Submitted by Robin Håkanson, posted on December 20, 2000

Image Description, by Robin Håkanson

Here are som screenshots from my TI-82 demo IMATION released during Dreamhack00. It has som nice parts, faked grayscale (LCD screen's has low refresh rate ;) ), tunnels and other stuff that you normaly find in standard PC demos. For all you pepople out there that have you own TI-82 calculator you can download the demo from www.algonet.se/~skede/flum.82p. You will need CRash to run it (if you don't already have it you can find it somewhere on www.ticalc.org). There is also an MPG version of the demo for all you poor fellows that don't have an as kicking TI-82 calculator, it's lokated on ftp://ftp.dreamhack.org/pub/dh00/compos/Oldskool/Imation.mpg. If anyone is intrested in coding TI-82 and Z80 processors i have wrote some artikels about it on www.planetzeus.net (it's pretty good if you know swedish because the artikels seamse to be written in that wierd language ;) ). /Robin Håkanson

Jaap Suter

December 20, 2000, 07:44 PM

The #flipcode channel no longer exists on efnet. It moved to an EnterTheGame server.

Japio

valec

December 20, 2000, 08:38 PM

wow dam cool
i think i have to buy me this ti 82 thing though it is forbidden in my schol BUHAAAAEEE
i don't think that anyone reads this comment (who has the time anyway) but does anyone know some resorces on the net on how to code for the various mobile phones ?

thnx - ASM RULEZ

illm

December 20, 2000, 08:47 PM

The amount of comments here are simply astonishing!

Doing the graphics was some of the more fun things I've done lately, and I can't wait to get working with the sequel :)

illm - did the gfx for imation.

Robin Håkanson

December 20, 2000, 08:49 PM

Yes in a short notice a follow up to this demo will truly be made.. Hopefully can i spam som more shit out of that poor calculator ;)

bye the way.. thanx for all comments..

Slythic

December 20, 2000, 08:53 PM

Hey,

I was planning on buying a graphing calculator already and this IOTD just motivated me even more to get one. Which TI model do you suggest I get, the TI-83Plus(for backwards compatibility) or the TI-89(over all more advanced)?

-Tony

Robin Håkanson

December 20, 2000, 08:58 PM

Well.. get the original TI-82 calculator ofcourse ;) (be careful so you don't get the new ones.. They have removed the matrix bug that makes it possiblie to get hold of the instruktion pointer and code assembly on it ;( )..
The old ones are easy to reconize (look at the mpg).. The new ones look's a lot more hyped..
But yes.. the TI-89 and TI-92 calculators have a LOT more speed

Lucid

December 20, 2000, 11:00 PM

I'd say go with either the 86 or 89... I say those because the 86 is really just an advanced 85, is faster than the 82 & 83, and I have one. I say the 89, because it has all of the cool functions and speed... Both of these have excellent "solvers".. a built in program that can solve equations by just plugging in numbers and variables. So if you typed in 26x+121=151 it'd tell you x is approx. 1.15... of course you could type in harder equations...

Now, more importantly... those that I did not mention...

I dislike the 82 because it is sooo much slower than the other calcs.

I dislike all 83's (plus or otherwise) because the interface is of lesser quality in my opinion.. it is marketed as a more engineeringish calc, but I feel that the others would do just as well.

I like the 85's but I'd chose an 86 over it because of speed.

I dislike the form factor of the 92... Look at one and you'll see what I mean... The 89 is pretty much the same calc, just a diff look... the interfaces on both of these are a little harder to learn to use..

well, thats all I have to say

malkia/eastern.analog

December 20, 2000, 11:29 PM

Zemedelec means AGRICULTURER in bulgarian,

Da zhivej zhivej truda!!!

Yo,... Zemedelec!!!

MK42

December 21, 2000, 03:17 AM

Dunno if you are just trying to pull a pun off his name (Jaap), but there *IS* snow in Japan ... after all they had the winter games a few years ago :)

MK42

MK42

December 21, 2000, 03:20 AM

Hi Jaap!

It seems the #flipcode channel has merged with the IOTD forum :)

- MK42

Mace

December 21, 2000, 04:11 AM

Phew... did you all read these posts?
i did.... at work too :)

And i still get payed.. muahahaha. hrm

Cybok^Guideline

December 21, 2000, 05:06 AM

""i don't think that anyone reads this comment (who has the time anyway)""
I have read the most of 'em, also at work :)

""But does anyone know some resorces on the net on how to code for the various mobile phones ? ""
Yeah, that would be fun, a nokia3210 demo would rock, if you could sent it out by sms, but I guess that's kinda tricky

flure

December 21, 2000, 05:36 AM

wow !
a 132 posts IOTD !
now is the 133rd :))

Peter Mackay

December 21, 2000, 06:22 AM

I had it on a tape that was recorded from a friend. I don't know where it is anymore (most likely I recorder music over it).

Peter Mackay

December 21, 2000, 06:46 AM

People have indeed managed decent 3d on a C64. There was even a 3d construction kit for making your own 3d games.

Anyway, look at the link below. It even has a pretty animated GIF.

Do you believe me now?

- Peter

Zemedelec

December 21, 2000, 07:10 AM

yo, man
e, mersi za raziasnenieto - sega shte chakam predlogenia za rabota ot niakoia shvedska ferma, da im pasa tulenite...
puk i ruchnoto agroproizvodstvo ne e tolkova neblagodarna rabota, ne e kato operiraneto s game dedicated devaisove (moge i consoli), kak mislish :)
a otnosno tezi posti, malko poprekalih ponege ne razbrah che bilo za calculator... inache e jako

fraesch

December 21, 2000, 08:16 AM

Yeah keep on posting!!!

Peter Mackay

December 21, 2000, 08:34 AM

Oops forget that post.

Fabian Giesen

December 21, 2000, 09:31 AM

if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything

This response is totally out offtopic, but I just wanted to express how much I think the above sentence is simply stupid.

If you have nothing to say, then, well, just shut up.
But if you have something to say, then DO say it. If someone annoys you, don't simply do as if he was the nicest person in the world, but say what you think about him so he atleast gets the impression that he is doing something wrong.

This has something to do with fairness imo. It is not fair to give someone the false impression that everyone thinks what he is doing is absolutely perfect because negative comments simply don't reach him.

You don't learn from what you've done right, you learn from the errors you make. Not saying what these problems are is not fair to the original author, because he has no chance to improve if he doesn't know what other people DON'T like about what he does.

And by the way, what Zemedelec said was simply an opinion. Everyone has the right to have his opinion. You don't have to agree with him, but it is the wrong approach to flame him for expressing that opinion.

Just my $0.02

John van der Burg

December 21, 2000, 10:24 AM

Ok, I just had to do a post as well, since I think everyone has posted a message already :)

The screenshots look very cool.
Especially because it has been coded on a calculator! :)

- John

Mace

December 21, 2000, 10:53 AM

flure:
Hmmm, if your post is the 133rd and there are only 2 more under you...
how come the iots says 140 comments?? :)

Khrob

December 21, 2000, 10:56 AM

ok, ok, I submit!! Let's get this thing to 200!!

BlindSheep

December 21, 2000, 11:00 AM

Well, thats for sure the most amazing image i've ever seen! Good work!

DrPetter

December 21, 2000, 11:12 AM

*snyft*
I guess that I will finally have to agree that TI is better than Casio....
All I have managed to accomplish on my Casio 9750G is a bunch of crappy test progs and a few txt-graphic games... all very slow...
hrmm, 33 progs in all... I guess there are you're not the only one to spend too much time progging a calculator... Unfortunately I have to keep myself to the BASIC language, I guess that makes me even more tragic than you... ;)

Anyway, God Jul på er allihopa!

(and for those who don't speak the devined nordic tongue: Merry X-Mas!)

flure

December 21, 2000, 11:23 AM

well, when i wanted to post this ... post :) flipcode was saying 132 comments, but it seems that this number has changed meanwhile :)

DrPetter

December 21, 2000, 11:23 AM

Printf_CorrectEnglish("I guess there are you're not the only one...");

"I guess THAT you're not the only one..."

;)

Rui Martins

December 21, 2000, 11:30 AM

Is this going to 200 or what ?

Nice work, on that calculator.
I really miss my ASM coding days, i Loved it.

See ya

Mattias Vartiainen

December 21, 2000, 11:41 AM

Thought I also should say: very cool thingie.. and it looked great on the bigscreen too..
Please, port it to my abacus so I can watch it at home.. ;)

A'r-Ci-O'oh

December 21, 2000, 12:44 PM

Love that TI graphics! Used to program on a CoCo 3 and a C64, but like more the ASM of the calculators (both HP 48 & TI 82 ).

Keep on the good work!

Y porque ya no ponen mensajes en otros idiomas?
(Why doesn't anybody post messages in other languages? )

- Roland

Chaoswizard

December 21, 2000, 12:54 PM

It seems resistance is futile... my message will be assimilated ;-)

Nice screenshots for a handheld, but I don't know anything about a TI so I probably cannot really appreciate them.

Chaoswizard

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... out of 7) Next Last