Submitted by Neil Marshall, posted on December 23, 2000

Image Description, by Neil Marshall

I thought I'd tease people with my first shot at a 3dsmax plugin. It exports from 3dsmax directly to the Crystal Space world format. Sorry no code is available for download :(

Currently there are quite a few bugs/limitations which I'll hopefully add in the coming days. Right now, none of the textures are exported. I export omni lights, sectors, and things (For people who know how crystal space works). So far I've run into a couple problems. Naimly, Y and Z are different from Y and Z in Crystal Space, so everything came in sideways. Also, I have 3ds max setup to work in mm and crystal space works in m by default, so everything gets exploded to monsterous proportions :)

-Neil Marshall a.k.a WillyWonka

Wayne Marsh

December 23, 2000, 03:41 PM

Gratuitious teapot :-o

BlindSheep

December 23, 2000, 04:19 PM

Well, thats for sure the most amazing image i've ever seen! Good work!

EGreg

December 23, 2000, 04:34 PM

Ever climb the cliffs of Mount Everest? Or, perhaps, gaze at mount Rushmore or what's left from Mount St. Helens? Perhaps you should see the everglades, look at the great plains of America, or if you don't live in America, try Europe. In general, large vistas of landscape are very pretty.

I have seen many amazing images, and that is not the most amazing. However, I still like it ;-)

-Greg

PS: Let's all send BlindSheep braille photographs of cool places!

Wayne Marsh

December 23, 2000, 04:50 PM

"In general, large vistas of landscape are very pretty."

Actually, I think most of us are sick to death of seeing landscapes here.

Oh, and Egreg, check Blindsheep's previous posts, then you might understand the running joke he's got going on there..

BlindSheep

December 23, 2000, 05:30 PM

EGreg: "Well, now, BlindSheep, that's quite a statement! I guess you don't get out much."
No, i really don't get out. Never. Nature really sucks. Too much oxygene in the air. Too many birds flying around and yelling.
I like to sit in my room, code some cool thinks and smoke far to many cigarettes in the hope to die early and say goodbye to this cruel world.

And i love posting useless comments on random forums.

That's me.

Wayne Marsh : what running gag?

PS: Merry christmas, although i hate all the christmas stuff.

remo

December 23, 2000, 05:30 PM

i'm not sick of seeing landscapes, or even landscape engines, but i am sick of seeing landscape engines which all look exactly the same. i am also fed up of seeing Quake2 BSP level loaders. the other thing i am fed up of seeing is particle system demos... hmm is there anything else i can bitch about? no i don't think so.

ok i'm done.

p.s. i won't say "nice image" cause it's not one, and i won't say "good work" because i don't even know what crystal space is. saying either of those two would be hypocritical. all i will say, Willy Wonka, if that is your real name, is the following: "A stitch in time saves counting your chickens before too many cooks spoil the broth".

remo

December 23, 2000, 05:32 PM

what the fuck is this idiot going on about? shut up dude.

memon

December 23, 2000, 05:32 PM

'Cmon sheeps and other cattle, I guess we have had enough for that that-looks-great-depate. If someone doesnt have anything else to say, then let him/her be.

I have had lots of headache about the fact that 3DS MAX is "wrong handed" too. My solution was to convert the coordinates by swapping the y and z and also negate the new z. In other words:

float mx, my, mz; // from MAX
float x, y, z // to be used in OpenGL

x = mx;
y = mz;
z = -my;

--memon

remo

December 23, 2000, 05:34 PM

what is the matter with you people? look, i felt like writing something different and i immediately get flamed for it! loosen up!

BlindSheep

December 23, 2000, 05:35 PM

Hmm, yes, i agree.

remo

December 23, 2000, 05:37 PM

I would just like to say that I don't agree with the way that Remo disregarded what you said so arrogantly, but i must say that i agree with him. You, sir, are a gibbering baboon, and there is only one place for people like you - Micro$of+. Kindly refrain from posting nonsense like that in future.

remo

December 23, 2000, 05:38 PM

in case you haven't noticed, i'm bored right now, but i guess i'd better stop before kurt kicks me off the flipCode msg boards

BlindSheep

December 23, 2000, 05:41 PM

Wtf? People call *me* an idiot -- i'm curious what they think about *you*.

remo

December 23, 2000, 05:42 PM

Well, thats for sure the most amazing post i've ever read! Good work!

BlindSheep

December 23, 2000, 05:45 PM

Well, that's for sure the most amazing reply i've ever read. Good work!

Mark Friedenbach

December 23, 2000, 05:49 PM

*sigh*

I'm surrounded by idiots.

Wayne Marsh

December 23, 2000, 05:51 PM

THAT running gag!

Eek, I'd better join in..

Well, that's for sure the most running gag reply I've ever seen. Good work!

Wayne Marsh

December 23, 2000, 05:53 PM

Well, I'm no idiot.
I'm just not old enough to know better.

BlindSheep

December 23, 2000, 06:00 PM

Well, thats for sure the most useless thread i've ever seen! Good work!

Lucid

December 23, 2000, 06:33 PM

hmm, just noticed that gamedev's new article is "Loading 3DS Files"... goes along nicely with this...

remo

December 23, 2000, 06:35 PM

it's because we're such good company

i still maintain that i'm sane and it's the rest of the world which has something wrong in the head.

remo

December 23, 2000, 06:38 PM

i *think* most people like me not in spite of the fact that i'm an idiot, but because i'm an idiot

Wayne Marsh

December 23, 2000, 06:44 PM

Flipcode IOTD has been a little mad lately..

Dave

December 23, 2000, 07:29 PM

Actually, I bet people are tired of both FPS demos and landscape demos. The problem is that people forget the true joy of programming:

Peace.

EGreg

December 23, 2000, 08:04 PM

Well, that's just the most amazing...
oh I can't do this.

Peace,
Greg

Warren Marshall

December 23, 2000, 08:06 PM

Just ignore him, he's an idiot.

Warren Marshall

December 23, 2000, 08:08 PM

Yep, and everyone can thank BlindSheep when Kurt disables comments on the IOTD again. :-/

EGreg

December 23, 2000, 08:08 PM

YOU AGREE WITH ME? WHAT KIND OF IDIOTIC THING IS THAT!!!!

Shut up please.

Shut up.

I mean it

Stop reading

DON'T YOU LISTEN

LOOK, JUST GO TO SOME OTHER POST

STOP READING, mAN

OH, *FINE* I will have to be the mature one and...
HANG UP

NO YOU HANG UP

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

hmmmm fine.

-Greg

Warren Marshall

December 23, 2000, 08:10 PM

"anyway most idiots don't write CSG level editors at the age of 16 (if you don't believe me have a look at http://ehremo.webjump.com/ - the lazy ones among you can save the effort of copying and pasting by simply clicking here)"

Congrats. It's done wonders for your social skills.

Warren Marshall

December 23, 2000, 08:13 PM

"That moment when your creation takes a giant leap and almost means something. I've seen alot of prototype graphic editors, landscapers and FPSs on this site. Although it's repetitive and boring for some who have been there, that's someone's creation.. someone's joy. It's so easy to forget the real reason all of us starting programming, and that's to create. Present a solution, entertainment, etc. I for one welcome all the landscape shots and FPSs and 2d game shots. The little things are the biggest, and I commend this site for continuing to post them. "

Exactly! Nicely said ...

Every IOTD you see posted here is work that someone is proud of. If you're not impressed by it or whatever, that's fine ... but try to remember that there was a point in your programming life when you couldn't do whatever it is that's being shown. You weren't born with all this knowledge in your head.

So when someone else reaches a level you've already passed, I don't think it's necessary to deride it or make stupid comments. Share in their happiness.

Remember, programming is cool ... try to have some fun with it ...