Submitted by Robin Håkanson, posted on December 20, 2000

Image Description, by Robin Håkanson

Here are som screenshots from my TI-82 demo IMATION released during Dreamhack00. It has som nice parts, faked grayscale (LCD screen's has low refresh rate ;) ), tunnels and other stuff that you normaly find in standard PC demos. For all you pepople out there that have you own TI-82 calculator you can download the demo from www.algonet.se/~skede/flum.82p. You will need CRash to run it (if you don't already have it you can find it somewhere on www.ticalc.org). There is also an MPG version of the demo for all you poor fellows that don't have an as kicking TI-82 calculator, it's lokated on ftp://ftp.dreamhack.org/pub/dh00/compos/Oldskool/Imation.mpg. If anyone is intrested in coding TI-82 and Z80 processors i have wrote some artikels about it on www.planetzeus.net (it's pretty good if you know swedish because the artikels seamse to be written in that wierd language ;) ). /Robin Håkanson

Mr23

December 20, 2000, 04:15 PM

Well, only _1_ comment is in german, and it's not pure german, it's 50:50 german/english :)

the most foreign language posts are swedish (i guess).

Timothy Barnes

December 20, 2000, 04:17 PM

lol. You know what? I was thinking of doing something like this, but I couldn't think of what I should do. :)

{Insert Comment for Comment Generator here}

BlindSheep

December 20, 2000, 04:21 PM

No, i didn't geschrieben this selber. got it from irgendein other forum a little weile ago, don't know it mehr genau. und yes, i like it auch very viel :)

Ogotay

December 20, 2000, 04:33 PM

Oh yeah, before I forget:

=)

Prophylon

December 20, 2000, 04:39 PM

Wow amazing work matey.

I wonder though, what kind of support do those TI-82 things have AT ALL for doing graphics? I assume you can plot a pixel, but is there anything else? Because I know how hell it is to make stuff like this on my lil brother's machine (which I, to be honest, gave up pretty quick). Of course you could plot a pixel, but if I would make one fun thing (bouncing lines, or a 3D cube (line draw algo's are a bitch to put in a lil thing like that)) it would take presumably a lifetime =)

BTW now that I think of it, what exactly is a coded effect and what is a bitmap on your screenshots? Might be just me asking stupid questions, but like I said, I never delved too deep into the matter =)

Keep the good work up!

bit64

December 20, 2000, 04:39 PM

Ok, this is certainly a nice IOTD, and very impressive that it was done on a TI-82. I am doing a project on a TI-82 myself, but I didnt want to post it until I got the lighting just right. TI-Quake. It runs in monochrome but hey, other than that it looks like the real thing, just having problems loading the model files.
If anyone has had experience with this, send me an email.

Did I say good job? good job.

Ogotay

December 20, 2000, 04:41 PM

I've just seen the MPG-file and there is just one thing that sucks badly: the music. Go and get you a better musician ;)))))).

Jari Komppa

December 20, 2000, 04:45 PM

I wasn't bored enough to check your html but you might have forgotten to put tags around the form. Netscape tends to .. be an inferior product =)

MK42

December 20, 2000, 05:35 PM

Now this *is* a pretty bizarre thread, but first things first:

Robin:

That is absolutely cool. It's not just the resulting image that counts, but also the constraints you had to cope with in achieving these images. IMHO, it takes a pretty darn good coder to tickle this much out of a calculator (a CALCULATOR!!!) ... somebody who knows the ins and outs of the hardware he is working on.

To some of the other guys (mostly the bottom half of this thread):

Christmas season must be doing weird things to you :)

- MK42

Stefan Karlsson

December 20, 2000, 05:38 PM

Peter Mackay wrote this:
(In this thread)

"I saw a lot of things in C64 demos that pushed the machine a lot (real-time ray-tracing and the likes), and for someone to turn round and say that it sucks because it's not realistic really bugs. "

YEAH RIGHT!!! Realtime raytracing on a c64.. I guess your father is Michael Jaxxon to? :)

Robin Håkanson

December 20, 2000, 05:41 PM

Everything is coded effekts, even the polygon tunnel (it's coded on the calculator.. but it's not running in realtime).
But hey.. you can plot a pixel.. what more cud you do on a PC before Direct3d and OpenGL came ?

XycsoscyX

December 20, 2000, 05:49 PM

*ducks under all the cannon fodder in the posts* Anyways, nice shot, the animations have got to be groin-grabbingly annoying on the calculator, I played the miniDoom port on my TI-85 (I know I know, booo to the 85) but the pixels are really hard to see, even with grayscale, he he, talk about an eyesore. But that's the fault of the calculator. The shot looks nice, was it kinda just for fun? (or are you a masochist meybe) All us old-time gamers like to see a retreat every now and then (break out the Nintendo Emulator) Just because it's outdated, doesn't mean it bad. :-) ('cept for MicroSoft, he he)

Hannu K.

December 20, 2000, 05:56 PM

Wow, this page is crowded!

I have ti-89. Shame on you, you didn't make your demo for it; I would've downloaded it immediately :)

Robin Håkanson

December 20, 2000, 06:01 PM

TI-89... that's cheating.. you have a lightning fast Motorola CPU and a lot better LCD screen on those killer calculators ;) (but if you would like to see a demo on a TI-89 don't hasitate to send/lend me one ;) )

Robin Håkanson

December 20, 2000, 06:03 PM

You just wait and see IMATION-2 ;)

Robin Håkanson

December 20, 2000, 06:07 PM

Great to know that there are more "stupid" (i've hard that a lot) people out there then me ;)
By the way. I can't have a look at your projekt (even that it's not ready ?)

Robin Håkanson

December 20, 2000, 06:12 PM

It depends on how you specify realtime (have you seen demos from replay running on slower machines then 500Mhz.. if you count them as "realtime" so must it most centenly be possiblie to do hi resolution raytracing in realtime on the C64 ;) )

I'm going to get a LOT of shit for that comment (ehm)..

bit64

December 20, 2000, 06:23 PM

hehe, I was just kidding about the quake =) I wouldnt have a clue where to begin on drawing a line on a TI of any model. =)
Was just trying to sway the thread to a new direction I guess. Anyway, those are some very impressive screens.

richard

December 20, 2000, 06:26 PM

Prettig kerstfeest en een gelukkig nieuwjaar!

(I already said how cool this IOTD is :)

Robin Håkanson

December 20, 2000, 06:28 PM

;(.. then i must be totaly alone then ..

Lucid

December 20, 2000, 06:30 PM

yeah, thats amazing to accomplish on an 82... I have an 86 and have played quite a few games, but until I saw this the best I thought an 82 could do was PimpQuest(that is THE game)...
good job... damn, if this breaks 100 comments I'll be amazed...

Prophylon

December 20, 2000, 06:40 PM

Wow very nice!

Well of course you can plot a pixel, but the little machine needs to make a lot of calculations and stuff to draw lines and fill polys. It must be a lot of fun to write that all yourself (as Jaap still says I should write a software engine (or at least try to ehhe)).

Wish I had one of those babies to test it out =)

Stefan Karlsson

December 20, 2000, 06:41 PM

Well to be honest there was an accel demo who had higher framerate at dreamhacks democompo... But it was to boozy for me... ;P

Stefan Karlsson

December 20, 2000, 06:42 PM

Give one to me and i make a basic version!

Stefan Karlsson

December 20, 2000, 06:44 PM

En svensk krigare skall ha support inte motgång !!

Robin Håkanson

December 20, 2000, 06:44 PM

Well.. the most anoying is that it's 1 bit graphics.. so you must do a lot of extra calculations to find the bit that represent the pixel you wish to draw. And that you only can shift 1 step at the time left and right at the Z80 cpu dosen't make this more easy..
And yes.. it was quite fun to write that "2d tunnel" effekt. it uses 4.4 fixed points ;)

Stefan Karlsson

December 20, 2000, 06:45 PM

Heter cyanid robin håkansson?

Prophylon

December 20, 2000, 06:45 PM

Ja jij ook fijne kerst en een gelukkig en codezaam (nieuw woord?) 2001 eh Richard! =) En de rest trouwens ook. Vieze spam thread is dit lol =)

Stefan Karlsson

December 20, 2000, 06:46 PM

hejsan

Thats the real tag!

Robin Håkanson

December 20, 2000, 06:47 PM

It also has a lot more "design" then my TI-82 demo had ;)

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... out of 7) Next Last