshall

I thought I'd tease people with my first shot at a 3dsmax plugin. It exports from 3dsmax directly to the Crystal Space world format. Sorry no code is available for download :(

Currently there are quite a few bugs/limitations which I'll hopefully add in the coming days. Right now, none of the textures are exported. I export omni lights, sectors, and things (For people who know how crystal space works). So far I've run into a couple problems. Naimly, Y and Z are different from Y and Z in Crystal Space, so everything came in sideways. Also, I have 3ds max setup to work in mm and crystal space works in m by default, so everything gets exploded to monsterous proportions :)

-Neil Marshall a.k.a WillyWonka

bgl

December 23, 2000, 08:23 PM

Oh, a TEEN-AGE idiot. The best kind. They still think they know
everything, and they still think young age is a perfect excuse for
shoddy work.

Unlike us old geezers who just like putting labels on things and
making sweeping generalizations.

Nate Miller

December 23, 2000, 09:01 PM

Yeah, I agree. It is a shame the people are coming to the IOTD thread just to post mindless blabber and flames. Isn’t that what the “Random Bits” forum is for? Maybe Kurt can assign people who frequent the board and can be trusted to act as moderators. Maybe that would help weed out the useless clutter. The bad thing about all the flames is that it is going to prevent people from sending in their work. It is a shame too, IOTD and the other “Of The Day” features are a great way to get exposure for a project or demo.

Nate Miller

Thr33d

December 23, 2000, 09:52 PM

Congratulations Neil, an excellent piece of work :). I can't really say it's graphically impressive, or that what you're doing is ground breaking.

However, it's a relitivly untouched area of programming and i know I'd like to get some info on it. As for the plugin itself, looks great, if YOU'RE looking for some more info, i think there's some stuff at max3d.com :) also, you might want to upload it on their site (if you haven't already)

-mike

(ps, love the sig dave! *grin* merry christmas everyone)

iCodeSuk

December 23, 2000, 10:28 PM

Also, You have to remember that people learn at different levels and in different ways. Some go for examples, some go straight in to the deep end. I for 1 is going for the Deep end approach and creating a full engine named legacy2. Lacking in much experience, I still hope to include the following features...

*Parametric Surfaces.
*Parametric Actors.
*Some cool Mesh Reduction.
*Bones.
*Ultra Refined Octal visibility system w. Portals.
*HM Landscapes.
*D3D8 and hopefully OpenGL Drivers.
*Some good lighting, with hopefully some nice dynamic FX.
*and Hopefully a method for more consistent speed.

I set my hopes so high. I hope to get an IOTD out there. In the words of eric cartman, "Follow your dreams, you can reach your goals, i'm living proof. Beeeefcake!!"

WillyWonka

December 23, 2000, 10:50 PM

Wow, who would have thunk my little screenshot would start up a conversation like this one? :)

Crystal Space is a free 3d engine available from http://crystal.linuxgames.com or on sourceforge.
Since taking that screenshot I now have it properly exporting the materials and the scale is normal.
I'm currently working on materials which will allow you to specify mirrors and other crystal space specific stuff.

DooMWiz

December 24, 2000, 03:16 AM

Idiot is a complete understatement. Well, thats for sure the most amazing understatement i've ever seen! Good work! =]

remo

December 24, 2000, 03:45 AM

excuse me what's that supposed to mean? my social skills? maybe you need to be a bit more articulate!! i'm afraid that

if you mean my posts on flipCode, it's christmas, and people are supposed to piss around a bit. why does everyone have to be so serious? besides, IF SOMETHING ANNOYS YOU, DON'T READ IT AND MOST OF ALL DON'T REPLY TO IT!

if you are referring to a social life, my social life is very active thank you very much.

maybe i'm the only one who thinks this (though i'm pretty sure BlindSheep does too), but i think it's YOU guys who need to get some social skills and lighten up a bit

remo

December 24, 2000, 03:53 AM

i don't use the fact that i'm young to excuse my shoddy work. i blame it entirely on my stupidity. and i don't think i know it all, in fact the harder i try to make a game the more i realise that it takes phenomenal amounts of experience!

all i was saying was that i, like all the other people on this forum, can't be TOTAL idiots, simply by the fact that we post messages (most of my posts aren't idiotic, alright?) on game development forums!!

besides, just remember this: the teen-age idiots of today will be the stereotypist old geezers of tomorrow

Alexander Stockinger

December 24, 2000, 04:28 AM

So what cool things do you code? If it's really cool it'd be the most astonishing fact I've ever seen.

Lucid

December 24, 2000, 04:45 AM

you all have problems

Wayne Marsh

December 24, 2000, 07:09 AM

Takes one to know one.
No comebacks x1000
naa naa naa naaa naaa

:P

SigmundSEGV

December 24, 2000, 07:25 AM

Well at least EGreg "got it". =-)

BTW, is: "Willy Wonka, if that is your real name, ..." a reference to the Strangelove line, "Sgt. Bat Guano, if that is your real name..." ???

SigmundSEGV

December 24, 2000, 07:32 AM

Okay, just adding a, "mee too". Well said!

remo

December 24, 2000, 07:38 AM

could be... i've just heard other people saying it and it seemed like an appropriate thing to say at the time.

remo

December 24, 2000, 08:03 AM

ok, ok, ok, i apologise for posting mindless blabber - i did it because i was bored and because it seemed like fun at the time - and in fact there were a few people who seem to have enjoyed the joke. i am TERRIBLY sorry for making your lives miseries.

Dave - i totally agree with you, and in fact i did not intend to offend anyone or deride their work - i visit IOTD every day just because i like to see what people have done. i have refrained from posting one of my own because i DO object to people who post half-finished, badly presented and sloppy screenshots, which they sometimes do (this here isn't one of them before anyone starts flaming me again).

WillyWonka - ah yes i thought i'd heard of crystal space before - and indeed your plugin is good work.

an idea i've been thinking about for a while would be some generic export/import plugin which has some sort of simply scripting language which people can compose their own file formats in, and then export their 3ds objects straight into that file format - basically saving them having to write a whole new plugin if they want to make a proprietary model format. maybe you could modify your plugin to do that!

Kasper Fauerby

December 24, 2000, 08:51 AM

Remo:
I've found that the ASE exporter is really useful for modifying to your own format. It gets around alot of MAX's features and it's easy
to cut away the parts you don't need. I used that plugin as base when I created my own binary and engine specific exporter plugin.

Memon:
That'll convert the vertex data alright but there's alot of other
things which also needs to be converted like node transition matrices, animation keys etc.

Kasper Fauerby
www.peroxide.dk

hdmx

December 25, 2000, 05:56 AM

I totaly agree with you. And also I guess there must be a saying like "If you call somebody idiot you're an idiot yourself.". If this did not exist it does now :-)

hdmx

Stefan Karlsson

December 29, 2000, 02:56 AM

wow, how impressing.. but i guess the max sdk with even examples on creating an export plugin for old 3d studio format isnt SO hard to use... right?

Come back with a Ball-To-Real-Nice-Dragons plugin and i will adore you.. And ofcourse i will tell you how it shall look like..
"Big green and verry scary" shall not make a pig.

E.

December 29, 2000, 05:50 PM

I'm also working on a MAX plugin. figuring out the Z-axis issue and dealing with things in world coordinates was a bit of a pain. If you haven't received a workable solution yet, here's one that worked for me. Rotate the world tranformation matrix around the X-axis -90 degrees. (it might be positive 90) For exporting in world coordinates, simply multiply all vertices and points by the new matrix. If your models are going to be translated within your program, then you'll probably want to export everything in local coordinates. However, the rotation above, still works. MAX has a built in function for rotating on an axis. Here's some code:
worldTM = node[0].GetObjectTM(exportTime,NULL);
worldTM.RotateX(DegToRad(-90.0f));

geomData.data[0].getVert(j)*worldTM; hope this helps some. E.