Submitted by Jacco Bikker, posted on December 11, 2000

Image Description, by Jacco Bikker

These are screenshots of a version of Lemmings for Windows CE that I made in the last three weeks. As you can see, almost everything is in: The floaters, climbers, bridgers, bashers and even the Armageddon button. I used the art from a demo version of Lemmings for Windows, I hope that is OK with Psygnosis. :) Actually, I tried to contact them, but their site is 'under construction'. Anyway, if you own a WinCE device, let me know; I'll send you the executable and sources if you wish. This game is a demonstration for my WinCE game/demo development libraray, called 'EasyCE', and will be spread with full source code once this library is finised. The library itself is a bit like OpenPTC (www.gaffer.org/ptc), and it adds up to 32 greyscale capability to 2bit WinCE LCD displays. This feature is being used for Lemmings, as you can see.

Most important thing: This game runs currently on a very limited range of WinCE devices. It has been tested on the Philips Nino and the Casio E10. It will probably work on all greyscale (2bit) palmsize PC's. NOT on color devices. I hope to support all devices in the final version of the library (and game).

These 'shots' are raw dumps of the internal 8bit framebuffer. The actual image quality on the LCD display is not this good; there is a slight banding effect and the maximum amount of greyscales used in this game is 16. Third: In one of the shots, a 'climber' is within the wall. This is a 'known bug'. :)

OK, back to the 3D stuff. :)

Khrob

December 11, 2000, 01:34 AM

Great to see something from a different platform up!

Excellent work Jacco!

Max

December 11, 2000, 01:40 AM

I'm really impressed you did that in three weeks.

Max

Scrambled Monkey

December 11, 2000, 01:57 AM

Rad, I loved that game on the Amiga. Looks like it's coming together nicely..
Dan

Wolfgang Engel

December 11, 2000, 02:21 AM

Does it run in a WinCE emulation ?

DirtyPunk

December 11, 2000, 02:30 AM

what is the performance like?

Mace

December 11, 2000, 04:06 AM

Ok, that does it.
I am definetly going to buy Lemmings Revolution for christmas...
to myself of course :)

If i remember it correctly, Psygnosis STOLE the game idea for Lemmings from DMA :/

Jonas Norberg

December 11, 2000, 04:07 AM

That looks great, Hope it will be as entertaining as the original. It is good to see that someone is developing for something else than windows/geforce.

Saad Faisal

December 11, 2000, 04:40 AM

Nice work Jacco, i would like to see the demo.

Raspberry

December 11, 2000, 05:52 AM

I thought that Psygnosis bought up the guy that did lemmings? I thought he was a bedroom programmer. Anyway, hope you don't get sued or anything, and good luck on completing the library, it looks like something than might be big for the platform later on, and I already want to write something with it (PS2:-) (man with PS2 on the mind)

gmcbay

December 11, 2000, 05:59 AM

Psygnosis never 'stole' the idea for Lemmings from DMA.

DMA Developed Lemmings, Psygnosis published it (Psygnosis also published various other DMA Design games, including Menace, Blood Money, etc.)

Saying that Psygnosis 'stole' it is like saying 'Activision stole the idea for Quake3 from id Software'.

Mace

December 11, 2000, 06:19 AM

hehe, well it sounded like that from what the vid game magazines wrote. Just wanted to see your reaction and bring some clearity into it :)

Mace

December 11, 2000, 06:26 AM

But did DMA get any $$$ from Lemmings?
I´ve lost my old articles :)

I love DMA because they put more time on originallity than any other company i know of.

LordDaha

December 11, 2000, 06:35 AM

I hope you don't get into trouble with Psygnosis if you release this. I remember some guy making a freeware win32 lemmings clone. It had new code, new levels, new sounds, just some art (the character animations) and the name was 'borrowed', but he had to retract it from the public domain....

oisyn

December 11, 2000, 07:59 AM

I Don't think psygnosis will make much of a deal from your post here.
A friend of mine wrote a paratrooper-game for the Atari-Lynx 3 or 4 years ago, and for the paratroopers he used lemmings :). He asked psygnosis for permission, and they gave it to him...

Phantom

December 11, 2000, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback, dudes. Some answers and other things:
Max: Yep, just three weeks. :) But man, did I underestimate the finishing touches. :) I said 'two more hours' to Jaap, two weeks ago. :))
Wolfgang: No it doesn't, since I use many undocumented WinCE features (especially direct frame buffer access). I'm not even sure if I will ever get it to run on a PocketPC. :(
Conor: The performance is excellent. Currently, the mainloop updates the screen once ver cycle (that's a full 240x320 if's for the greyscale emulation), but the lemmings are updated only once every eight cycles. Using that 'delay', I get approximately the same speed as the original, for 40 lemmings. The code is completely unoptimized, and I guess I could get 250+ lemmings on the screen if I update some of them every cycle. So, no performance problems at all.
Saad: Please send me an e-mail, and I'll direct it to you.

About Psygnosis: I tried to contact them, but they have an 'under construction' website at the moment. I do intend to ask them permission; if I don't get it, I will just add a link to the lemmings demo (wich contains the art) so all I add is a program that happens to work correctly using that data. :)

- Phantom

Vander Nunes

December 11, 2000, 09:39 AM

Hey Jacco, is that link to your HP (on your account info) pointing correctly??? It pointed me to "WinAlice"... whats up?

BTW, cool work!

Nick

December 11, 2000, 10:40 AM

Hey that looks really great! ;)

I have to warn you about using the art from the real game. Even using the name "Lemmings" can be dangerous:

My twin brother has programmed "Worms" for the psion 3c. When he mailed Team17 about his creation they said he was violating some copyright laws, they were especially upset with the fact that it was also called "Worms". Even the fact that he advertised the real game didn't change their mind. Now he has renamed his project to Zher0es and made his own characters...

The Wolf

December 11, 2000, 11:18 AM

nice work

Hannu Kankaanpää.

December 11, 2000, 02:32 PM

Looks amazing! Just like the original

Vander Nunes

December 11, 2000, 03:13 PM

Hmmm so the link was OK... WinAlice knocks in a hot domain for me.

I have read some old AI books, and it's a topic I'll come back in the near future.

Nifty!

ZEN

December 11, 2000, 03:32 PM

that is sweet, the lemmings data must be pretty simple, maybe you should post the format so everyone can make lemmings games, that would make Psygnosis happy and give them a reason to get their website back online. :P

does anyone know the market for WinCE games, or is there one yet?

Bagheera

December 11, 2000, 03:57 PM

Businessmen who may frequently travel, spend long hours on airplanes and in hotel rooms, yeah I think it would be a hot market for someone to step into (especially if you constrained costs).

a_j_harvey

December 11, 2000, 05:30 PM

I think I'm going to pull out my lemmings disk - my sbpro came with lemmings & indy 500 (if you think about it, during that era all the good pc games came straight from amiga & looked like **** compared to the original - still good games tho)

Nathan Hoobler

December 11, 2000, 10:29 PM

Great, now he's opened up a whole new market...
Now we'll be flooded with CE-based terrain engines and Q2 viewers as well as our standard OpenGL faire =)

Seriously, it is interesting to see CE being exploited some. I have not heard much in the way of developments for the platform lately. Nice to see someone using it.

Khrob

December 11, 2000, 11:00 PM

How about a gameboy emulator for CE?
That'd be a fun little project!

bgl

December 11, 2000, 11:58 PM

Y'all know that "under construction" means "out of business"
or "domain for sale" right? No real company with actual business
would "turn off the phones for a little while."

Anyway, whomever bought the spoils probably still owns the
Lemming copyright, and it's pretty much NEVER "OK" to "borrow"
art or names. Just don't do it. Draw your own, it's much safer
and better fun to boot :-)

Purple Viking

December 12, 2000, 02:16 AM

There is one already. :)

malkia/eastern.analog

December 12, 2000, 03:53 AM

I think Psygnosis are now part of Sony, specialized
in PS2 development, but I may be wrong.... The same
like with VERANT - but they are with INTERNETGAMING

2D is BACK with lot's of CRACK & HACK!... i love it

---------------------------------------------------

Kurt: If I go on some link on flipcode.com and go
back - i'm getting again POPPING UP jams.........

Phantom

December 12, 2000, 03:57 AM

There seems to be a reasonable market for PocketPC applications and games. Check out www.jimmy.com: These guys are actually doing WinCE games for a living. But I doubt that there will be place for another company, especially given the rather high standards set by Jimmy Software.