Submitted by CÚdric Guillemet, posted on December 18, 2000

Image Description, by CÚdric Guillemet

Here is a screenshot of my work-in-progress modeler Kapsul3D. It uses OpenGL for rendering. I hope I will release it in January as a freeware. It principal advantage is that it uses plug-ins for quiet everythings.

Features:
  • Fast and Easy modeling with OpenGL.
  • Plug-ins for update of features, file formats.
  • Bones for characters.
  • A script interpreter for directly programming instead of using libs.
  • Procedural textures (via plug-ins).
  • Hierarchical objects.
  • Material editors.
  • Omni and spot lights.
  • An image browser for the material (like ACDSee).
  • Shape and extrusion editing.
  • Multiple desks editing.
  • And much more.
  • Persons interested in trying it and/or making plug-ins or helping me ;-) can mail me at lacrapul@club-internet
    More infos can be found at http://lacrapul.nexen.net

Cedric Guillemet

Densun

December 18, 2000, 01:01 PM

The program and the model look nice!

Krylar

December 18, 2000, 01:02 PM

Looks great! Can't wait to check out the release ;)

-Krylar

Fabian Giesen

December 18, 2000, 01:16 PM

Looks nice, although a bit empty (or the modelling tools are simply organized and grouped in a usable way, a property most of todays modelling packages lack of :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a release version :)

- Hargle -

December 18, 2000, 01:21 PM

Looks great...
    Looking forward to checking the release out. What is it coded in? Win32 API? MFC? Something else? Any suggestions on getting started making myself something simpler for my engines map editor? ;)
    Looks great...

lacrapule

December 18, 2000, 01:24 PM

Fabian Giesen: In fact, the tools plug-ins you can see in the top right (nice icons ;-)) calls a window included in the plug-in DLL. This window appears in the right panel. For that example, the current plug-in (camera) let show the camera dialog.

ps: The model is a sample from Geoff holms.

Revolver

December 18, 2000, 01:31 PM

It seems to be coded in C++Builder. Cedric, do you plan to make it opensource, or at least source-available?

Very nice, by the way - I see a lot of potential.

Vorteks

December 18, 2000, 02:21 PM

Looks awesome! Does it support boolean operations? I'd love to try it.

Ogotay

December 18, 2000, 02:31 PM

Looks very professional and promising, even if I'm not a modeller can't wait to get the final version in my hands :).

Thr33d

December 18, 2000, 03:30 PM

Looks excellent! Reminds me alot of 3d Studio Max (I'm sure you've seen it, and may have based your program's design upon it) if not, you're walking in the footsteps of Discreet/Kinetix and 3d Studio Max.

I'd love to see the program when it's finished - are you planning to make it $$$, free, or even open source?

can't wait for it to come out

-Mike

lacrapule

December 18, 2000, 04:02 PM

Revolver: Yes , it entirely done with c++builder 4 but plug-ins should be written in Visual c++.
    Vorteks: I started a boolean plug-in but didn't spend much time on it.
    Thr33d: Discreet/Kinetix/yost group have done a very good work. 3dstudio is the first modeler I saw and used...so...
    I just want to make a modeler, and not earn money at all. I think I will spend time to make it open source. A plug-in architecture should be usefull for everyone who wants to add a simple I/O. And more constructive plugs for experimented guys. People interested in making things for might send me mail.

Myrmecophagavir

December 18, 2000, 04:14 PM

Looks amazing. Is it targetted at making and rendering scenes like that cityscape, or modelling maps and meshes for game engines? If it's the latter then wahey!

Myrmy

bgl

December 18, 2000, 05:08 PM

This looks like the most complete and useful thing I've seen
    posted here in a long time. Way to go!

Slythic

December 18, 2000, 05:27 PM

It says he plans to release it on January as freeware

-Tony

TeLAMoN

December 18, 2000, 05:58 PM

nice job. the plug-in idea sounds great. - maybe I've only to write a plug-in instead a whole modeller for my engine.
    uhmm, yes I'm one of the lazy coders... ;)===)

Slyce

December 18, 2000, 06:24 PM

Nice

richard

December 18, 2000, 06:31 PM

Wow, looks great!

luther2k

December 19, 2000, 01:03 AM

Nice work man.. too many people doing 3d modelling programs, I've got to hurry up and finish mine before it goes out of fashion :)

Tim.

StiNKy

December 19, 2000, 01:33 AM

all I can say is.. wow.... that is really nice!

shrike

December 19, 2000, 04:17 AM

Very awesome looking. I hope you post it to flipcode when you finish the program.

I will probably make a modeller myself, but there is no way that it will be as nice looking as that. I'm still learning the ropes.

Cybok^Guideline

December 19, 2000, 05:00 AM

that looks realy nice, good plan to include plug-in-code

Jinja

December 19, 2000, 05:33 AM

It looks good.

You mention that you have bones for characters. Can you animate with your package aswell?
    Does it support IK and keyframing?

Have you documented your file format, or are you going to provide a library that loads your files?

I'm interested in using a package like this it if has some animation (even basic animation)

-Jinja

Dantourin

December 19, 2000, 10:45 AM

Very nice work. I have a couple of questions about the plugins.

How did you develop your plugin interface? Are plugins an automatic result of using c++ builder?
    I have been considering a similar problem, and am vexed as to how I should develop the
    architecture.

Thanks

Cyble

December 19, 2000, 11:22 AM

Wow, looks like a real nice modelling application you got there ! Especially the thing that it will become freeware and the plugin support makes it even greater !

Keep up the good work.

J Lee

December 19, 2000, 11:33 AM

Excellent work. Can't wait to try it out.

cheers
    James

BlindSheep

December 19, 2000, 12:50 PM

Well, thats for sure the most amazing image i've ever seen! Good work!

Stefan Karlsson

December 20, 2000, 01:18 PM

Sounds like 3dsmax but free? =)
    Ehm.. Ok.. just joking but it looks nice..
    I except you will make descent scene export with documentations :)

Since iam not a fan of any of the bloated 3d modellings programs outthere.. i would like to have if you could import .3ds / .lwo etc and then animate in your freeware proggie ;)) That is.. if it as good as you claim ;))

Spanky

December 20, 2000, 03:59 PM

OK. This isn't directly related to the actual image (which is great btw). Its about something thats in it.

I was wondering what the little tabs at the bottom of the level view are called? Its caption is "NoName00" if I am not mistaken. They are very handy things but I have no clue what they are called. They are very usefull for something like a level editor....

Shawn

Revolver

December 20, 2000, 07:29 PM

Those little tabs are called tabs. ;)

The Wolf