Submitted by Lauri Koponen, posted on December 17, 2000

Image Description, by Lauri Koponen

Most of the images here seem to be from 3D-engines or 3D-games, so here's a shot from a game I created with a friend of mine about two years ago, Ufogame. Yes, it's quite old but it hasn't lost any of it's glitter!

Basically, it's a paratroopers-clone, and.. well, not much else :) But try it for yourself, http://www.kolumbus.fi/ld0d/stuff/ufogame1.zip. The reason why I wanted to show this is because we're working on a new (Windows-, perhaps even Linux-) version of ufogame and it's going to rock ;)

You'll have to find DOS4GW.EXE somewhere if you want to try the game. It runs fine under Windows95/98 but I couldn't get it to run under Win2k. Perhaps it's because I'm using MIDAS, who knows. And don't run it under pure DOS without a mouse driver loaded, it won't work too well :) It's a beta anyway... and it'll probably crash after a few games.

There is no documentation in that zip, use arrow keys to turn the cannon and space to shoot.. Simple.

I have some other screenshots from my misc. demoeffects at http://www.kolumbus.fi/ld0d/stuff/ and even my Assembly'2k 64k intro (I placed 3rd! whee!) is there.

- ld0d

Kurt Miller

December 17, 2000, 03:50 AM

That's a fun little game... nice work. What's planned for the Windows/Linux version?

Jolle

December 17, 2000, 08:01 AM

Looks fun, I like that kind of games. Can't wait until I've tried it.

ld0d

December 17, 2000, 11:30 AM

The new version is still quite under construction, and we're adding features as we make them up :)

Try http://impulse.ath.cx/~ld0d/ufogame

a_j_harvey

December 17, 2000, 07:04 PM

These games are fun. There was one by epic, I *think*, that had really good sound.

Ogotay

December 17, 2000, 10:08 PM

Argh, as an absolute hardcoresupadupahypermegaultra gamer ;) I have chosen (of course!) the ultrahypermegahard difficulty. Guess what, each time I was dead after about 3-4 seconds ;). Nice game though, I remember to play a similiar one view years ago but it was shareware, and as a pure teenager (sniff sniff) I never buyed the full version even since I wanted to play the whole game. So if you'll finish your windows version and make it free let me know =).

Mace

December 18, 2000, 04:05 AM

Ogotay: Do you mean Nightraid?
That game was "the" coolest paratrooper clone.

btw, nice game :)

ld0d

December 18, 2000, 07:16 AM

The windows version will be released under GPL, so if you want to code something to it, just let me know :)

Ogotay

December 18, 2000, 07:51 AM

Hey, I think the game was called Nightraid or sumthin indeed... like there was a Pizza Break and corpse splashing? Yeah that was cool :))))

Ogotay

December 18, 2000, 07:59 AM

Id0d: Well, actually I asked if the game would be free not because I wanted to add something to it but rather play the whole game not only a demo or shareware :).